Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:13 AM   #751

ok.
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:48 PM   #752

My brother ordered the s1000fd when it was announced, and quickly returned it. His opinion was that outside of the bigger zoom, the s700 is a better camera and took better images. Kind of made me glad I went with the s700 instead of waiting for its successor to show up on store shelves.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:58 PM   #753

agree, but S1000d priced aout x1.5 times lower :-)
for some people is significant.
and little wider lens - more actual for someone, than picture quality :-)

me especially, thinks, changing lens(not senor)is most mustake.
non-retractable lens for entry-level model - really advantage and way to save money on warrany(not reatractable lens - no one - comes to service, broken in related even, or because better overall dc survivability(himidity, sock and etc))for company.

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:21 PM   #754

One missing feature I didnt like about the S1000 is the lack of threading on the lens front. Therefore it cant take filters. I use filters from my 35mm camera all the time. I also just purchased a wide angle screw on lens attachment for the S700. The lens, made by Fuji for the S series camera has a 58mm thread so a 46 to 58mm step up ring is required. The lens is quite large and so prevents the use of the built-in flash. Pictures taken with the flash show a large half circle of black at the bottom of the picture. The lens quality is excellent and the cost is not cheap. $250 Cdn. which is about the cost of the camera itself. But I think it is worth the money considering it gives that extra area of scene you wouldnt get otherwise. Besides that there isnt many accessories for the camera so one or two is just icing on the cake. As soon as I shoot some comparative shots I will post them here.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:30 AM   #755

With camera on tripod and settings the same, here are two shots showing comparison between camera lens and add on lens. In both cases the camera was set to wide angle. Whether the small difference in coverage is worth the cost is subjective. Ive still got to shoot a serious picture to decide if it was worth it to me.
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:59 PM   #756

Hiya folks! Trying to catch up on all I've missed lately. Been real busy since i went back to work after a 4 year break. LOL :lol: working sucks. Getting ready for a trip to the Western Caribbean in Sept so should have tons of pics to upload when we get back.

As a side note, I purchased a S8100fd. I thought that with the 18x it should be far superior to the S700. Boy was I wrong, I will continue to use my S700. IMHO it takes much better pictures so I took the S8100fd back. I guess newer and much more expensive isn't always better. Didn't find the higher ISO of any use due to graininess and the lower aperture is not a good replacement with ISO. The 10 megapixel does not make up for inadequate quality of the pictures as compared to the S700.

Just my thoughts though.

I also purchased a cheap Vivitar for underwater shots. No optical zoom but it is at least a 6 megapixel so I may post a few underwater shots here if nobody objects to that.

carrolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:07 PM   #757

I strapped my tripod to my bicycle and took a ride through the woods.
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:32 PM   #758

Cool shot Bynx! That reminds me ... time to check at the repair shop to see if my bike is ready to roll again or not.

How did you strap the tripod to the bike to get a reasonably stable shot like that?
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:07 PM   #759

I tied the tripod on sideways with lots of polypropylene rope.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:43 PM   #760

Hi Bynx-

Well, we are just back from another contract and I thought that I ought to contribute to the Fuji S-700 photo pool.

Yes, it is a very ordinary existing light photo taken withouth flash, using Shadow WB. But it does demonstrate how easy it is to take photos with the S-700.

Many thanks Bynx for keeping the home fires burning with this thread. We hope that you are enjoying a wonderful weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote