Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1

Took this in the shade of the tree's canopy, looking thru the evf, full zoom, ISO 800, 1/30 shutter. Shot RAW and post-processed in Noiseware CE and Photoshop CS2. Having true IS would've been great for this opportunity, but oh, well.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:14 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Wonderful little friend. Picture doesn´t look post processed at all. Great. Good luck with your new camera. RAW is great to have

/T

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 5:10 PM   #3

Nice picture, just got my S6500fd a couple day's ago, but need to really get used to it
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:51 PM   #4

Pretty shot. As if it is going to jump out of my screen.

I just bought a Fuji S6000fd too. :lol:
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:47 PM   #5

Thank you for looking and the nice comments!

Just a bit of elucidation of my worflow, if I may... :G

There are 2 difference kinds of image "noise" - luminance and color. I think of luminance as the "grain", and the color noise as the color blotchiness that P&S cameras get in the higher ISO ranges. Grain doesn't bother me too much, but the discolorations (often yellow and purple) do. So, when I used Noiseware CE to reduce the image noise, I elected to reduce the grain (luminance) only slightly and the color somewhat more. This resulted in a somewhat grainy photo, but a good deal of detail remained and the color was fairly true.

After adjusting shadow/highlights and color saturation to my satisfaction, I applied unsharp mask 3 times. If I recall correctly, 1st was at 130% and radius = 1.2, 2nd was at 10% and radius = 40, and for the 3rd application I masked the chipmunk, and applied unsharp at 50% and radius = 0.5 to the chipmunk alone.

All of these settings will vary, of course, based on the nature of the scene. The most important thing for me was that I chose to shoot RAW, which allowed me the most latitude in determining how the finished photo would look.

Marbles and Hercules, we are expecting photos from you guys...

Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:14 AM   #6

What settings do you recommend sharpness set to soft hard or normal, anything else would be appreciated
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7

I set the sharpness to "soft", as that creates fewer jpeg artifacts, and allows me to sharpen as I like. The only other default setting I change is the EV to -1/3 to reduce blown highlights, and of course it also sometimes results in a faster shutter.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:39 PM   #8

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Marbles and Hercules, we are expecting photos from you guys...
I just submitted my very first post Raindrops Hibiscuscouple of days ago in the Close-ups section. Indeed, S6000fd is a very nice and capable camera. I will definitely shoot more pictures and share them with everyone here. :-)
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote