Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:20 AM   #541

Thanks Eddie. Your comparison shows the added viewing area of the wide angle lens. Now could you do the same thing but pay attention to the settings. I want to see quality difference. Is the noise in the second image happening all the time? Using Aperture priority set it to about mid range. Then take your picture. Change lenses and take the same picture. Only the shutter speed should change to compensate for the lighting difference between the lenses. Both pics should then be a good comparison to show the real difference between the lenses. Thanks for doing this. I was off this week to see about the wide angle lens. This one is by Fuji and costs $200 Cdn. Thats almost the cost of the camera. Do you think the price is worth the difference in the photo area?
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:48 AM   #542

Personally, I don't think I would spring for that kind of $$$ on a lens for this camera, unless It was a bigger thread mount ( like 70 MM) so I could use it in the future with another DSLR unit, that I hope to step up to some day.This was 50 bucks, and I use it to take close-ups of my wife's jewelry she makes.. like bracelets. I can get the detail and width now. I've taken some shots that have no noise and of the same quality as the stock lens. Both these shots I blew in that manner :O

As subtle as the area afforded in this lens is, it with take some composing to learn its sweet spot, of that I'm certain.
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:19 AM   #543

The thing I actually like about the S700 is the fact you cant buy much for it. There is a wide angle threaded lens (28mm), and a telephoto one as well although the store hasnt got one. No flash choice, no huge barrel lenses. So it all fits nicely in the small camera bag I got for this camera. All my accessories from my 35mm fit this baby so I use them all. If I go to DSLR I know I will always be looking at the bigger better lens. The faster and brighter flash, slave units, more flash, more lenses, more, more, more. Photography is only something I enjoy doing. The results Im getting are just fine and the camera only cost $260. Thanks for your info Eddie. Im convinced to go with my lens as I can see the possibilities of its additional image area.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:14 PM   #544

You make some very excellent points Bynx-

Since last october, focused on reducing the size of my camera kit. It looks like the Canon S-5 will probably be my camera choice as I want a long zoom, a hotshoe,and IS. The Canon G-7 or G-9 are contenders but I miss that extra zoom and I am suspicious of more mp on the same CCD on the G-9.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:18 PM   #545

Hey guys, I finally got my S700! I love it, it's got everything I want. I've taken quite a few pics, and this one is probably my favorite I have taken. It's a self portrait.

Also, I want to find a decent telephoto lens for $50 at most that won't decrease image quality. I can't get a close enough shot as I would like when shooting birds and other small animals. Does anyone happen to know any good ones?

seisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:32 AM   #546

I bought a 2X lens and its just OK. I thought it would "double" the zoom capacity, but it really doesn't in the "close field", as you'd be in shooting birds and things. I guess you could try a 3X lens....????

I like your picture, were you really sleeping :-)

Here are a few I took this evening.....

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:43 AM   #547

what lens did you get? opteka?

and, no I wasn't sleeping. that would have had to been a longgggggg timer, haha.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:42 AM   #548

seisky-

Welcome to the S-700 gallery. Congratulations on your new S-700. Your first posted photo was very creative. I like to mood it sets.

Eddie-

Another two great photos. Very well done!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:18 PM   #549

With my daughters help I pulled this off. She got pretty cold and wet by the time we finished.
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:55 PM   #550

I love that pic Bynx! good work!