Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1

I recently bought an S6000fd and have been very happy with the camera until the other day when I turned it on and it made a strange clicking/whirring sound in the "on" position. I also took a shot and nothing in the "P" position and no picture came out. I took out the xD card and the same thing happened with or without the xD card inserted, so the problem is not there. Do you think I got a lemon and should send the camera back to amazon.com? It worked fine for about a week before this started. Thanks.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2

The sound you are hearing COULD be from having the camera set to continuous autofocus. Check to make sure you haven't inadvertently switched to that focus mode. I find that I do it occasionally without knowing it with my 9000. If that isn't the solution, it might be a good idea to return the camera.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:17 PM   #3

Thanks. I did have the auto focus set to continous auto focus. When I reset it to Single Auto Focus, the clicking sound stopped. When I reset it again to C-AF, the clicking started again. This seems to have solved the problem. Do you hear the clicking sound when you set your camera to C-AF? If you would kindly check, it would help me to know if this is normal for the S6000 or not. There is no mention of the sound occurring in the owner's manual.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:27 PM   #4

Yes, what you are hearing is the continuous adjustment of the autofocus mechanism. It is common, it is normal. Whenever I start hearing "funny" little noises on my camera I know that I inadvertently switched it to continuous.

When I have my camera set to single autofocus, whenever I press the shutter button halfway down I hear the clicking noise. That's because the focusing mechanism has become activated. When you are in continuous autofocus the camera is constantly trying to focus on something. So whenever you move the camera it is going to trigger it to refocus. Normally I only use continuous autofocus if I need to shorten the delay in the time it takes for the camera to focus. Most of the time I prefer having my camera in single autofocus.

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote