Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:57 PM   #1

Hi! I just purchased the Fuji S700 and have a concern. The LCD screen seems to have "noise" in it. The pictures come out fine but should the LCD screen look fuzzy? I was wondering if this is normal and maybe my lighting is what causing this.

I wanted to take it back and get another one but at the moment the store doesn't have another. My description of the problem went over the salespersons head. I asked if they could look at a display model and see if this was normal They did mention a restocking fee

Hubby bought me this so I didn't get to see a display model. Too me the noise in the display looks like it is moving. I hope I described it right. Also the video looks this way too when you record. But the pics you take look fine.

Is this a problem or normal? Thanks for any help!

Indy

India is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:29 PM   #2

Indy-

In a low light environment, it is normal for the LCD on any camerato show some graininess. The LCD image is created with many little dot of light called pixels. The key question is: how does the LCD look in a shady area or when outside?

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:06 PM   #3

Maybe go to another store that has a S700 to compare. In any event, you should be able to "exchange" your S700 for another one when new stock comes in without a restocking fee. The restocking fee should only be charged if you return the S700 for a refund.

If not satisfied with the current S700, I would returnit immediately and wait for new stock to come in. But get the "not later than date" in writing on the receipt for your returned S700. If the store cannot furnish a new replacement by that date, you should be able to get a refund without a restocking fee.

I would not buy anything from that store again regardless.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:16 AM   #4

I hate to say it but i think it is lack of skill, rather than a technical problem causing this 'grainyness'. All photos in low light will appear like this, it's not a manufacturing fault. I have just bought a brand new S5700 and the same thing happens, especially in low light. It's not the technology, it's us to blame. Use the flash, decrease the ISO to an acceptable level, reduce shutter speeds in lower light, or use the new low light function supplied. Good luck returning the camera, most retailers are pretty strit with their returns policy, especially if there is not a legitimate fault with the camera.
jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:18 AM   #5

I hate to say it but i think it is lack of skill, rather than a technical problem causing this 'grainyness'. All photos in low light will appear like this, it's not a manufacturing fault. I have just bought a brand new S5700 and the same thing happens, especially in low light. It's not the technology, it's us to blame. Use the flash, decrease the ISO to an acceptable level, reduce shutter speeds in lower light, or use the new low light function supplied. Good luck returning the camera, most retailers are pretty strit with their returns policy, especially if there is not a legitimate fault with the camera.
jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:29 AM   #6

Yes - unfortunately low light always produces graininess due to the camera lowering the bit rate to cope. The only fault I have found so far with the S5700 is the self timer light (IR Illuminator) staying on after using the self timer (although this doesn't always happen)...
Dogsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:34 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info but it is not the pictures that are grainy. They came out great! My problem is the actual LCD screen. That is what looks grainy. I just want to make sure it is just what it is suppose to look like and not a problem with the LCD. I would describe it as noise. The pixels look like they are moving.

My other fuji camera had a small LCD screen and you can't really notice anything. I'm happy with the pics so far though. Anyone with this camera . If you look at the LCD screen in lower light is it grainy? One person told me on another site theirs looked clear in all light.

Thanks again for the help

Indy

India is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:59 PM   #8

Indy-

After speaking with the Fuji Sevice Center I learned so interesting information:

(1) As you reported, the performance of the LCD screen does not have any effect on the finished photo.

(2) Fuji does buy their LCD screens from multiple suppliers. So it truth, the do vary a bit from camera to camera. If the camera is nearly new, return it for exchange.

(3) The LCD screen used on the S-700/S-5700 cameras has a rather high pixel density-230K, so it should look pretty good.

(4) You can take it/send it to a Fuji Service Center, but they will most probably tell you something like "...when tested, the LCD screen shows that it waswithin operational specifications...", so take that as a hint that it might be a much faster solution to take it back to the retailer where you purchased it, and get an exchange.

All in all I have found my Fuji S-700 to be an excellent camera. I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem. That is why I spent a bit of extra time (2 hours to work my way through the system until I got a manager that was willing to talk. It is an advantage to be a little old senior citizen of 72)to attempt to get some real answers for you.

Good Luck and enjoy a great wekend!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:55 AM   #9

S700 owners, can you please confirm the OP's concern is "normal operation? I just bought mine today and it has the exact same problem. The lcd is like a snowy tv while in record mode. As the camera focuses with a half-press of the shutter release, it shows the shot clearly for an instant, as clear as when in playback mode. But then when it goes back to the live preview (before fully pressing the button) it's grainy/snowy again.

What's more, I just tried video mode and uploaded it to my comp. The video looks just like the lcd problem! What's going on here? Photos themselves are fine but I do seem to be getting a bit more noise than other peoples shots. That could be me though.

This is also the last one the store had in stock. They will have more in 2 days so I'd like to know whether this is an actual problem or not so I can swap it.

I'd like to say that although I'm no expert photographer, this is my 4th digicam and I have never seen an lcd look as noisy as this one in the past 6 years.

Dave.
janger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:22 AM   #10

My LCD looks excellent. Ive only used the camera to take photos and not movies. How does your viewfinder appear? Is it different than the LCD? I dont think you should be having this problem. I recomend taking it back and exchanging it. In the meantime take lots of pictures and get the feel of the camera.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote