Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 29, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1

I am into cave photography. The problem I am having is that I have been unable to find the menu setting on t he s9100 that allows the camera to synch with a remote slave flash/strobe. When the shutter is triggered, the on-board flash does indeed trigger the remote strobe, but the photo is still dark because synchronization has not occurred (the slave does not fire at the same time as whenthe shutter is open). And, please note that the flash does not require any special settings - these settings must be made on the camera. I use Vivitar 283s with slave sensors attached to them.

My slaves work just fine with the Olympus SP-350 and the Canon A630. For these cameras, there are indeed menu settings for slaves. The resultant lighting of the shots in caves are perfect with these cameras.

Help! Please tell me that I'm spacing out with the s9100. Tell me it's me and not the camera. I love this camera.
caver3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 3:47 PM   #2

My only suggestion would be to make sure that you are not using the redeye mode on your 9100. That will emit a pre-flash that will fool your slave flash units. Also, I think there is a slow sync mode that might help you in this situation.

Now for the disclaimer. I haven't used slave flashes with my 9000. I'm only thinking of what might cause the problem and what I would do try to correct it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:36 PM   #3

Thanks. Well, I've been fiddling with it and I think I may have stumbled on the solution. I activated the "external flash" mode in the menu. Now, this mode is really for theuse of other third-party flash units that are attached to either the hot shoe on the 9100 oron the 9100 via the PC sync connection.

Anyway, after I activated the "external flash",I set up my remote (unattached) slave flash (with sensor)and triggered the camera shutter. The on-board flash fired as usual and the remote slave flash also fired. The photo showed thatthe enhanced lighting due to the slave flash was successful - it was in synch with the shutter.

What is goofy is that this is not clearly explained by Fuji. I did not see this in the manual (unless I'm blind). So, the "external flash" setting serves dual purposes.

caver3d is offline   Reply With Quote