Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:06 PM   #1

Im looking for a good fairly cheap bounce flash for the fuji s9100. If anyone has a good site or has one, please let me know.

insanefirewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:59 AM   #2

Here is one that I have seen recommended by several people:

http://www.amazon.com/SunPak-383-Sun...587&sr=8-1
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:14 AM   #3

GREAT, thanks,

so is there a cable to attatch, for sync or no.
do ya have to adjust the flash settings or anything. I borrowed a canon basic Flash, that attatches to the hotshoe, no wire or anything. then turn the setting ON , on the camera. the flash works, but WAY too bright!! the whole picture is just white FROM THE BRIGHTNESS.
with these flashes is there a way to adjust the flash setting ( tell the flash to lower the flashing brightness lol )

Thanks again!!
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4

I don't have this flash. But as I understand it, there is a guide on the back of the unit that will give you a choice of three different f/stops and will provide an indication of the effective range of the flash for each of those settings. There will be a little switch where you can choose which of those settings you are going to use. Then, on your camera, you will set the aperture to the same f/stop. Once you have the camera and the flash settings coordinated all you have to do is start taking pictures. The flash will adjust its output to properly expose the subject as long as you stay within the indicated distance range.

Because the 9100 doesn't have a TTL controlled system, it is not practical to think you can use a flash with the camera set to the Auto mode. That might be the reason your pictures with that other unit were overexposed. For indoor shooting you will probably want to have the camera set to manual mode. In most cases you will probably want the shutter speed somewhere between 1/125 and 1/250. It isn't as critical because the flash output is controlling the exposure, and the duration of the burst from the flash will be shorter than 1/10,000 sec.. For outdoor photography, where you might be using the flash for fill light, use the aperture preferred setting and set the aperture to match the flash, and then let the camera choose the proper shutter speed. One of the advantages of the 9100 is that you have a much broader range of shutter speeds that will synchronize with the flash compared to a digital SLR. With the SLR cameras the flash has to fire while both shutter curtains are open, and that usually limits the maximum shutter speed to something like 1/180. So I think it might be easier to do flash fill photography with a camera like yours. I might be wrong, but that's the way it seems to me.

I don't know if you've read any of the reviews on that website, but one was written by an individual has the 9100, and he says that the flash unit works very well with the camera.

As I said, I don't have this unit. I have a different one that has a Pentax dedicated shoe on it, but it also has an automatic setting. If I was going to rely on my 9000 as my main camera for a while longer, I might consider getting one. But I plan on moving to a digital SLR sometime in the coming months.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:37 PM   #5

Thank you very much that clears alot up! and yes i was wondering about arpature etc.
the hotshoe flash wont fire of course in auto mode, but in A, S, M it will fire. ( and is recomended in those 3 settings ) This flash is borrowed, its a couple years old. It dont have any settings right on it, just on|Off, and Lock. yes i did read that review. That does help also.
The overexposure must be due to no settings changed at all. But that bounce flash with the filler would be much better.

Thank you!