Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 3, 2008, 6:30 PM   #761

Hi Bynx-

Just to add a bit of contrast. Here is a Fuji S-8000 photo taken with virtually the same settings as my previous photo with the Fuji S-700. You can rather easily see the Fuji genes runing through both cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 8:50 PM   #762

Talk about beeing a "nooob" I inadvertently started a new thread instead of adding to this one. So anyway -

I am new to the forums but regularly check this site for news on cameras.

It was my birthday so I treated myself to the Fuji S700. I was looking at the Panasonic FZ18, but could not find one. The Fugi was priced right so I got it.

I am absolutely a beginning amatuer. I am hoping to learn how to use manual settings with the Fugi. So far I have used auto settings.

I am looking for a book that explains manual settings in a way that a total newbie can uderstand. I got this book "Digital Photography - The Missing Manual" Haven't had a chance to do more than browse through it yet. I sure would appreciate any advise on a good book.

I here are some macro shots that I was pleased with-

Here is a bug:

Here is a flower:

And a tomato:

I am enjoying the camera and am going camping next week so I hope to get some good shots of... well of something :-)

Any comments, criticisms, advise is welcome.

Oh yeah and I resized the pictures in Microsoft Photo Manager as I have no photo editing software yet.
Perigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:50 PM   #763

Welcome to the thread Perigon! Nice shots for a "noob"!! The S700 really shines with it's macro modes. Probably what I use it for most. I like macro photography.

If you're looking for some photo editing software and don't want to fork out hundreds or thousands of dollars, I recommend The GIMP. (gimp.org) Absolutely free, and will blow away that Microsoft photo manager. Most people will probably recommend Photoshop, but it's 700 bucks. More than most people need. To learn how to use GIMP, check out this - http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/ It helped me through the learning curve a few years ago. Now I swear by it.

If you're looking for ways to challenge yourself to shoot new things in new ways, check out the little flickr group starting - 3Day Challenge. We pick themes and get a few days to come up with shots. Here's my latest for the "curves" challenge.

It's a macro shot of the inner threads of a metal water bottle run through the Neon filter in The GIMP. Has a certain night time long exposure playing with coloured lights feel to it. But it's a water bottle.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:54 AM   #764

Perigon and DigitaLink-

Thanks for some excellent photos. It is very nice, and it increases the fun,when we increased activity on this thread. Have a great day and thanks for your contributions.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:22 PM   #765

Well Sarah the S800 shot of your husband seems a lot sharper than the S700. I like the clarity. I will be looking for a new camera soon. I lost internet for a week so I wont be on much until it returns next Tuesday.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:01 PM   #766

Is this the longest post of all time?
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:28 PM   #767

Well heck....is everybody back

I'll add something to the thread then :lol:

My son, Kameron and I went out on our boat last night to catch some salmon. All we could wrangle up were small ones....so, we decided to fish for rockfish instead. It was pretty darn good fishing, and we caught enough to fillet out for some of our neighbors who can't catch their own...

I kept the carcass to use for crab bait, come Wednesday.

Here he is, well, his hand anyway, holding up a typical fish......

I put my rod down to catch a sunset.....

And here is the sun just about gone.....

Been trying to catch more than fish lately.....I've been giving my flowers a go, but I'm having a pretty hard time capturing them to my liking. Here are some random samples.....tell me what you think :-)

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:57 PM   #768

Hey, i'm back to the forums with plently of new pictures, i'll post one now but that's pretty much all i've got time for tonight.

"blue bells" enjoy!

Attached Images

Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:03 AM   #769

Perigon wrote:
Quote:
Talk about beeing a "nooob" I inadvertently started a new thread instead of adding to this one. So anyway -

I am new to the forums but regularly check this site for news on cameras.

It was my birthday so I treated myself to the Fuji S700. I was looking at the Panasonic FZ18, but could not find one. The Fugi was priced right so I got it.

I am absolutely a beginning amatuer. I am hoping to learn how to use manual settings with the Fugi. So far I have used auto settings.

I am looking for a book that explains manual settings in a way that a total newbie can uderstand. I got this book "Digital Photography - The Missing Manual" Haven't had a chance to do more than browse through it yet. I sure would appreciate any advise on a good book.

I here are some macro shots that I was pleased with-

Here is a bug:

Here is a flower:

And a tomato:

I am enjoying the camera and am going camping next week so I hope to get some good shots of... well of something :-)

Any comments, criticisms, advise is welcome.

Oh yeah and I resized the pictures in Microsoft Photo Manager as I have no photo editing software yet.

Hey, um, you can go on wikipedia, make sure you have ink and look it all up! like for say, aperature, type in search "aperature", make sure it's related to photography however!. That's what I did, printed everything off, and it's pretty easy to understand so I learned in about, a week and a half.
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:30 AM   #770

Hi people, Im new to the site so please be gentle.

Some awesome pics taken on the Fuji there Guy's.

Got this model myself but am struggling with a few issue's such as flash mode at night in portrait and Auto...any tips on getting rid of the bleaching & whiteness i seem to be suffering?

Here's a few pics Taken on my Fuji from the U.K Where i live, not the best pics but im still learning!

Tea with 2 is offline   Reply With Quote