Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:35 PM   #1

July 26th I saw this new addition to the "F" series -

Fujifilm Digital Cameras - Digital Camera Showcase - Fujifilm FinePix F50fd

I've been waiting for the next generation to replace the F30/31.

First and foremost I want the Fuji for the ISO -- whichFuji hasincreased to 6400 (when set to 3 MP pics. 3200 at 6 MP)!Yes,I know what3200 can look like so I do not have high hope for 6400 but one site saidFuji had improved the noise reduction?

Things I like about the specs so far:
- the feel of the camera. It is built like the F40; slightly thinner. Buttons placed in the back where I prefer them
- megapixels have been increased to 12MP. Great for beautiful scenery like the sample on the Fuji website or for cropping
- (automatic) Red eye fix after shooting the pic
- dual image stabilization.
- takes xD and SD cards
- a new 2.7" LCD setup that lets you see 100 pics on the screen at one time for easier locating
- its fully manual
- can transfer images wirelessly
-has goodbattery life that Fuji is known for

The F50 isn't available until Sept. (which could mean late August). Amazon is saying Oct.
All comments are welcome.

Malinda
Malinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2

All the new Fuji cameras are receiving a lot of criticism on another forum. Too many megapixels, too small of a sensor, why does Fuji think they need "dual" image stabilization, and the list just goes on and on. The consumers seem to be demanding more and more and more from these little cameras. It seems to me that they want digital SLR quality from a $300 pocket camera. I think the new models really look impressive. But then, what do I know? I'm still reasonably happy with my S9000.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:47 PM   #3

I think the criticism is well deserved. More and more cameras seem to have more megapixels while having less detail. It's not a comparison between a dslr and a point and shoot that pisses people off its the comparison between a 4 year old point and shoot and a new one. My sony f707 has a 2/3" chip and 5 megapixels and an intermittant problem with white ballance and focus yet I'd bet it would take sharper pictures than a f50.

I can see why you are happy with a s9000 I just wish they had upgraded the s9100 to a 6mp fuji ccd and IS. That would have been the perfect camera.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Malinda, yes, the F50 will have mechanical image stabilization, which most of us have been clamoring for, but the battery took a huge hit, and a lot of people are complaining that the image quality (and low light capability) has likely taken a significant hit, as well. 12 megapixels is great, but not when that means all you end up with is larger, softer pictures. I hope tech advances have allowedFuji to work magic with this camera that makes cramming twice as many megapixels onto a slightly larger sensor deceptively reasonable. We can hope the reviews are surprisingly good, and keep our fingers crossed... just don't hold your breath.
Snappy Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:37 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. For some reason I get locked out of the forum every now and then. I get a message that cookies need to be enabled but I've never changed my settings for cookies?? Anyway I'm back now and still very interested in what people think of the F50.

Regarding the earlier post by jphess about the sensor being smaller, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the smaller the number of the sensor the better it was? Example the little Z10 party camera has a 2.5 inch sensor whereas the F31 has the 1.7 inch and now the F50 will have a 1.6 inch. Any info about sensors are welcome.

The battery not being able to take as many pics is a concern. It would have me buying a second for backup. And from test driving my friends Fuji F30 and 31, I wish I didn't have to tie up the camera to charge the battery. I like the separate charger that comes with the mu Canon and Nikon cameras. Really don't want to buy a separate Fuji charger.

I will be eager to see how the first pics people post look. This is not my primary compact. I'm very happy with my Nikon S10 with its great swivel and 10x zoom. I want Fuji's low light capability for shooting pics of my pooch and family. If its the same as what the F30/31 can deliever then anything else that is an improvement on the F50 is gravy. Should I be concerned that the low light ability will suffer with these new changes? I wouldn't see why it would if I'm ok shooting at the lower megapixel settings?

Malinda

Snappy Happy wrote:
Quote:
Malinda, yes, the F50 will have mechanical image stabilization, which most of us have been clamoring for, but the battery took a huge hit, and a lot of people are complaining that the image quality (and low light capability) has likely taken a significant hit, as well. 12 megapixels is great, but not when that means all you end up with is larger, softer pictures. I hope tech advances have allowedFuji to work magic with this camera that makes cramming twice as many megapixels onto a slightly larger sensor deceptively reasonable. We can hope the reviews are surprisingly good, and keep our fingers crossed... just don't hold your breath.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:02 AM   #6

It seems that I misread your comment. Yes, you understand correctly that the smaller number means a larger sensor. That is true because that number is a fraction. But trying to put 12 MP onto a 1.6 sensor is still not going to produce the high quality images that you see from other models. But for those who are clamoring more megapixels, this camera should be a real feast.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:35 AM   #7

It's always interesing to see what fuji can come up with

best to wait for the reviews before making any purchases :-)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...tal-cameras/p1

........................:|.............musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:06 AM   #8

Stay away from that pixel packing fool and take a look at the Panasonic FX33.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:30 AM   #9

like musket-

I prefer to wait for the professional reviews.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:39 PM   #10

Just throwing out a thought since we've been talking about the 12 megapixels on the F50 ... I want this camera for low light shooting - from the Fuji website -

[*]Up to ISO 1600 at full resolution [/*][*]Up to ISO 3200 at 6MP and ISO 6400 at 3MP If I reduce the setting tolower megapixels would I get better results at 1600 ISO than when trying to shoot at full resolution?

Malinda

[/*]