Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:40 AM   #1

Hi all,

Just bought the Fuji S6500fd to replace my kyocera m410r that unfortunately broke down.. I'm very happy with the picture quality of the camera and already love the manual controls (especially the zoom). One thing actually bothers me and i do not
know if it is normal with this camera.

When you move the camera from light to darker or the other way around you
can clearly hear the lens closing the opening to adjust for the light entering
the lens, its sort of a ticking noise and clearly there ? Does your 6000/6500 have
the same or should i return this one...

It happens in (s)af and manual focus as wel without having touched the shutter release so by just moving the camera . the noise is there if you point the camera at a either brighter or darker light source and you can see on the screen that the

camera adjusts the image (lighter or darker) so i would expect that it is the aperture that is opening/closing to allow the right amount of light.

I know that it is normal that this makes some noise as it is a mechenical prosess but with my camera it is so clearly there that i am not sure if something could be wrong..

Thanks for your help....

mr_vandepotgerukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2

I don't have the 6000/6500, I have a 9000. I hear similar noises in my camera. You can worry about it if you want to, but exchanging cameras probably isn't going to change anything.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:26 PM   #3

It's normal.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:58 AM   #4

I have just recently bought a 6500fd and i have the same noises, so i think it is normal.

It certainly doesn't affect the quality of shots, nor does it affect the functioning of the camera.

Whilst I am on the subject of this camera, I am particularly impressed with the flash photography it produces.

I use the "Slow Sync" setting if i have to use flash (which i usually try and avoid wherever possible).

The shots never look washed out nor under-exposed. They look natural and it is often difficult to tell that flash has been used.

When i am taking shots in low light, this is when i hear the clicking noise you spoke about.

I have had the camera for about a month now and have shot about 400 shots on it so far.

I use either fully manual or aperture priority modes, although i find the manual focus ring thingy a bit strange.

I am very happy with it.

I still shoot on 35mm film SLRs of which I have an Olympus OM10 with a manual adapter fitted and a Minolta X-300 which is fully manual as standard. I have the film negs / slides scanned and upload them to an on line photo album and they are excellent quality (if i may say so myself :-)).

However, the Fuji is coming close to the quality of these cameras so far and i think with a bit more practise with it, the Fuji may even surpassmy SLRs abilities for most kind of shooting conditions.

I am using the Fuji as a bridging camera until i decide which DSLR to buy, but i may take longer over my decision now after the quality i have observed with the Fuji.

Prior to the 6500fd i owned a Fuji S5000, which was an excellent camera, especially when used manually.

I know I've prattled on a bit, but I hope the above helps you and maybe gives you a bit more info you didn't know about the 6500fd.

Regards

Rubber2405 (England, UK).
rubber2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5

Haha, that clickity clack is just a Fuji's way of purring...

Ok so it's not really a nice noise, but fuji has always had this problem, not that it's a problem at all... unless you are an undercover spy hidding in the bushes. You're not a spy are you? :O

But seriously, I've owned decade old fujis that had this problem, and I just recently bought a S6000fd (or for the europeans S6500fd) to accompany my F810Z. Seems that all fujis make the same noise. The shutter apperture is noisy, and so is the focus ring moving...

Better to have the noise in the camera than in the shots:-)

-D-
Dfauchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6

I just bought the s6500fd 3 days ago.
And i have the exact same problem as you did. But later i found out that the purring/clicking noise was caused by the continuous autofocus.
On the left side of your camera, there is a dial right?
Turn it to Single AF.

I've read many reviews regarding this camera. And that's the reason why I bought it.
Somehow, I'm left dissatisfied.
Am I like the only s6500fd user out there who feels that the s6500fd is inadequate?

I have a fujifilm P&S (a 2003 model), canon s50 and s3 is.

mark_lj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:13 PM   #7

What is the nature of your dissatisfaction?

Inadequate? In what way?

the Hun

Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:12 AM   #8

Well, the camera's body is made of plastic which feels fragile. But considering the price tag which came along with the camera, I guess i can't complain much.

I've read reviews saying that the flash output is excellent. In my past experience with the Fuji P&S that I have purchased years ago, I came up with the conclusion that Fuji cameras produce excellent colors in broad daylight with very low noise levels.
However, once you shoot photos in low lighting when the flash is needed, the photos come out underexposed.
Fuji's flash output just isn't strong enough!
Canon's on the other hand, is excellent. I have the S1 IS and the S50. Both of these cameras have a menu to control the flash output. And man...when it fires at full output, it is really really bright.
That was the expectation that I have when I read reviews saying the s6500fd has a strong flash.

When i shot photos during the late evening, I was mortified as s6500fd's flash was just as bad as my first Fuji camera!!!
At times, even after adjusting the flash output for te s6500fd, it doesn;t make any difference. The shots are still underexposed. The camera was set on Auto and P mode. (let's leave the manual mode out of the picture as we both know that with a tripod and slow shutter speed, I'll get adequately exposed photos)
All these I did without using the tripod. I only did so because the Canon S50 would deliver in such low lighting.

Then there's the issue about the LCD. Its inaccurate. Even when i adjusted it to -2
The colors of the photo look more vibrant on the camera's LCD compared to my notebook screen.

In my s50, whatever I see on the LCD is what I get after I press the shutter button.
In the sense that the exposure is exactly as it is when I am composing the shot and after I've hit the shutter button.
It's not the case with the s6500fd. Under low light, the camera seem to increase the ISO so that the image on the LCD looks bright. But when you actually take the shot, it comes out horribly underexposed.

mark_lj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:47 PM   #9

Wow, I've never had that problem with mine. I guess I just figure, if the flash can't make the grade, I'll up the exposure comp. until it does. Most 'on camera' flashes aren't too great anyway. I know some are better than others but even the one on my DSLR doesn't light up a room like daylight. One thing also, if your close to a subject with the background further away, the camera will adjust exposure and flash so that the main subject isn't over exposed. This of course leaves the background really dark. Is that what your seeing?
Do you print your photos? How does the color look if you do? Any pics me or my wife take with our Fuji look about the same on the PC monitor as they do on the LCD and the same when printing. Very rich, smooth and 'DSLR like' pics.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:13 PM   #10

Marks complains about his S6000 - it's not as good as his S1 IS and S50...

"Well, the camera's body is made of plastic which feels fragile."

What do you think the S1 and S50 bodies are made of? If the S6000's body was made of metal, you'd probably complain that it's too heavy.

" Fuji's flash output just isn't strong enough!"

The S6000 has a flash guide number of 27.3 ft, the S1 = 13.7 ft, the S50 = 13.1 ft. Therefore, the Fuji's flash has twice the range of the Canon's.

" At times, even after adjusting the flash output for te s6500fd, it doesn;t make any difference."

Read your manual.

" Then there's the issue about the LCD. Its inaccurate. Even when i adjusted it to -2
The colors of the photo look more vibrant on the camera's LCD compared to my notebook screen."

Maybe there's something wrong with your notebook screen(?)

"Under low light, the camera seem to increase the ISO so that the image on the LCD looks bright."

The LCD gains up so you can see what you're doing...it does not adjust the ISO settings.

Why don't you post a couple of your horrible pics (with EXIF date attached), and maybe we can figure out what you're doing wrong. I find the flash on the S6000 to be more than adequate.

the Hun