Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:17 PM   #1

Nothing touches this camera at its price!

Tried out some settings...obviously I need a tripod. Night shots were a complete failure, but I'm pretty impressed with the low lights ones I took during sunset...

landscape mode

landscape mode

deleted night shots...annoying size i'm sure for everyone
i hope imageshack shrinks the ones i'm about to post...

Jarrett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:07 PM   #2

Congratulations, Jarrett ! I know you'll be pleased. A good set of intro shots. I like the second landscape shot best.

I often use a monopod with that camera in low-light. That seems to work well, particularly for shooting sports under the lights. If you're going to be doing much shooting at ISO 1600 or ISO 3200, get you a good piece of noise reduction software. I use Noiseware Community Edition (free), but there are several good programs out there including Noise Ninja and NeatImage. Your shots will be the better for it.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:50 PM   #3

As much as I like to tweak stuff myself, I have to admit most of the presets (landscape, portrait, natural) are very good for most scenes. Takes care of a lot of ISO tweaking

Things I don't understand very well are shutter priority and aperture priority...?

When I take shots in macro/super is there a difference if I use the optical zoom + AF or no optical zoom + AF?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:33 PM   #4

Natural

Landscape (no zoom)

Landscape (10x)

Natural (super macro)

SP Flower (super macro)

forget setting

forget setting

forget setting

Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:29 PM   #5

I have never used the presets, but I hear most are good. I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority for two reasons--it gives you the least depth of field because you open the lens wide to produce a strong DOF effect, and it gives you the fastest possible shutter speed for a given ISO.

In Aperture mode you set your ISO, then adjust your Aperture to where you want it (usually wide open for me), then the camera determines the best shutter speed for proper exposure. Shutter Priority is just the opposite. You set the ISO, then the shutter speed you want. The camera then chooses the proper aperture. It's useful when you know how fast your shutter needs to be to capture a particular piece of action, the fluttering of a bee's wings, etc.

Play with all the settings. BTW....the red flower macro is very nice.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:40 PM   #6

could you explain the aperture thing to me? it takes in more light at wider apertures? (F2. 8 ) . you say you use it in any situation, how do you know how to adjust the aperture? there's some number in the bottom left of the display that changes depending where I move the camera

I tried doing...

- ISO 100, 200, 400
- 10x zoom
- aperture F4.8 (widest at 10x)
- aperture at F8 (most narrow at 10x)

without zoom it does F2.8-F11

i just don't get how to use this mode properly:evil:
i couldn't see any drastic difference besides the trees being captured better at iso 400

What iso mode do you use for regular outdoor shots? What does a higher iso benefit besides slowing motion and being more sensitive to light? Nothing having to do with detail?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:10 PM   #7

You're basically right. The camera takes in maximum light at the widest aperature. When you've got it set in "A" mode, that means that the camera will use its fastest possible shutter speed to get a correct exposure. When shooting action, particularly in situations where light is limited, I am usually trying to get as much speed as possible. Below I've posted an example taken at ISO 1600, 67mm (full zoom), f4.9. Thus, I've maximized the speed of the camera and still gotten both motion blur and noise. Still far better than what would normally be achievable without a dedicated high speed sports lens on a DSLR.

The other effect of a wider aperature is a shrinking of the depth of field. This is most apparent in closeups where the main subject is in focus and everything behind it is blurred.
Attached Images

Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:19 PM   #8

With better light, this allows you to freeze action without blurring. (This shot also had a 1.7X teleconverter lens used.)
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:51 PM   #9

thanks trojansoc

do you happen to know the difference between normal and fine modes? Only info I could find is normal takes twice as many pictures
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:16 PM   #10

"Normal" increases jpg compression, resulting in smaller files sizes but at some loss of detail and increased jpg artifacts.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote