Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:32 AM   #611

digitalink-

You are off to anexcellentbeginning with the S-700. Like Bynx, I, too attempt to stay away from digital zoom. I am glad that you like the photo of the Crown Princess in San Juan. We were doing a contract on her, when that photo was taken.

This summere we will be doing a similar contract, but the ship will be the Caribbean Princess.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:19 PM   #612

Yeah, the noise was more than I was expected. I wonder too if some of that may be attributed to the temperature when shooting. It was only 1 or 2 degrees above freezing ... and my fingers were getting pretty numb by the end of a half hour or so of shooting.

Here is one more from last night's shoot ... it was a bit too blurred to be good as a photo, but it works out okay after running the oil painting filter over it.

I am now seriously considering looking into a teleconverter lens to get a larger optical range though. Not right away, but maybe in the next year or so.

Found out last night my brother is getting rid of his Canon Rebel dSLR and has the new S1000fd on order to replace it. They swear by Fuji digitals. I might have to try borrowing that one once he gets to to see how it compares to the S700. Especially since it's one I briefly considered getting.

I love new toys.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:32 PM   #613

digitalink-

You were not only facing very cold weather, but a lot less than normal lighting as well. It was not the S-700's fault nor your fault, it was simply the fact that the S-700 has a F 3.5 lens instead of a F 2.8 lens.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:29 PM   #614

Yeah, that would be one advantage the s1000fd has - f2.8 lens. But from what I've found in researching, NO camera out there right now gives you EVERYTHING you could possibly want in one package. There's always a small compromise here and a feature someone else has there. But all around, it's still tough to beat this little package!

Eventually I'm going to try playing with bracketing and HDR. I think I'll wait 'til I have a tripod for that though.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:33 PM   #615

Yep....the digital zoom is better left off. I've fooled with a WA and a 2X lens.....and find it lacking somewhat. Under certain circumstances, they work OK, but I feel this cameras sensor was engineered to be used with its design (point and shoot fixed lens) and to expand beyond its "out of the box" capabilities, is not what the designers had in mind.

Hey....why not we all get together and sit on my bench and figger it out, eh?

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:16 AM   #616

Another great shot, Eddie-

I always enjoy seeing you photos. They ae always great and very pictorial. Congratuations! well done!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:41 PM   #617

DigitalLink, it's nice to see you finally got your camera!

I've only had mine since January and the novelty still hasnt worn off.

I saw you couldn't get the AF to work correctly,how about manual focus?

I can't get my manual focus to work, I tried taking some pics of a full moon but the AF just wouldnt do it, can anyone help?
Lordy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:09 PM   #618

I think if you get bored with this camera you get bored with photography. Its got more than a lot of us need to keep us busy. I do my best stuff when Im bored.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:47 PM   #619

Bynx, your pics never cease to amaze me. What the heck are you burning in that one? Very cool stuff.

Here's one I took tonight of a neighbour's cat who likes to come over and visit. His name's mischief, and was a stray born to a stray in the neighbourhood 10 or 12 years ago. He's a real sweety - and you'll notice he has no tail. Lost it to frost bite before we ever moved into our place.

Thought it was a nice little capture of him. Especially since he wouldn't stand still. LOL
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:55 PM   #620

The neighborhood crook caught in the act.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote