Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:15 AM   #11

Hi geewhiz,

I see your problem, the firmware update requires you copy the update onto the card then when you switch it on holding down the special combo of buttons it then does the update!

I think you will need to buy a cheapo smaller card (64mb / 128mb card) then use that! They should be cheap <£10.

Hope it works for you (my MMC 4gb card does not work, but SD cards should be fine)

Greg

Shaddow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:41 PM   #12

Thanks for the comment, I am still unsure what to do! I went to a local Ritz store the other day to ask someone in there, the two girls working there both seemed to think it would be fine to just put the new 4gb straight in. I wonder if anyone out there has done this? I tried to look over the instructions, but to me it still looks like I"ll need another card first! If you get more of a handle on it I would be pleased for you to let me know, wish I understood how these things worked better! Amanda
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:24 PM   #13

You will not be able to upgrade the firmware using the 4 GB card, since the camera can't read or write to it yet. You need to pick up another card. It doesn't have to be very big or especially fast, so pick up the cheapest one you can find. (or better yet, borrow one) Just make sure you format it first.
C0mdrData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:59 PM   #14

So it is necessary to have a card in the camera to enable the upgrade to work? The camera has its own memory and you are upgrading the camera, not the card.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:33 PM   #15

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
So it is necessary to have a card in the camera to enable the upgrade to work? The camera has its own memory and you are upgrading the camera, not the card.
Yeah Bynx the firmware upgrade it take place from the SD Card to the internal firmware.

I only have a 1gb sd cardbutI did take the risk and upgraded the factory firmware andit have a fix for the AF Lamp on the 2second timer

But you can check wich version of firmware you have.

"Insert a blank formatted media in the camera. Turn on your FinePix S700/S5700 while holding down the [DISP/BACK] button. The number will displayed "CURRENT" showing the camera's current firmware version"

cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:54 PM   #16

Thanks Cyber. I have 1.00 Firmware. I tried downloading the upgrade from Fuji but it didnt download for some reason. Taking path of least resistance I gave up. I have a 2 Gig card and I dont use the 2 second timer so I have no need for the upgrade at this time.

Well in light of the fact I use the 2 second timer a lot to help keep camera steady on tripod I installed 1.01 Firmware. It was no big deal but the warnings made me worry. Now Im glad I took the step. :G
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote