Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:33 PM   #591

Here's my comparison shot's.I think the best ones are the B&W original and the optikVerves lab one.The desaturated one is a bit lifeless.The OptikVerve sepia is nice also.

Is it me or is the original a bit sharper and artistic looking than the optikVerve labs B&W? Or is the original just a shade darker?

It's very hard to tell!
Attached Images

Lordy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:38 PM   #592

Lordy-

We all learn and progress by taking our photos. I happen to agree with Bynx. Your photos would be much more interesting in color.

Bynx-

It was fun to use the S-700 again today. I am afraid that I am not as creative as you ar Bynx. I have been rather amazed by your series of "drop" photo. So I have to depend on landscapes, like the one I posted today, and rather ordinary local photos.

However, it is good to be back posting in the S-700 thread. We will be home until 04/25 or 04/26 when we head out again on another contract re-positioning the Royal Princess from Fort Lauderdale across the Atlantic, then doing a full Baltic Captials cruise before we arrive in Stockholm on 05/21.

Then things move forward at warp speed. Once we leave Stockholm on 05/21 we will be "on the road" until 09/15, when we have a week at home.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:47 PM   #593

Lordy - I'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than I would waiting for Shoppers to re-stock it here. Sticker is $249.99 ... Plus tax it's $282.49. I have a $150.00 cash reward with my Optimum card there ... so MY cost out of pocket is $132.49. Brand new, right off the shelf. Easy return if it's DOA. Cheapest I see on eBay right now is $117 + $35 shipping. So $152. Plus exchange and fees and all that extra hassle ... worrying about damage in shipping ... plus it's an open box item with a limited warranty. I'll pass.

I'm actually going to stop in there tomorrow and see how long it would take them to order one in for me. I'd really like to get it before the ice melts off the lakes and rivers around here. And before the deer decide to retreat back into the bush. On our drive home from the store tonight there were at least 13 along the sides of the road. We stopped and watched most of them for several minutes, about 20 feet away. They just stood there and stared at us ... and went back to eating off the sides of the road.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of photoshop. I can't justify spending THAT much money on it when there's little it will do that I can't accomplish with The GIMP for free (on Linux and Windows ... OSX too although I don't have a Mac). Granted, it did take me a good month and a good eBook to learn most of the ins and outs of The GIMP,
but it was worth it. Solid package that's improving all the time. (I'm very into cross-platform applications so I can use the same software at home and at work.) I know there's been a lot of work going on (Google involvement) to get Photoshop CS2 running on Linux, but short of pirating it, there's no way I'd ever get my hands on it. And I prefer not to run cracked software. Part of the reason I ditched Windows years ago. Of course, I just read a survey taken last week that showed that something like 80% of Photoshop users are running pirated versions. That's just scary.

Sarah - you have an enviable view off your back deck. Absolutely gorgeous!! Nice shot.

Geeze ... everybody seems to be online right now! Looking at your comparisons, I agree that the Fuji B&W does seem to give the best results over a straight desaturation. But then again, some of that could be re-captured by adjusting the levels in software. And I must admit - the black and white version DOES look better than the colour to me. At least in this instance.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:12 PM   #594

Sorry if I implied I prefer color over B&W. Thats not the case. But I will never shoot B&W but prefer to make it so from a color shot. I always like the choice. Sometimes a B&W is really good for atmosphere and timelessness. Usually I like the color. I suppose we could all run down to a local cave and finger paint but we have the resources and so I choose to use them. I suggest perhaps, take your B&W original and try to match it with an altered color version. Not the one click route but using the program more fully. There are how to's that explain how to convert color to B&W which give excellent results.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:43 AM   #595

Damnedest cherry blossom I've ever seen.....

You think it has to do with global warming?

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 7:35 AM   #596

Looks like popcorn on a stick. I like the shot and the composition.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:22 AM   #597

In the final analysis, we all take and show photos that we like and prefer. So I find no problem with many different modes of expression.

However, take for example Eddie's really excellent photo of Seattle's Space Needle. If it had been in black and white, IMHO it would had had far less impact. I really prefer it in color and that is nothing more than my own personal preference.

Have a great day, every one!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:23 AM   #598

I think the point is how we arrive at the B&W and not whether we prefer it over color. Straight from the camera or in post processing. Im sure the camera output in B&W can be duplicated, at least as accurately in Photoshop from a color shot. But you can never get a color shot nearly as accurate from a B&W. I prefer to have a choice.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:17 PM   #599

ARGH!!! Checked back with the store this morning ... out of stock and discontinued. So they won't be getting the S700 back in! Booooooooooooooooooooooo ...

*sigh* That put a downer on my day. Guess I'll have to see what they bring in to fill that little ultrazoom void ... or save up for an actual dSLR. I think I can talk my wife into letting me get one. LOL
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:35 PM   #600

Hi All! Hello from Russia)))
Attached Images

Inbox is offline   Reply With Quote