Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 4, 2003, 8:35 PM   #1

Default My Fuji just up and died

Well, after a year of normal use, my Fuji F601 has given up the ghost.

I was out with the SO over in Odaiba taking a gander at the North Korean military boat that the Japanese sank a while back and the camera just froze.

The LCD just froze in mid-picture and the whole thing stopped working. So now the lens barrel is in the open position and nothing works either with the battery or the AC plug. Buttons are unresponsive. Inserting the battery or leaving the AC in for an extended length of time causes the camera to heat up significantly, almost to the point of not being able to touch it.

It's been a year and the Fuji warranty is up, but I'm surprised the thing died like this. No mishandling, no out of the norm miscare, just plain old P/S usage. I'll be taking this back to the store where I bought it for repair, but I'm a little miffed at Fuji in the meantime. Some reviews on Amazon.com regarding this little marvel are less than stellar. It seems that some F601 units were lemons out of the box. This one lasted a year, but I didn't buy it to be a disposable camera. I surely haven't gotten $600 worth of usage out of it yet.

So Fuji, if you're reading, please realize this is not the first problem I've had with this device. I contacted you before regarding the lens retraction system and got no response. Now I have a dead F601 and may have to pay for repairs. With normal usage, I do not expect that the machinery to wear out after one year. Style and SCCDs are not everything. Workmanship and quality need to be part of your plan, and if my experience and the experience of other F601 owners are any indication, this camera lacked in both areas.

I like the F601. I like the size, controls, and the capabilities. But I do not like having it break when there wasn't any mishandling of the device.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:37 AM   #2

Have you tried all powersources (ie ac adapter and batteries) for several minutes? This may reset it.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 1:42 AM   #3

Yes. It's dead. Actually, it's consuming power because the internals are getting hot, but it's not able to do anything with it.

There appears to be a rattle now which I didn't hear before. I wonder if something broke off internally (likely).
Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:32 AM   #4

Default I'm not alone

I just talked with a friend who owned an F601 as well and he had the same problems almost immediately with his unit.

Anger rising...
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:48 AM   #5

You will find some dismantled photos of 1 or 2 cams on the web, not sure about yours, but you'll get the idea. When you see how they are put together, it's a wonder they do last, there are modules everywhere linked with ribbon cable. Salt water atmosphere must be hell for digicams!

Until the construction becomes more electronically integrated things won't change. This is unlikely as the architecture - memory processor EVF lcd features etc, keeps changing. Mobile phones will probably get there before digicams and pcs are already a lot more integrated now that specs have becom more stable.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:37 AM   #6

vox,

I'm about (holding up thumb and forefinger) this close to dismantling this thing to see if I can't fix it myself. The only things stopping me are

1) I don't want to end up with a much larger repair bill and

2) I don't have a screwdriver to fit the tiny screws

It's going to the repair shop on either Thursday or next Tuesday, so that's the current status.

Meanwhile, my Nikon FM3a is chugging along like a champion, breaking the bank with all those slide film processing fees.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 4:09 PM   #7

Default Sympathy for FUji cam failure

Hi , I'm new to this forum but found your posting whilst looking for support for my Fuji M603 zoom.
Great camera& useful video but lost the capability to charge batteries after less than 6months . As it has only been available in UK since Dec 2002 when I bought it and I am now in USA there's been no way to get it even looked at! FUji US not at all helpful - even denied existence of this model!
Been using it limited by length of power cable! Now the menu button refuses to function and I am stuffed being unable to switch from xD card to Microdrive to even download yesterdays shots.
Like you I wish I could take it apart myself!
:roll:

HAve you found any other solution?
I found a recall for a bad batch of another fuji digital camer posted last year so I guess, as with all technology, its gonna break sometime -but so far ive been finding ways around the problems.
DollarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 5:29 PM   #8

Dollarblues, sorry to hear you had such bad luck with Fuji US. Here in Europe the Fuji service is good and very kind.

Lauren, this might not help at all, but have you also tried a different memory card??? Once my ol' Canon Ixus (ok yes a total different brand with different memory card) played dead, would only start with extended push on power button and when it did it exited immeditly after showing in a blitz a number on a black screen. (never had seen this camera so fast with lens retraction ;-). I was about to open it, but by chance I tried a different card and everything turned out to be ok, exept for a card. (couldn't even format that card with either camera or computer and CF reader/writer.)

Recently I have also bought a F601. Even after reading the stories of this model dying young I found it a real bargain of quality and price. I hope you manage to revive your camera.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:04 PM   #9

The camera seems to have a broken wire inside, so it is actually broken. It's weird how it died, though. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary and I was taking multiple shots in succession (I find that the first shot taken with the 601 is a little blurry so I follow it up with a second shot right away which always seems more steady), then *poof* it died. Screen was frozen and the camera didn't respond to anything.

Even leaving the batteries in caused the thing to overheat. That's what my current theory as to this failure comes from. I am guessing that the camera was overheating from the heat and high usage that day and it just burned through a contact. There is a rattle inside the camera which wasn't there before, so I am guessing it is a wire.

I'll be getting the camera back from the repair shop today without having any repairs performed. Hopefully I can solder the wire back to the circuit board without much hassle. If it works, I'll be sending the camera off to a relative.

Meanwhile, for my upcoming trip to Hokkaido I am thinking about picking up a Nikon CP 3100. The choice was between the Fuji F401 and the Nikon 3100, but my experience with the 601 has got me a bit spooked. Also, the 3100 has a nice handgrip which really helps keep camera shake to a minimum.

The 601 is a great camera in just about every respect. You will enjoy it immensely, I'm sure. And at the price you got it at, you can be assured you got a great deal.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:56 PM   #10

I read somewere that most modern compact cameras have electronic parts 'glued' to plastic film with copperlines printed on it. Atleast I'm positive sure that you will hardly find any wires inside, but plastic strokes with copper. From your story and specialy the rattle sound it looks like some electronic part is overheated and blown. I hope for you that the relative who will actually examine this camera will counterspeak my 'tele-diagnosis'.

Meanwhile I'm indeed very glad I bought this camera and cannot wait to get it back (I'm literly counting the days of). The performance of shutter response and start up time is even for digital cameras released today outstanding, combine that with compactness, good picture quality and sturdy casing and it seems that Fuji had made a long lasting winner... if it wasn't for the "live fast die young flaws".
When designing this camera, maybe the Fuji overlooked the fact that with low battery consumption and fast response, the user tends more to keep the camera on and shoot multiples. This digital camera is certainly beyond the old Daguerrotype feeling.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote