Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:17 PM   #1

I was interested to read the simultaneously issued reviews of the Fuji A900 and F40fd.

I
n comparing the image quality of the sample pictures of the two cameras, in my opinion they appear very similar with perhaps a slight edge going to the A900 (except for the shot of the kayaks, where the F40fd has more color).

That's why I was surprised to read Steve's muted praise for the A900's picture quality:

"The quality of its 9M fine images is good for an entry-level consumer model. Outdoor shooting produced images that had good exposure and color saturation."

While Steve's description of the image quality of the F40fd was much more positive:

"The F40fd's image quality was very pleasing. It produced very clear, crisp pictures in both "fine" and "normal" mode. Outdoors, the images were well exposed, with vivid colors."

Fuji's pictures have a distinctive look that may not be to everyone's taste, but I wonder whether the A900 is underrated simply because it's directed to beginning photographers.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2

Andy-

It's me again-

If you understand these cameras, then the reviews become very realistic indeed. The A-900 is positioned to be a E-900 replacement whose biggest use will be in good light, out of doors. The imager used on the A-900 is a conventional imager, not one of Fuji's high ISO capable imagers.

The F-40fd does indeed have a high ISO capable imager and while, not as good as the record breaking F-31fd, (Fuji refurbished F-31fd cameras are on sale at www.tristate.co for $249.95) it is none the less a highly capable camera that has both a low light level shooting environment capability as well as a well lighted, outdoor shooting environment cababilty.

These two cameras are directed toward entirely different segments of the market. Therefore, each of these cameras is indeed doing what they were designed for rather well . Now It is time for you to make a choice? What will it be??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 8:04 AM   #3

Canon has complicated the picture for me with the announcement of the 720IS. So I'm back to being on the fence.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:13 AM   #4

Out of interest, the A900 has a 1/1.6" Super CCD, not a conventional one - the main difference appears to be the 'entry level' A series don't have the advanced Fuji Real Photo imaging processing chip with it's high ISO noise reduction algorithms etc.

Much is made of the Super CCDs and they tend to be superior to most digicam sensors in low light but the importance of the image processing chip is often underestimated.

Just some thoughts

Rob :-)
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:40 AM   #5

RobMac-

Thanks so very much for the valuable input regarding the Fuji A-900's imager. I certainly do agree that the size of the imager is attractive. However, it is strange that the noise reduction was left out. Was that true for the highly regarded, but somewhat older, E-900 as well?

Andy-

The Canon A-710IS was a wonderful camera, and most likely the replacement, the A-720IS will probably be as good. However, we will have to await the professional review on the new camera, as by adding more mp we might have gotten into a higher than normal pixel density situation, that could sizeably increase the noise within the camera. I have attached some A-710IS photos that I took yesterday (09/06) while I was shopping. There were all handheld and without flash at ISO 200 and under flourescent lighting.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:42 AM   #6

Hi Sarah

The Real Photo processor has different incarnations and programming. The E900 had fairly sophisticated noise reduction but many other features too. The chips can be programmed in firmware to enable different functions - I've noticed that the more expensive featured digicams usually have more noise reduction for high ISOs but also faster start up and shot to shot times, many more scene modes, manual etc. I guess the entry level A series have a cheaper less featured version of the imaging and control chips. (they do have some noise reduction tho). My wife's Fuji A600 uses a 1/1.7" Super CCD with good IQ but is limited to ISO 400 and has very basic features. It has much the same sensor and lens as the Fxxx series but more noise at ISO 400 mainlydue to the simpler chip. My S5700only has a 1/2.5" conventional sensor (Sony?)but has no more noise at ISO 400 than the A600 with a superCCD and it can go much higher in sensitivity. The S5700 has the more sophisticated Real Photo (II?) Imaging chip. The CCD type is a big factorbut the chip makes quite a difference too.

Boy, I am rambling on

Rob :-)

ps still enjoying the little S5700 after 4 months - finding new things I can do with it all the time.
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:21 PM   #7

I'm no pro but, here are some shots from my F40fd. The photos have only been resized, no post processing at all. http://www.pbase.com/metalfab/fuji_f40fd

BTW I had a Canon A710 IS for a few days before returning it. Canon's greens are quite good however their reds are inaccurate.
metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:59 PM   #8

metalfab-

Your Fuji F-40 shots look really good. Nice work!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:26 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
metalfab-

Your Fuji F-40 shots look really good. Nice work!

Sarah Joyce

Thank you Sarah for the comments. Many more photos to come, the camera is only 2 weeks old
metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote