Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:09 AM   #11

CoolD.

Well, let see if we can isolate the problemtogether, shall we. In your #1 photo the LCD screen, the EVF, and the photo taken look like the photo that you posted. It is what you, CoolD, refer to as the "white-out" Is that correct, CoolD?

Well, I sincerely believe that the problem still remains with your metering selection. Why you might ask, why is that? The means (the type of exposure scan)by which your camera pulled up the image for the LCD screen, the EVF, and the photo was thruogh that exposure scan.That is how your S-5700/S-700 acquires the image for the LCD screen, the EVF, and the photo. Take our investigation one step further, won't you please. When you then, for picture #2,pointed yor camera toward the black pavement, and the white line, the image on the LCD screen, the EVF, and the photo gave up that whole"white-out" look and returned to normal didn't it. That was becauseyour camerawas pointed at the tarmac and didn't pick up reflections from the shinny car.

Now let's flip the coin. If you use the checklist that I supplied to you in my first reply (please see below did that fix the problem?

"CoolD, your white-out problem might be due to several things:

(1) The Mode Selector is Automatic, rather than the much preferred P for Programed Auto. Always use "P" for every photo till we get this sorted out, please.

(2) The metering mode should remain in "Multi,""spot" is to only be used for portraits or macro shots.

(3) The ISO setting (selected with the "f" button) should be in "Auto(400) when taking photos outside.

(4) The WB ( white balance) should be set to "Auto"

Then, after applying the above listed four steps,was your camera returned to a normal operation?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:45 PM   #12

have not had my cam in Auto mode ll week. Ever since you and Steve talked about using P mode thats where i put my camera and left it.(with the exception just to look threw evf/lcd to see if the whiteout changed or remained the same.

have the ISO set to auto 400 for daytime as you suggested ([email protected] late evening as you suggested)

WB is set at Auto

Metering Mode (Photometry) was at spot i believ cause i had no idea what the difference in the three settings,but do now,lol,oh except for Average.

as far as did my cam go back to normal operation,not sure i understand the question. If your asking did the white out change,then the answer is no,still whiteout.

Will try the multi in metering tomorrow if i can get ousdie tomorrow,lots painting left to do tomorrow so might not see the outside tomorrow heh.

Well was giong to post a photo i took late this evening with all the wrong setting,lol,but i still like the photo,but tonight for some odd reason i,m not able to get this photo to upload on to forum.

will try tomorrow if i get a chance.

CoolD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:18 PM   #13

CoolD-

I sincerely hope that the "white-out" goes away for you. I will be interested to see the next photo that you post.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:09 PM   #14

mtclimber-

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Sorry for the multiple posts.I hada problem with my browser at the time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The purpose of my post about the s5700/s700 was not to slam the camerabut to slam the review system. Don't get me wrong! I use the reviews, mostly Steves, to help me evaluate cameras. I also think that Fuji cameras are top notch as for image quality and high ISO usability. I see some D-SLRs that don't handle ISO 800 as well as some Fujis (s6500fd,f31fd,f30 for example).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It just seems to take a very long time for the general puplic (consumers) to get an expert opinion and teston a product which is already on the market that maybe a fantastic buy orawaist of money. Not everyone has money to burn and just go out and buy a product on a whim, and if it doesn't satisfy them, go and buysomething else. If we have to rely on the manufacturer's own descriptions,we'll never be satified, as theywould like us to believe thier products are perfect.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Yes, the S5700 takes sharp, and nicely saturated images. Itis howevermissingsome of the features which I was hoping for in a new model. Namely RAW or TIFF, face detection, Super CCD and faster shooting times. So my problem was more about how this was supposed to be a big upgrade from the 5600 model, when in fack Fuji took away major features and added others. Kind of even-up I guess.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The Image grain visible in the images is, as you say, acceptable and can easily be fixed in Neat Image if needed, but the purple fringing is a bigger problem for me than anything else, as I was hoping to use the camera for fine macro work. The Helicon filter tool did a nice job of removing it, though now there is even more time at the post processing level.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I may still concider buying this camera if I could see other reviews, but Ahhhhhhhhh! There aren't any. Or at least, not expert ones. Which leads me to another problem. Images posted on the internet that are supposed to represent the image quality of a camera should ALWAYS be full (original) size and includesome info. How am I supposed to see how nice the images are when they are scaled down for Web use and have no indication as to ISO, F-Stop and so on? And bye the way, any camera on the planet can make a little tiny photo like the one you showed me. Heck, I getnice still images from my mini-dv video camera, and it even has 24xzoom and macro right up to the lens, all for just $250.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Panasonic nv-gs17 mini-DVat full auto. Capturedfrom a cheap dv tape with a tv card and virtual dub. It's not a really great image but I think it proves my point.It's a little soft butsmall prints from this would look just fine.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If I buy a camera that has 6 megapixel resolution, then I want every pixel to be usable. After all, they're not cheap. And if it has high ISO, I want that to be usable as well. Why bother if it is not. Manufacturers advertise that thier cameras have ISO 1600 for example but the images those cameras take at the high ISOs are garbage. It's like buying a car for $200,000 with a speedometer showing it can go over 200 mph but the engine has a factory limited speed of 140.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Currently, the only digicams (non-SLR)I can findthat come close to being all I want in a camera, are Canonsand Fujis. Yes they have noise at high ISO but what kind of noise? Unlike panasonics, fuji (as well as canon) noise is managable, mostly because it's not alot of blotchy color noise.

