Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1

I can't decide if I like this moon shot or not. I don't have any add-on lenses for my Fuji S9000. This is a significant crop of the original image. And I forgot that I had the sharpening set to hard and I don't know if that helped or hindered in this instance. I used the bracketing feature on the camera and took about 75 different photos. Some of them were completely out of focus, some of them were not exposed very well. This is one of the better ones that I have found so far. At least you can see one crater near the bottom. I tried a few with the digital zoom, but the crater didn't have nearly as much detail, and that one little spot is all I used to judge the image.

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:53 PM   #2

Take a look at http://dpfwiw.com/moon.htm#full_moon.

Try f/5.6 ISO 100, 1/125 second (this will result in a exposed to the right histogram and if you shot raw you can bring it back down to maximize signal to noise ratio)

In the image you posted it looks like it has too much NR artifacts. Thus the s/n trick above might help.

Other than that, I don't know what more to say. Shooting the moon isn't always as easy as it would seem.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:17 AM   #3

I really appreciate your taking the time to make suggestions. Actually, I got in kind of a hurry to display that picture last night, and I really didn't do a very good job of finishing it. I chose to shoot in the JPEG mode so that I could use bracketed exposures. The 9000 doesn't have a big enough buffer to bracket raw images. I was going to try again tonight, but there are clouds that are interfering and I don't think I will be able to stay up late enough for them to clear. Here is another try with one of the images from last night. Personally, I like this one much better.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:25 AM   #4

It's bigger but still a bit pixellated. Are you using digital zoom? Try just the optical zoom and in Manual mode use Aperture 5.6 and Shutter 1/30 or 1/60 also set the ISO to 100.
metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:34 AM   #5

The moon finally cleared tonight, so I took a few raw images. Here is one. It is quite heavily cropped, and resizing for the Web didn't do it a lot of good. I don't know if you can see much difference here, but I certainly can.

The pixelation might be attributed to the fact that this is only about 20 percent of the full image area. Remember, I'm not using any add-on lenses so it's quite a challenge to enlarge the moon that much without losing some detail. I might try another one tomorrow but this is all for tonight.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:55 AM   #6

Actually, I miscalculated. Those previous images are an even heavier crop than I indicated. No wonder they look noisy. Here is one that isn't cropped quite so heavily. I guess if I really want good moonshots I need to get a teleconverter.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2007, 2:11 AM   #7

I like the last one ..

I'm not trying to hijack your thread. Let me show a shot also from today. It's taken with a S700 also without add lenses.

cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:47 AM   #8

I suppose a better title for this thread would have been "What Not to Do with Your Digital Images." I tried to enlarge the image of the moon way too much. The picture I am including here has a white border to show how big the image of the moon is in relation to the entire photograph. That is as large as I was able to make the moon without switching to digital zoom. As I have illustrated so well, there is only so much you can do.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:23 PM   #9

The attachment is the Moon shot (unedited) I took about a week ago with the Kodak Z712 IS at 12x. BTW, I returned the Z712 IS.
Attached Images

metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 3:48 AM   #10

For whatever reason Fuji's RAF converter/viewer shows our files as being 4048x3036. The pixeling may be caused by the Fuji software if you work with the RAF files this way. I posted a question about it here when I noticed this behaviour...

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...d164e.3bc4a17e

I'm using the Camera RAW plugin for PS Elements 5.0 instead. I can process them much nicer than I was doing them before. For eg:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jehathe...7601315210648/
^ Opened in Fuji RAF converter and processed in Paint.net

^ Opened with Camera RAW 4.1 plugin and processed in PS Elements 5.0

To elaborate on the settings: ISO 100, 1/100, F8, Spot metering, RAW, Manual focus (locked), self timer 2 sec

Notice the top one is larger? The settings are essentially the same and taken only a day apart. Camera RAW opens them at 2848x2136 like a normal 6MP would come off this camera.

Jarrett84 is offline   Reply With Quote