Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1

Yesterday (Friday) I received my Sony TCon in the mail - cost was about $108 incl. shipping. So, last night and today I had my first adventures with it, coupled to my Fuji S6000fd. This gives me an effective reach of 510mm.

I don't have anything to compare this TCon with, except of course for the lens of the camera itself, so I can't really say if this is a good TCon or a bad one. I do notice some issues working with my camera, such as image softness, ghosting and overbrightness. Of course, this TCon wasn't designed specifically for my camera, so I will have to learn to adjust. I normally have my camera set to -1/3 EV, but highlights get blown to smithereens with the TCon. So I've been using -2/3 EV, but that's still too bright. Perhaps -1 or even -1 1/3 will fit the bill.

Handheld in daylight , I will probably have to stick with ISO 400 and 800, perhaps 200 if I can brace myself against something.

On to the samples, which have had levels adjusted and USM in PS CS2, all taken as JPG except the rabbit, which was taken RAW:

#1, moon, using a tripod, cropped:
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2

#2, the far end of my backyard about 90' away. I was braced against the rail of the deck, ISO 200.

#3, taken about 50' away, again I was braced against the deck, ISO 200.

#4, about 80' away in my neighbor's yard, this time completely handheld, ISO 800.

Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:30 PM   #3

#5, pretty much the same as #4, although I did use a warming filter in Photoshop. ISO 800.

#6, cropped, RAW, ISO 200 and on a tripod.

#7, this one was taken late afternoon, very cloudy. ISO 100, and on a tripod.

Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:28 AM   #4

flipped, congratulations on getting the teleconverter. If you have anything close to the experience I've had with it, you'll be pleased. Which version of the Sony teleconverter did you get? I know there are two or three versions. I have not had any of the problems you mention with ghosting and overbrightness, although I have seen some issues with softness of images.

I have the VCL-HGD1750. The biggest issue I've had is the weight of the lens because of its very heavy construction. (It weighs well over a pound.) As a result, I had to buy a lens support bracket and use it only off a monopod (or tripod).

This shot was taken with the teleconverter. I think it was at ISO 400. Shot was taken from a box near midfield to action on the opposite side of the field near the penalty area...a total distance of probably 60-70 yards.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:00 AM   #5

Hey coach, I had forgotten that you bought a TCon also a while back.

The model I have is different than yours - mine is VCL-DH1758. It weights about 8.5 ounces.

Actually, the photo you posted is demonstrating the overbrightness - the whites are way blown out, and that is probably at least a partial contributor to the chromatic abberation you are experiencing. The good news is that you were able to quite nicely capture the looks of effort on the players' faces.

I'm not really going to complain about the brightness of the lens - heck, if I have to apply more -EV, that's great - I'll be able to use a faster shutter that way.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:20 AM   #6

Well, it seems that a setting of -1 1/3 EV works best with my particular camera/lens combo. The resultant images are, at times, a bit flat and underexposed, but OK to work with. It simply seems, IMO, to have somewhat odd contrast properties.

Attached Images