Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:42 AM   #581

Really nice shots Lordy. Do you find an advantage to shooting in black and white in-camera versus simply shooting in colour and using a desaturate in your editing suite to acheive the same end result? I have a soft spot for black and white photography from years spent shooting and developing it in the darkroom ... but with digital editing now, I'd be inclined to shoot everything colour and just use a desaturate to create the B&W effect.

Eddie - what's the ISO on that first shot? The sky seems a bit noisy. Was that 800 or 1600? I do like the 3rd shot ... it would make a nice 'twilight' desktop background for dark themes.

Oh, here's a question for anyone who might have an answer. Does the S700 use standard 'removable drive' transfer protocols? I run linux on my PC, and while I've never run across a camera that WON'T pop up as a removable drive when connected by USB, I'd hate to find out that this is one.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:47 AM   #582

Digitalink-

I believe that the S-700 does use that protocol, but I am not absolutely sure as I always use a chip reader.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:03 PM   #583

3 Fuji's I've used (F20, S6000fd, F650) have all been read as removable drives.

DigitaLink wrote:
Quote:
Oh, here's a question for anyone who might have an answer. Does the S700 use standard 'removable drive' transfer protocols? I run linux on my PC, and while I've never run across a camera that WON'T pop up as a removable drive when connected by USB, I'd hate to find out that this is one.
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:31 PM   #584

Fabulous. I really hope it comes back in stock soon ... I'm quite anxious to get back into photography again. It's been a while since I've done anything more than family snapshots. This thread has been very inspirational. (Even if it took me two days to read through it all and check out the images!!)
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:23 PM   #585

The sun just popped through the clouds, after rain all morning. So I grabbed my S-700 and went out on the back deck. 'Hope you are having a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:30 PM   #586

Nice view Sarah. Many should be so lucky.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:47 PM   #587

DigitaLink wrote:
Quote:
Really nice shots Lordy. Do you find an advantage to shooting in black and white in-camera versus simply shooting in colour and using a desaturate in your editing suite to acheive the same end result? I have a soft spot for black and white photography from years spent shooting and developing it in the darkroom ... but with digital editing now, I'd be inclined to shoot everything colour and just use a desaturate to create the B&W effect.

Well, I have to say I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to photography, but I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that using desaturate on photoshop etcisn't the best way to achieve good black and white shots.I read up on photoshop tips and tricks etc and they all seem to have clever ways of achieving good B&W shots.Using layer masks etc.

I've got the virtual photograpther plug-in installed on my photoshophttp://www.optikvervelabs.com/and I've always used that for various black and white effects.Great for colour too,and its free :-)

I'd still say though that using the B&W mode on the Fuji700 is the best way, nope, I haven't yet achieved the same B&W quality by converting a colour picture into B&W!!

So its Fuji B&W mode all the way for me :-)

Does anyone know what the Chrome shooting mode is? Whats the difference?

Lordy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:55 PM   #588

DigitaLink wrote:
Quote:
Fabulous. I really hope it comes back in stock soon ... I'm quite anxious to get back into photography again. It's been a while since I've done anything more than family snapshots. This thread has been very inspirational. (Even if it took me two days to read through it all and check out the images!!)
Have you tried eBay for the camera? It's full of them!!!

I got mine for £95/ $189 on eBay,so you should be able to get a slightly cheaper deal in the USA.I would of got mine from the USA,but the shipping to the UKcounteracts the cheap price in the end.

Yes it was this thread that made me go for the Fuji, the pics are are all amazing, and this camera does not dissappoint!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:43 PM   #589

Sorry I have to disagree with your choice Lordy. I would never shoot in B&W. Having the full range of color gives me the choice of having it later in B&W or not. If its only in B&W then there is no choice. Also shooting in B&W is letting the camera do digitally what you can do yourself digitally to produce the same thing. I will always let me do the work whenever I can. But if your happy with your results then best of luck to ya.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:52 PM   #590

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Sorry I have to disagree with your choice Lordy. I would never shoot in B&W. Having the full range of color gives me the choice of having it later in B&W or not. If its only in B&W then there is no choice. Also shooting in B&W is letting the camera do digitally what you can do yourself digitally to produce the same thing. I will always let me do the work whenever I can. But if your happy with your results then best of luck to ya.
I think you right Bynxactually,just about :-).

Well,I've just been experimenting on photoshop,I had a colour shot of one of my B&W shots too, turning the colour into B&W looks the same to me either desaturating,or using my optikVerve Labs plug-in.

Then again, it's possible the original B&W shot is a bit sharper and clearer.

I think I'll uploadsome examples for comparison.