Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:08 AM   #1

Recently bought a Fuji S5700 7 mp 10x Zoom (S700 in the US) to replace my S3500 (S3100) which did a good job on outdoor photos but was rather limited.
Has anyone read a 'real' review of the new S5700? I think it's a great little zoom for the low price. Am amazed at how compact it is for an "SLR" style cam and the fast startup with the non extending zoom (like the S5200) but in a smaller package. The hand grip is great and the controls are really easy to use. This camera's LCD and EVF are both excellent with 230,000 pixels and 60fps refresh rate. Even tho it doesn't have 'proper' Image stabilisation (just a high ISO 'antishake which works OK),it gives great zoom shots over a wide range of lighting conditions. A great feature is the natural low light/flash mode which captures 2 quick pics without and with flash. The flash range is over 20 feet. An extra bonus is the extremely quiet optical zoom and continuous focussing which allows full 10x opt zoom in the 640x480 @ 30fps movie mode. For a relative beginner like me it's great learning camera as it has the usual P.A.S.M. modes, bracketing, burst mode and histogram display etc. The loss of the RAW mode may be lamented by fans of the S5200 but for most basic photographers, the new features offset this. Nice to have the choice of xD and SD cards too.
The high sensitivity ISO 1600 mode is a little noisy (only a 1/2.5" CCD)and there is some purple fringing in high contrast shooting but the pics look great for everyday shots in a wide variety of situations.
Love to hear from anyone out there who has one of these little gems
Rob McCarthy
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:02 PM   #2

Thanks for the quick review Rob. Does the S5700 have non-extending lens like the S5200?
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:48 PM   #3

Yes, the S5700 lens is non-extending like the S5200, hence the quick start up. The lens barrel is not as long as the 5200 but still gives a full 10x zoom. It's also has a 46mm thread which I've put a UV neutral filter on to protect the lens. This means I dont have to keep putting the lens cap on and off. (I carry the camera in a padded shoulder bag)

Rob
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:15 AM   #4

Rob-

The Fuji S-700/S-5700 sounds like an upgraded S-5200. That is actually very nice as it is a conveniently small ultra zoom that does well with outdoor shots, flash shots, and ISO setting up to ISO 800.

I will be most interested to see more photo samples and a professional review. Thanks a lot for your post.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote