Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 4, 2003, 9:55 PM   #1

Default S602 Pop-up Flash

I hope a S602 user can answer this question. On one of the review sites (not Steves) it was stated that if you us lens attachments, you can not use the built in pop-up flash. I can understand that for wide angle and tele-converter lens, but if you are just using the lens tube and a 55mm filter, can you still use the pop-up flash. I am looking at the S602 (and possibly the S7000) and was wondering about the flash issue, if there is one. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Bill100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2003, 9:57 PM   #2
djb

yes. i haven't used flash much but, i have taken some pics using the flash and i have the adapter tube with a filter on it and they seemed to be okay.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:02 PM   #3

Default Thansk Dennis, another qeustion

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me, do you get any flash shadow from the tube?

Bill
Bill100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:31 PM   #4
djb

Bill, i couldn't tell ya. i only used flash just playing around to test it out and never really looked that closely. the manual only states that the flash cannot be used if the wide angle and teleconverter lenses are used. all other cases you should be okay. i'm sure there are others that have used flash on this forum that can tell you more.

dennis
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:20 AM   #5

I didn't think the issue was shadowing. The 602 has an IR window just above the lens. I know this has a secondary focus function, which gets turned off when you select the adaptor on option. Most users say this seems to make very little difference to the AF functions. The problem is the window gets obscured by large adaptor lenses and shades.

The only other possibility is behind the window might be the flash exposure sensor. My 602's not with me so I can't confirm that. You could always put some black tape over the window and see what goes wrong.

The internal flash is so puny, that if it was firing on full power it would probably be OK anyway! Apart from the issues of light coverage, the camera knows its own flash characteristics and I suspect tracks the zoom settings, so if you were set for wide angle with a tele adaptor, you might not get enough light in the narrower field at the depth you want. Could be compensated for in the flash power setting or manual exposure though.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:09 PM   #6
djb

i believe the sensor for the flash is actually on the flash unit either just below or to the side. i forget which. as for the autofocus, i use the adapter always and have it as a yes in the menu. so, i only focus thru the lens. i haven't noticed any appreciable difference in focus speed.

dennis