Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:05 PM   #1

I too have been waiting a long time for the reviews to come out for the new Finepix S5700 / S700 and have been very disappointed with the time it has taken so far to get even a small hint of interest from the major reviewers on a camera that is already being sold to many people expecting another great Fuji product. Unfortunately, this camera is not one of them. In every sample image I've seen from this camera, there is a great deal of graininess at all ISO settings, as well as some of the worst purple fringing of any camera on the market today. This camera is supposed to be an upgrade to the S5600 but it's also a downgrade as well. Namely, no RAW, no SuperCCD and still no real anti shake system (O.I.S).

After extensive searching, I found the following links to foriegn and domestic web sites with sample images from this camera. Take a look and judge for yourselves.

First up is asite (maybe japan) that has many samples near the middle of the page.

http://detail.zol.com.cn/99/98957/pic.shtml

Second is a face to face comparison where you can dial up any of the listed cameras, for which the S5700 is one of them.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=1&ma1=24&mo1=222&p1=1218& amp;ma2=24&mo2=294&p2=1837&ph=21

The next link is from Sweden (I can translate this one). In the menu to the left, click on "digitalkameror". Then scroll down and click on the "Fuji Finepix S5700". Now just under the image of the camera itself are four tabs. Click on the tab marked "Testbilder" to see the test images.

http://www.cyberphoto.se/

And then there is this one, which many here may already have seen.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=s5700

And finally, this one

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212589;pid;3495;pt;1

Enjoy!
Abner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:28 PM   #2

Abner-

I must ask if you do indeed own a Fuji S-5700/S-700 camera?

I am however, an actual S-700 owner. I have not found noise to be a problem in any image, as you assert! Yes, you will see some very controlable noise at ISO 800 and upwards. But that is to be expected. The S-5700/S-700 camera does NOT use the Fuji high ISO capable processor chip, that is used on the Fuji S-6000, or the F-20, F-30, and F-40 cameras.

I would like to see YOU post some S-5700/S-700 photos that do show noisein every image. I amattaching my S-700 image to this post for your reference. I am sorry to say it Abner, but your four exactly duplicate posts don't make me feel that perhaps you are just analyzing something you heard or might have read quickly.

Please post your sample photos, won't you? Thanks!

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:32 AM   #3

My Fuji S5700 is now5 weeks old and going great - some of my personal thoughts re reviews and opinions. Firstly a camera has to be seen in the light of it's target audience, features, image quality and PRICE. I can see some reviewers making a big deal about the "awful" purple fringing or maybe "terrible" noise at high ISOs, or still not having lens or CCD shift stabilisation technology etc etc. No camera is perfect and I can see evidence of some purple fringing and noise depending on the scene. It is worse than my old Fuji S3500- BUT, looking at the overall performance, the S5700 is so versatile, easy to use and a great learning ( a step above pointand shoot)camera. I can take good looking shots with the S5700 I wouldn't have even considered with the older camera. eg super macro, hand held 10x zoom, low light without flash hand held etc. If I look at the pics on the monitor at 'normal' size (eg 25%) or print them up to a reasonable size, they look great! Imay see a bit of fringing, especially if I'm LOOKING FOR IT. It's not enough to be a problem for me but if I was to become focussed (no pun intended) on just one aspect of the pic it would spoil it for me and I'd not enjoy all the benifits in most every other area of a budget priced but very versatile camera. If I zoom right intoa corner of the image - say leaves against a bright back ground I can seesome purple haze but I realize I'm looking at it from an unrealistic perspective. I know things like this really bother some folks but not me. If I want a near perfect still shot, I'll borrow my son's Canon DSLR!! Try taking a nice movie (which you can't with an SLR) or a super macro or long zoom shot with the Canon without spending a fortune on extra lenses.! Rob
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:19 PM   #4

Rob-

This is sort of along the lines of "what if." However, it is fun to indulge in a bit of speculation. Fuji, IMO, has sort of run the full gamut on the F-series cameras with the F-10, F-11, F-20, F-30, F-31fd, and F-40fd. Yes, IS could still be added to the F series, and that might give the F-series, a whole new life. However, the chance of Fuji popping out with a F-50 model and IS is somewhat reduced.

