Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:01 PM   #1

Hi,

I am looking to get two cameras: a dSLR and a ultra-compact to carry around in my pocket always. I've been looking around at ultra-compact and currently the front runners are the F10, F20, and F30. Does anybody have any feelings about them? Are the as good as I'm gonna get in an ultra-compact? Will they really fit in my pocket like a wallet or phone would?

I have read that where they really standout from the crowd is at high ISOs in the dark. To save money I'm thinking of getting an older model either used or on clearance. I saw a minimal difference in quality between the the three (particularly the F20 and F30), is there any major incentive to get the newer ones?

Thanks for the help,

Dan IrwinLast edited on Mon Ju
asyouare405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:14 AM   #2

Newegg has recertified F10's on sale for $99. I bought one a month ago and don't regret it. The one thing I don't like about the camera is the proprietary USB cable/battery charger. However, you can buy a separate battery charger on Ebay fairly cheaply. What I like about the camera is its low light performance. ISO 800 images look pretty darned good. Even ISO 1600 pictures are not half bad, suitable, I think, for 5" X 7" prints. Also the battery life is pretty remarkable. I would have bought an F20 if it were still available for $135 at the beginning of May. But it wasn't. Attached is a picture of Seattle's Space Needle taken several weeks ago. I shrunk the image with Microsoft's image resizer.
Attached Images

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:15 AM   #3

I forgot- the F10 is small enough to put it a jacket pocket, but I don't know if it is an ultra compact. I would say it's more of a compact camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:56 AM   #4

nice shot
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:49 AM   #5

Are all of the Fs basicly the same size? B&H and Best Buy seem to carry the F30fd and F40 if i like how they feel will i like the f20 and f10?
asyouare405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:23 PM   #6

The F-10, being the first in the F series, itis a bit more rectangular and chunky. The F-20 wasthe firstmove toward rounded corners and a smaller, thinner camera. It is still not as small as some users out there prefer, but it is smaller.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote