Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1

I've been doing some research about good quality teleconverters for my S6000fd/S6500fd and according to my budget I came out with these 3 options below but I haven't yet decided which one to buy so I was wondering if you can share your inputs about these Tcons and help me out to take a decision.
Maybe you own one of these Tcons (maybe you have some useful info) and perhaps you're using it/them with a S6000fd.
I'd love to hear your experience!

In order of my preferences
1. Olympus Tcon-14b 1.45x
2. Raynox DCR-1540 1.54x
3. Sony VCL-DH1758 1.7x

I'm open to another option as well.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:23 PM   #2

I used the Olympus TCON-17 with my Fuji S9100 (very similar to your S6000fd). It worked fine.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:43 AM   #3

Evans, I have the Sony teleconverter's heavier brother, the VCL-HGD1758. I love the quality of the photos, but the s6000's lens tube is not built to support the weight of a teleconverter. There is the danger that, if you don't support it properly, you could damage your lens extension threading. I have been told that is why Fuji doesn't make any recommendations of TC's, nor does it offer one.

That being said, I know of several photographers within the Steve's community who use TC's with the s6000, just be aware of the weight specs on the lens you choose and the need to be careful with supporting it. The HGD variant of the Sony lens is incredibly heavy (well over a pound), and the way I most often use it is to shoot soccer, so I went the extra mile and got a Bogen/Manfrotto support bracket, shown below, which is normally mounted on a monopod for sports shooting.

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:46 AM   #4

A couple of examples of shots taken with this set-up
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:51 AM   #5

Note that this is a night shot, taken at ISO 1600. The photographer (since I'm coaching I have to have a student actually shoot for me during matches) is shooting to the far side of the field, and the Fuji was still able to get a solid photo, even with the TC attached. I have a DSLR, but so far I haven't come close to the success I've had with the Fuji in poor high school stadium lighting.
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:55 AM   #6

Thank you coach for sharing your expertise, nice teleconverter BTW.
I think that what you just said about weight is important for me so even that I know Tcon 14b is the best of my three options is too bulky and heavy and what I need is something that I can carry around with me.
Coach, Do you have any information about the Raynox 1540 and S6000fd?
I haven't found any relate it to my camera.

Than you again.

BTW I Love Soccer, I'm from Chile.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:55 PM   #7

I'm glad the information is helpful to you, Evans. I'm sorry to say that I haven't had experience with the Raynox converters with the Fuji camera