Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 25, 2003, 8:11 PM   #11

I'll be the one 'fixing' it when it comes back in my hands.

The thing I wish Fuji could have done better is support xD or some other media type that wasn't at the end of its life. I guess a year and a half ago, SM was still pretty popular. Now, the only camera at the camera shop across the way is the 601. (It amazes me that big, bulky CF is still in use, but I digress...)

Still, I love that little camera. But if its gone, its gone. I've got my Nikon FM3a and the SO will be getting the Nikon 3100. We're going to be a Nikon family here, I think. :shock:

But no one does industrial design quite as well as Fuji. Their cams are still the best looking on the market.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:11 AM   #12

Lauren: I'm not sure if I understood right but your F601 has an broken (or maybe loose) electric cable and you are not going to get it fixed by the repair shop? Did you ask the estimated price for the repair? And dont forget the guarantee you'll have after repaired it in authorized repair shop. I'm sure fixing it is worth it as either of the cameras you mentioned cant compete with F601 in almost any terms.

SmartMedia is one of the most widely spreaded and proven media accross the world and there will be SM-cards available for many many years despite the newer medias coming to the market. On the other hand the SM-card you already have should last for a lifetime if you handle it right.
bassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:35 AM   #13

I wish I had your confidence, bassino.

But the facts of the case are this:

1) F601 definitely broken. Rattling heard from inside was not there until it died. Putting the batteries in causes it to overheat. The camera is completely unresponsive.

2) Repair costs are half the price of a brand new F601 (in Japanese prices). 22000 yen to repair, 39800 to buy new.

3) Repair warranty only covers repaired part for 3 months.

4) No new camera that I am aware of supports SmartMedia. The only current cameras that support SM are the F601 and the S602. The S5000 does not.

Considering that the warranty is pretty poor, I will not be springing for the repair. I might have considered buying a new 601 to get the full warranty, but the SO is fed up with it and since I'm not the primary user of the camera that's the final say.

It will hurt quite a bit binning the SmartMedia cards (4 x 128MB, 2 x 64MB, 1 x 16MB), but we've got a USB reader so they may end up being portable external storage. And it looks like we can probably replace the SM cards with a couple large CF cards and be right back in business.

I'd love it if Fuji came out with an F701 with an updated menu, smaller form factor, and better battery life. I'd be all over that, despite the cries from the SO.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 6:43 AM   #14

Your F601 seems to be positively broken and I feel sorry for that. So what are you going to do with the broken one? Someone might be interested to buy it for spareparts or something.

In your case I understand your worry about the SM-cards as you have so many of those. My point of view where that despite the lack of support with new cameras the SmartMedia is still very usable and steady format and there will be cards available on the market for long time. Hopefully you can sell them or maybe change them and get some new media cards for them.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 7:08 AM   #15

I'll be attempting to fix it myself and if it works out okay I will be shipping it off to a happy life in Germany with some relatives. OTOH,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago
If it dies, it dies.
Really the most frustrating thing about all this camera/media cards stuff is that it costed SO MUCH MORE when I bought it a year ago than it does now.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 3:01 PM   #16

Default F601

My Fuji also died a few weeks ago...
Everything kept working except for the CCD.... the pictures I made were black... At first I thought the display wasn't working, but in play modus it seemed fine.
When pushing hard on the back of the camera-body, the CCD jumped on.... but after a few pictures even that trick failed.
It's a great camera, superfast and nice pictures... long lasting battery and nice movie mode... but it can't handle the extensive proffesional use I got it for. I'm thinking on buying a second one S5000-like camera... yes another Fuji....
My F601 is in (warranty)repair at Fuji Netherlands for 2 weeks now. I also think Fuji Europe has a better service-policy, because they are responding my e-mails very quick and friendly.
I should be getting the camera back next week....
So I'll keep you guys informed about the result....
It costed about 400 Euro's, so it was well worth the price!!!
bertjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:48 PM   #17

Yes, I also found that Fuji Netherlands to be very fast, kind and helpfull. And no, I will not tell the price I payed for this camera new in a shop, it might explode some owners instead of the camera ;-)

So watch your local electronic warehouse adds when the S602 is about to exit the market. (it may even go below cheapest US internet shop price).
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 10:27 AM   #18

Lauren: How are things going with your F601? Have you been able to fix the camera?
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:36 AM   #19

Unfortunately, no. I took the thing apart (and took pics of the surgery for uploading at a later date), but there doesn't seem to be anything blatantly burnt out or detached.

I did get a good idea what's in the thing, but nothing much more than that. The F601 has gone to the big repair shop in the sky...

What would a broken 601 go for on EBay? Saleable?
Old Sep 14, 2003, 2:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
Unfortunately, no. I took the thing apart (and took pics of the surgery for uploading at a later date), but there doesn't seem to be anything blatantly burnt out or detached.

I did get a good idea what's in the thing, but nothing much more than that. The F601 has gone to the big repair shop in the sky...

What would a broken 601 go for on EBay? Saleable?
I'm sorry to hear that your attemps to fix it failed In spite of all it would be nice to see the photos you took of the operation. Please inform us when you are going to upload them.

I'm sure someone would gladly buy it for spareparts but I really dont know what would be the best way to sell it.