So consider this: perhaps the Fuji S-5700/S-700 is the first building block in a new whole new series of cameras, in the very same manner that the F-10 started the Fseries dynasty. What do you think?

July has almost always been the month of choice for Fuji to announce new models. Could July 2007 be the month for some real surprises. Who knows. I do not know if it is true or not but I read in the Fuji Folder at www.dpreview.com, that the reason that Fuji does not offer IS dates back to a lawsuit that the lost with Canon over the rights to IS technology. The court's rulling went in favor of Canon. Fuji was prevented by the court's decision for introducing IS technology for three years. So at some point in time, Fuji probably will introduce IS to their line of cameras.

It is something to consider.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5

I have an interesting question concerning these new fujifilm s700 cameras.

ok,when i,m outside and see something i feel the urg to snap off a shot of,i turn the cam on,put it up to use either evf or lcd for framing, and doesn't matter which mode i select (excluding certain modes,night time,beach,etc)and soon as the light(of the outdoors hits the lens boom a whiteout.

doesn,t matter if i,m looking threw the evf or using the lcd. i have to move around the object to get the cam to pic up the object correctly without it being washed out.

now for the heck of it i thought i,d take a couple shots anyways,just to see the outcome.

this is so much annoying to me because i can,t take a quick shot of unsespecting things/people.

went to take a quick shot of a freind yesterday,and again today(another freind we met in the parking lot),mind you now,i,d have to put the cam up,take the shot and be pleased i got it before they realised what happen,and didn,t have chance to shy away before getting my shot.

here's a couple pics to show my point.

this situation being in any mode i select (excluding certain modes,night time,beach,etc)

Photo A :this is what happens most times i put the cam upin ,any mode,efv or lcd.

i do understand vehicles cast of a reflection and light,but look at the next photo.
Attached Images

CoolD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:01 AM   #6

Photo B:

same vehicly,but notice i tilted the camera down abit to loose the light/washout
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:04 AM   #7

same here of 1 of my dogs,put the cam up,just a washout,or i call it a whitout,lol.

I,ve missed many shots of people and animals because of this,soon as i point the camera i have to take time to move around the object to get it threw the camera that its not a bright light glare like before i can take a pic,by the time i,ve moved around to get a shot without this whiteout its too late,object moved on.

Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:39 AM   #8

Comparing the 2 car photos, it looks like the top one has been exposed for 2x as long.
What metering mode are you using - spot, multi or average? If you are using spot metering, that could result in drastically overexposed/underexposed photos.

EDIT: I just looked at the exif of your photos, and you are using spot metering. Change it to multi or average and you should be fine.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:46 AM   #9

Chris is correct-

CoolD, your white-out problem might be due to several things:

(1) The Mode Selector is Automatic, rather than the much preferred P for Programed Auto. Always use "P" for every photo till we get this sorted out, please.

(2) The metering mode should remain in "Multi,""spot" is to only be used for portraits or macro shots.

(3) The ISO setting (selected with the "f" button) should be in "Auto(400) when taking photos outside.

(4) The WB ( white balance) should be set to "Auto."

That should sort things out for you. If it does not please let me know.

One other note:
CoolD, I don't want to cramp your style one bit. However, please keep in mind that the S-700/S-5700 does not have IS. Therefore, you have to hold the camera perfectly still when actuating the shutter button. Any camera movement, no mater how slight, will cause some blurriness.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:45 AM   #10

no no no,your all missing the point.

point is,this whiteout as i call it,is before taking a pic,without evening touching the shutter button.

i only took the 2 shots i posted to give you an idea of what i have before even taking a shot while just looking threw the evf and/or lcd.

and, is in every single mode.