Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 4, 2007, 8:06 PM   #1

Fourquestions:

1. Do you use the "Natural/Flash" double photo setting? If so, how do you like it?

2. What percentage of photos that you take when fully zoomed, blurry?

3. Aside from normal 3x to zero zoom shooting, do you wish you had bought a long zoom camera that has optical image stabilization?

4. I think Fujifilm has to come up with a version with some sort of image stabilization in 2007, other than just increasing the ISO, to keep up with Sony, Canon, Panasonic and others. Heard any rumors? I don't mind waiting till Christmas if there's a chance that a S6x00 with real image stabilization will be released even if it does cost more.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2

1. No.

2. Next to none.

3. No.

4. I think Sony, Canon and Panasonic need to come up with a sensor/image processor combination that can produce decent low light pictures without noise to compete with Fuji. I haven't heard any rumors to this effect.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:52 PM   #3

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
1. No.

2. Next to none.

3. No.

4. I think Sony, Canon and Panasonic need to come up with a sensor/image processor combination that can produce decent low light pictures without noise to compete with Fuji. I haven't heard any rumors to this effect.

the Hun
4. Yes, Fujifilm does have the best low light which is why I want to buy a S6x00fd. But ifone with image stabilizationwill be releasedfor Christmas, then it would be worth waiting for.

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:46 AM   #4

I agree with The Hun!!!

PS.. Why wait you are missing opportunies everyday for a great shot.. imho
:|
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:12 PM   #5

zoomdaddy wrote:
Quote:
I agree with The Hun!!!

PS.. Why wait you are missing opportunies everyday for a great shot.. imho
Using the "Natural/Flash" double shot feature seems so great.Are you and the Hun not using it because itwould use twice the memory orfor another reason?

I have a 7.1 mp Canon camera to tide me over until Christmas so I don't mind waiting. I wouldn't mind buying either a S6x00 or a S9x00 if either incorporates true image stabilization. I actually would like to buy a S9x00 if it would add face detection,image stabilization and Natural/Flash if it doesn't already have that feature, since theS9x00has thehot shoe and flash sync connector.

Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:21 PM   #6

"Are you and the Hun not using it because itwould use twice the memory orfor another reason?"

I haven't really felt a need to use the feature. Once you know what your camera can do, it's relatively easy to choose which photographic technique you need to use to achieve the desired results. Memory useage is irrelevant.

You appear to be convinced that IS is a 'must have' feature...and that's fine - a lot of people share your feelings. If IS is that important to you, why don't you just go out and buy a camera that has that feature? You seem to be expecting Fuji to come out with a complete line of cameras that have IS before Christmas. Maybe you know something we don't...maybe you don't. Eventually they might equip all of their cameras with IS, but what year? I would think that Fuji will continue their trend of developing larger sensors and advanced processing algorithms to further their pursuit of refining low light photography in their next generation of cameras. Their next camera is just liable to have ISO capability of 6400, with a larger sensor and a faster lens than anything they have released previously...and you will still be waiting for the Fuji with IS...good luck.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:37 PM   #7

I'm in agreement with the Hun here also. I have used the 2 shot setting, and wasn't thrilled about it. There are a lot of things on this camera that help a new photographer get better images without a lot of experience, but if you learn technic and understand light, you will benefit much more. Here is a shot at maximum zoom and 2x digital zoom handheld. I was leaning against a rail at the top of the arena with the 6000.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/DSCF1879.jpg

This gives you an idea how far away I was.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/DSCF1904.jpg
Soundman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:29 PM   #8

Soundman,

VERY impressive hand held full zoom shot, indoors yet! My hat is off to your steady hand holding shooting ability. I read elsewhere, (just in general and not in regard to any fugifilm camera), that long zooms without optical orsimilar image stabilization would normally require shooting outdoors in sunlight to be reliably sharp. Your photo has gone a long way to dispelling that idea.

Nice shot,

Skylark
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:07 AM   #9

I agree - an impressive shot, Soundman.

Answer questions:

1. Nope. No point to it, imo.
2. Decreasing in number as I have grown more accustomed to the camera and also improved my technique.
3. I would have really like optical image stabilization, but the other ultrazooms with true IS didn't have the feature set I was looking for.
4. I agree, but not if it means abandoning the super-ccd sensor. In fact, if I was told I could have just one feature added to the S6000fd, I would elect a faster lens - f4.9 at the 300mm zoom is weak when compared with other superzooms that are around f4 or faster at over 400mm.

My fear is that Fuji will abandon the 1/1.7" super-ccd and use a slightly smaller 1/1.8" with high mp, which will most likely increase the imager noise.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:26 PM   #10

Quote:
I agree - an impressive shot, Soundman.

Soundman, could you share what percentage of your 300mm zooms atthat graduationwere as sharp?

Quote:
1. Natural/Flash: Nope. No point to it, imo.
The main reason I'm interested in the Natural/Flash is that when a picture is taken at an indoor party without flash, it seems so unfulfilling for thesubjects. It just seems to need a flash to make the experience feel right. With the S6000's good low light, less flash would be needed but using the Natural/Flash would give me the natural good photo and the flash photo to satisfy the subjects that a photo was taken. Maybe some shooters can relate to what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
3. I would have really like optical image stabilization, but the other ultrazooms with true IS didn't have the feature set I was looking for.
Amen to that! I love the S6x00's low light and feature set. I think a moving CCD type image stabilization would be perfect, provided of course like you say, that Fuji does not abandon the super-CCD. A moving CCD image stabilization would allow the current lens to still work. It would also allow any lens to work on Fugifilm's dslr and still retain image stabilization similar to how the Sony A-100 works.

Quote:
My fear is that Fuji will abandon the 1/1.7" super-ccd and use a slightly smaller 1/1.8" with high mp, which will most likely increase the imager noise.

Not if they have any common sense at all. The super-ccd is Fuji's claim to fame. That plus the live histogram (and, (very meekly), the natural/flash mode) are why I'm willing to wait for Fuji to incorporate "true" image stabilization instead of buying another brand of bridge camera now.

Thanks,

Skylark