Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:50 AM   #1

Hi there. Although I am posting for the first time, I have been lurking for a while. I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at the pictures that people have posted with their S700's, especially since I am a new owner of this camera. I appreciate the respect given here to this camera, unlike other boards which seem to assume that everyone has unlimited funds for their hobby. I do realize the limitations of this camera, but I have found Paint Shop Pro to be very effective at getting past the CA and noise issues.

Anyway, I just thought that people would like to know that there is a firmware upgrade available at the Fuji website. It apparently adds SDHC support to the camera. Although I have installed the update, I don't have an SDHC card available to test it, so I can't say whether it works or not.

As always be very careful to follow the instructions exactly, as a misstep could cause the camera to become inoperative.

Here is the link for the update:

http://fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epar...cucatid=664260
C0mdrData is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:58 AM   #2

Ive tried it and my cheap 4gb SDHC card works fine
JAMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:15 PM   #3

Whats the diff between a SD card and a SDHC card?

and after reading the manual,i thought the S700 only supported cards up to 2gb?
CoolD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:29 PM   #4

SDHC cards are physically the same size as regular SD cards. The file structure is different however. That is why a camera must have software (called "firmware" when it is built into hardware other than a computer) that can read/write to them .

Although there are 4GB SD cards that are not SDHC, they are not offered by the major memory card manufacturers, and there are compatibility issues. The S700 as delivered is only designed to work with SD cards up to 2GB. Once the firmware is upgraded, the camera's software becomes compatable with SDHC cards...something that couldn't be anticipated when the manual was printed. Since the cards are physically the same size, with the electrical contacts in the same place, Fuji was able to do this.

By the way, if you check the thread "Fuji s700, is this normal" you will find out that SDHC compatibility is not the only improvement this upgrade offers.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:12 PM   #5

I have a problem that my 4gb MMC (Not SDHC) card does not work in this camera.

It works fine in my old Canon Ixux 40.

It is a very common card found on Ebay:

(Myflash 200x Turbo MMCplus) - Adata

I was hoping this update would solve the problem (some say it introduced Fat32 (>2gb) but it looks like only SDHC >2gb issupported?

Anyone else use an mmc/sd card >2gb?

If I buy a smaller card 1-2gb what should I get SD or MMC? can anyone confirm which make/sizes work?

Thanks

<Edit> - I've just seen the prices of 4gb SDSH cards on ebay (£20) - I thought they were more expensive - so I guess I will just get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sandisk-4GB-SD...QQcmdZViewItem

Shaddow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:49 PM   #6

2 Gig SD card will work fine.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:26 PM   #7

The manual of the S700 specifically states that MM cards are not compatible. Although they are generally interchangeable with SD cards, they are not the same. Stick to SD and (if you upgrade the firmware) SDHC cards.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:08 PM   #8

I was only surprised as this is the 1st device that I have found that does not support them ! Odd- I'm sure they are not that different!
Shaddow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:23 PM   #9

[align=left]Hi there, I am pretty new to digital cameras. Took about three weeks to decide on going for the fuji s700, it has arrived along with the 4gb card I ordered with it, but i have no idea how to do the firmware update without another blank formated card before hand. I only have the one 4gb, I know it will be fine once it is all worked out, but i am so excited and frustrated at the same time. Can anyone help this complete beginner solve her problem? My son will help me but he doens't know if it is possible without another formatted card? Looking forward to hearing from you. Amanda
[/align]
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 7:03 PM   #10

The firmware update alters the firmware of your camera regardless whether there is a card inserted or not. But I would check the Fuji site before to make sure what I said here is 100%.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote