Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:04 PM   #1

Hi guys - first posting on here and i am after not one but two cameras! - the first is a point & shoot style for my other half. She's been using a Kodak with little or no zoom (2x I think). The second is for me (not sure what yet)

Main criteria is a decent zoom. I've sourced a 5600 for £111 delivered and it seems well reviewed. In all honesty it will be used as a point & shoot - zoom in and out camera on auto mode. P,A,S,M will be algebra to her and as for stepping down and f stops, she'll think I'm swearing.

I have a Konica Minolta Z5 I bought a few year ago (12x) and my main interest lies on DSLR (Canon 350d and an army of lenses) and bird photography.

I think at £111 it is a bargain and that amount of zoom at such cost must be a good shout. I guess i just want one of you guys to confirm. Is there anything better/similar to consider for similar cost?

Steve
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:12 AM   #2

I have the S5200. Have had it since fall of 2005. I like it and think it's easy to use in auto mode. It's not a huge camera, but Idon't think that the camera is pocketable unless you have especially big pockets.Another camera at similar prices (maybe) and easy to use would be something like the Canon Powershot A560. It's smaller.

My experience is that if the camera is small, it's more likely that I will have it around when I want to take a picture.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3

The S5600 is a fine camera. But as simple as it is, compared to other cameras, when it was a current model it was listed under the "serious" category on the Fuji website. If you are thinking of getting something for your wife in the Fuji line of cameras I would suggest that you consider one of the "F" series cameras. They are much more compact, and from what I have seen they are much simpler to operate. I have a S5100 and S9000, plus I have an older Pentax Optio camera. The Pentax is a much simpler camera to use, and one that my wife prefers to take with her on little family outings. The S5600 is not a huge camera, but it is one that would be difficult to simply drop in a handbag. If you like the style of the S5600 you might consider the S-700/5700. It is the same SLR-like styling but is quite a bit smaller. And it has a good auto mode. You ask about image quality maybe? In reality any of the little cameras that are out will take excellent images within the limits of their capabilities. If you really want to get technical about image quality and noise ratios, then digital SLR cameras are unquestionably the logical choice. But for the non-technical photographer I personally believe that any of the compact cameras will produce suitable results.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4

Sorry, double post.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:05 PM   #5

Thanks folks. Yes I have DSLR and in fairness it is a point & shoot we need, or rather she needs. The main criteria is a zoom as the Kodak she has now is useless (2x). I sourced a cheap (for the UK) 5600 (£111).

Thanks again - appreciate all comments.

Steve
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:05 PM   #6
cpe

I Think jphess is right in suggesting te F-series, especially for low light situations, i.e. family indoors. I believe the F31 gets a lot of credit for that in this forum. But it zooms only 3x (36-108mm). If you want small zoomers, I tried the Ricoh R4 and R5 (7x zoom, 28-200mm). It is really pocketable, the R5 comes in colours, I loved the handling, but its low light capabilities were only average. That seems to the norm in compacts (I believe I read the same for the TZ2 and TZ3 for example). So: zoom or low light?
cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:19 AM   #7

Being that the OP has now stated twice that zoom range is of primary importance, I think we can dispense with any of the F-series cameras, except perhaps the F650, which lacks the super-CCD sensor but has a 5x zoom and a loverly 3" LCD screen. My fiancee loves hers.

I think the aforementioned S5700 and Panny TZ3 are excellent suggestions. The TZ3 seems to do a bit better than some other Pannies of recent vintage in the high-iso noise department. I have no idea how prices compare inthe UK.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote