Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:18 AM   #1

Default S602z vs. S5000

I just got my S602z and I love it, and then I get online and read about the S5000.... I can't afford the S7000, but the S5000 is the same price as the S602z... Am I missing something? The S5000 seems to be the better camera to me - then again, I am a newbie... Why should I hold on to my S602z instead of returning it and purchasing a S5000 (other than that I have a nice case and tons of SM and CF cards...)
MikeKBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2003, 3:27 AM   #2

actually the 7000 is more successor to the 602 than the 5000, with the 7000 & 602 sharing the same body, lens, and general controls. the 5000 is more a new item in fuji's lineup to tackle the "long-zoom" market previously dominated by the olympus 7xx series.. until now, what with toshiba, fuji, and canon soon among others to be releasing their own 10x zoom cameras.

the 5000, despite looking rather slr-like and having some slr-like features and controls, still are not as extensive as the 602's, lacking the flash hotshoe and custom white balance, and as robust a continuous/burst mode than the 602 to name a few that i can remember. however, the 5000 is smaller, has an AF assist lamp, and of course, the new sensor and 10x zoom.

if you already have the 602, certainly i see no reason to change cameras. both cameras have their own strengths above each other, although i would consider it like comparing a bmw 5 series to the 7 series, with the 602 version being the 7 series. if it is just zoom you wanted, you can of course consider adding a teleconverter lens to it, such as the oly tcon17, a quality lens which will provide an extra zoom of 1.7x, raising the max zoom of 210mm to 357mm (in 35mm terms... a 10.2 zoom).

anyway having invested your money already in a camera of a higher category, along with the memory/storage with it, unless you can upgrade to the 7000 or really feel that you need the 10x zoom/AF assist lamp, i would feel no remorse at all about missing the s5000. hope this helps.

somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:35 AM   #3

I was also wondering what the differences are. Looks like I will upgrade from the S602Z to the S7000. Thanks for posting the summary of differences between the s602z and s5000.
turboquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:03 PM   #4

you're most welcome for any help my post might have given.

do keep in mind though that there are also differences, both improvements and some not, between the 602 and 7000. as i myself don't really plan to upgrade this round (though the minolta A1 is very tempting), i certainly don't claim to know all the +/-'s of between the two, but two of the main "disappointments" between the 602 & 7000 that really stuck in my mind is that the 7000 (also) has a less robust continuous/burst mode, and the flash hotshoe remains a basic flash hotshoe with no TTL capability.

the first is understandable, as with the true 6MP (as far as i believe) that the 7000 has, it takes more time to write & space on the buffer for each shot. however, it is still disappointing nevertheless, as one of the biggest strengths of the 602 was its superior focusing & burst capabilities, at least in the pro/consumer digicam market, making it ideal for sports/fast moving subjects.

second is no regression but neither is it a progression. along with not having an AF assist lamp, the unchanged basic hotshoe remain disappointments to me.

anyway these are just the two minor -'s that stand out to me, but certainly there are +'s as well, and all something to think about at any rate =)

Somy
Old Aug 9, 2003, 6:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by somynex
however, it is still disappointing nevertheless, as one of the biggest strengths of the 602 was its superior focusing & burst capabilities, at least in the pro/consumer digicam market, making it ideal for sports/fast moving subjects.
That's something I really like about it. It came in especially useful on a recent trip to Seaworld, where at the dolphin shows I came away with 5 pictures of the creatures at various stages on each their leaps, whereas everyone else just had the splash as they re-ented the water at the end. If they were lucky
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:25 PM   #6

We'll probably have to wait until they've used up their current stock of embedded processor and cache memory chips - so they can use faster silicon in the next model. The trouble is we keep wanting more res. and RAW, so it must be a job keeping up. We'll need a 1Ghz Pentium in there soon!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:23 PM   #7

Default I'll buy your S602 if you want to upgrade

I'll buy your S602. Mine was stolen, cash is tight.

You can help me out and get a new camera at the same time !!!
jimcoffey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 8:38 AM   #8

the RAW is what currently intrigues me most =) (btw, i forgot to mention, it seems that we can shoot 5fps raw? or was i mistaken...)

i must say i enjoy working with the raw files from my 5050 a lot, and miss having it in my 602, and also it'd be very interesting to see how they reconcile the 45 degree tilted ccd into a raw file, do we get a 6MP file? or a 12MP file? if any of you have followed the discussions at dpreview's forum, the members have come to the rationalization that it has to be a 12MP file, but then there would be processing on the image and it'd no longer be a "pure" RAW file...

but that's just a minor concern. the f700's raw seem to be more robust than the new s5000's, but at the moment only offer straight conversions to TIFF files, and none of the flexiblity that programs such as adobe camera raw & sharpraw offer (partly i suspect because these cameras were released after the software). but how these raw files compare to the rest out there now is probably one of the more interesting questions about the new line of fujis. =)
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:40 AM   #9

The Buzz over the other side is that Fuji's RAW reader is very limited. Adobe do it better. It's $98 at the mo, but will be included in PS8 I believe.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:56 AM   #10

ya, i'm also reading the forum there too. olympus has done the same thing, providing only a very basic raw converter (does essentially what you can do in-camera), but adobe raw being released after, has taken into account the 5050 format along with many others.

the trouble with raw is that they are all proprietary formats by definition, and even the manufacturers have trouble keeping them standard within their own product lines!

so here's hoping that fuji will provide the info to adobe and they will be able to incorporate fuji's new sccd raws into their next version =)

somy