Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 3, 2007, 7:56 PM   #1

Help, my fave digital camera, our trusty Fuji F700, was dropped in some wet beach sand. (It was either drop the camera or grab my 3 year old, who was being washed out on a wave!)

The camera immediately froze up, sand got into the zoom lens area, and the shutter stuck open.

I'd like to crack it open and clean out the sand. Ive got a line on the triwing screwdriver I need, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Ive never opened a dig camera before, is it pretty complex inside? Lots of parts to put back together, etc?

Thanks in advance,
USAFMXOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:06 PM   #2

I have a bunch that you are probably going to be pretty much on your own with this one. Most digital cameras have "no user serviceable parts." So unless you really know what you are doing it would probably be best to send it in for a cleaning.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm not talking about servicing any parts. I'm talking about cracking it open, cleaning out the sand, and putting it back together. That's the part that scares me, the putting back together.....
USAFMXOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:26 AM   #4

Get anything on the sensor and you will probably have a dead camera - be very careful.
programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5

Whether you're going to "fix" anything or not, I consider it a significant risk to open something as delicate as a digital camera. But since you seem determined to do that, just be very careful. Sometimes Fuji will repair things without charge beyond the warranty period of the camera. But if you decide to open the camera on your own you realize you are assuming all risk and all responsibility for repair costs in the future. It's kind of foolish to bring this up here because I realize I am merely stating the obvious. So go for it.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:32 PM   #6

Just 6 screws to undo to get the back off. Careful though - there's ribbon cable that needs to be disconnected once you can get your finger in the gap. It just pings off up from the circuit board.

Note if you've got sea water in then it's had it. It works like battery acid on delicate circuit boards. Also there's no chance of dismantling the lens (or rather no chance of putting it back together).

If it was me I'd pick up another F700 with a dead CCD off ebay and use your broken one as a donor.

I reckon it'lltake you the whole of an evening (possibly two) tofigure it outand do the job - that's what it took me the first time.The F700 isn't the easiest camera to dismantle so be careful and methodical.

But I agree they're great cameras!
nettleda is offline   Reply With Quote