There are some other models thathave impressive features, but always, it's the image quality that is missing. I believe a camera'smost important aspect should be it's abitiliy to take wonderfull pictures. Everything else is hype.

Now to answer your question. No. I don't own an s5700 (yet). If I had, then I would not have been looking for reviews. I really want to like this camera. Not only for it's price tag, but also for it's features (zoom, macro and high ISO). I just can't find NORMAL sample images that can show me what I will get with it. Either the samples are altered in some way or the subject s aren't something I will ever shoot. Which is why I like Steves samples. They're usually consistant and of normal every day subjects. Although I really wish he would choose a better macro subject or includea macro witha bit more texture. I'm still waiting for his review of this camera.

I currently own a simple point and shoot KodakDX4330 which is just fine for punchy little family photos. I've repaired this camera myself about five times now and it's still kicking aftertaking thousands of photos.It takes perfect exposures even with flash every time, and if it weren't for the fact that it oversaturates the colors and then saves the images in highly compressed jpeg format, it would would be a great machine.

I have much photographic experiencewith SLRs includingthe Pentax K1000 andCanon AE-1. I used to develope and print all my own images,using black & white, color negative and chrome 35mm format. I'm an experienced zone systemphotographer and am what they used to call a grain sniffer :sad:in the darkroom. I've used the Canon 350D and Canon A630. Nice but I'm really unimpressed. The A630 takes nice photos but I didn't care for the interface, metering performance and manual focus. I also don'twant to have a ton of expensive lenses and sensor cleaning that you get with a D-SLR. Needless to say, I know what I want in a camera. Unfortunately, unless I go back to using film, I'm stuck with the rather limited choices on the digital market at this time.

I would like to have the RAW format but would give it up for quality JPGs. The s5700 bye the way ,seems to take quality jpg images. If you zoom in to even 400%, you don't see the ugly jpg spearing, just pixels. This is similar to many Canon images at low ISOs.

So you see, I'm not against buying the S5700/S700, I just need more evidence that it's the right camera for me. I can go to the local store and play with it but there is not enough time or proper set up to test a camera for it's many features and image quality. Thus the need for more reviews.

One thing I would like to do with my next camera is copy all our family photo negatives and slide films into digital format. I could get a film scanner but that would be overkill and expensive, and I think a flatbed scanner has less quality and dynamic range than a good digital camera has. I don't need a super high res 70 megabyte image, just a decent copy. If I wanted the very best quality, I could have them scanned professionally but that would cost a bundle.

Is there anyone out there with an S5700/S700 who can show me that this camera can do a decent job of copying a 35mm slide?

Your turn !

Abner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:22 PM   #15

Hi new here just got my new S5700 a few days ago

here are a few samples (just around the house still waiting on my XD memory card which I ordered on amazon.co.uk marketplace :evil

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSCF0315.jpg
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSCF0080.jpg
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSCF0317.jpg
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSCF0280.jpg
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSCF0154.jpg
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSCF0019.jpg

how long is the normal AA battery life while using the camera?

enjoy

dOc
MaD dOctoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:03 PM   #16

well the aa batteries that came with my camera i got a week out of them.

remember though,i barely put the camera down during that week,lol,played with it pretty steady.

the rechargables that i bought,1 set of energizers,and 1 set of nextec)radioshack) i get a week sometimes 2 ll depending how much i,m using the camera,which in my case is every evening when i go out.
CoolD is offline   Reply With Quote