Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:39 PM   #1

Default What's the word on the A205?

Hey all! We are re-aranging the cameras in our family. I bought a Canon A70 and gave my old Oly D-370 to my sister who was going broke with film. In a few weeks it will be her and her twin's birthday. She want's to give her my old Oly, while her husband gives her a new digicam.

So here's the scoop. She could barely figure out the Oly D-370, so ease of use is a must. I had thought about telling her to buy the Canon A60, which can be found online for $190. Now I find that from a more reputable dealer, and free shipping and a 32mb Xd card, she can get the Fuji A205 for $166!

One of the few things I need left before I help her finalize her decision is sample photos. I have seen the ones from the 2650, and know them to be a little on the cool side. Everything had a slightly desaturated bluish hue. In my opinion, that may be solved by manually selecting the WB, but I know she won't do that. That's what I learned from my Oly, I always selected the WB or else I got blueish photos. My sister took over 100 photos during the family vacation, all on the cool side, she never adjusted the WB.

So, granted, the A60 is a much better camera for only 30 bucks more, but she will never use 1/4 the features on it. She just want's to point the camera at her kids, and shoot.

Does she have to buy the A70 to avoid the coolness on her photos? Does anybody here own this camera? Does anyone know where I can get some sample photos? I have done a google search, no luck. None at Fujifilm.com either.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:22 PM   #2

It's difficult to say without seeing your pictures, but it's a common thing to hear Fuji owners complain about orange-hued reds. If it is a matter of a green cast to the photos, then it is also plausible that the coolness you are seeing is the result the Fuji color scheme. It does make portraits a little nicer, though, IMO. The slightly less saturated color makes skin tones prettier and less ruddy.

As far as usability, the Fuji A series has some of the easiest to use digicams on the market. There aren't any controls to get in the way of point and shoot bliss. The camera bodies themselves are a little plasticky above and beyond a comparable 35mm or APS camera which may be a problem if the camera is to live in a rough and tumble environment. But the main plus that it has going for it is that it is incredibly simple to use.

Are the colors so far off that the casual person would notice it?
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your resopnse,

"Are the colors so far off that the casual person would notice it?"

I think my sister noticed it, though I did point it out. It's definatly not to the extreme as the Oly D-370, but still.

So you think this is the result of the Fuji color scheme? On my Olympus, the bulk of bluish hues was due to using the auto white balance. After the first batch of photos, I stopped using the auto wb completely, my photos improved dramatically.

Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote