Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:23 PM   #1

I think I have narrowed my choice down to a Finepix S6000fd/S6500fd or S9100/S9600. Both seem very good cameras from the reviews I've seen. It seems the differences are fairly small and I'm favoring the S6000fd/S6500fd, primarily due to price. Over here in the UK a S6000fd/S6500fd is only 155GBP, 75 pounds cheaper than the S9100/S9600. This price seems a bargain to me.

Is the EVF on the S6000fd/S6500fd large enough and high enough resolution to work well?

The only thing these cameras are missing is image stabilization. Without it how usable is the far zoom range when holding the camera by hand?

As both models are fairly old now, hence the price reductions, are new models expected soon that may have image stabilization. I don't actually require the new camera until January if that means we could get one with stabilization.

Thanks.
jay
jay-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:32 AM   #2

Great choice! I own one too. A lot of people agree it has superior image quality versus the 9100 in low light situations. Maybe 9MP is too much for the Super CCD.
It is pretty much decided among Fuji fans that the s8000fd (the 6000 replacement) is inferior. It doesn't use the Super CCD in the 6000, and the MP are up to 8 so we're assuming it is going to have more noise. It doesn't have the manual focus ring or zoom and instead a zoom in/out button which can try my patience

The lack of IS hasn't been a problem in my use. Really if it's bright outside the shutter will be in the 100ths of a second, IS won't make a bit of difference IMO. If it's overcast and a bit dim out, use ISO 200 and you should get nice results still. You get ISO 100 and 200 free before you start seeing noise with this camera
Another trick is to fully press the shutter so it focuses and instantly takes the picture.

I thought IS was important before buying this camera too, but I don't even think about it now. There's ways around it!
Jarrett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
The manual zoom ring is the feature I most want so I never concidered the 8000fd. Are there any rumours about new models that keep the zoom ring? Glad to hear you are happy with yours though and that you don't miss the IS.

Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:42 AM   #4

This passed year I made a trek to B&H Photo to checkout the S6000 before buying. One thing that was a deal breaker for me was that there was no "play" button on the camera. If memory serves me, you have tousethe selection dial to review pics. I'm sure its something you get used to but I found the extra steps annoying. I see the soon-to-be-released S8000 has returned the play button to the back of the camera. Also I found the LCD to be a little lacking in depth and clarity on the S6000. Not that that effects taking great pictures because certainly the S6000 does a great job!

Malinda
Malinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:31 PM   #5

Malinda,

Not sure what you meant by this:

"I see the soon-to-be-released S8000 has returned the play button to the back of the camera."

When did they take it away? The S6000 was a new model in the Fuji line which never had a Play button on the back of the camera. The S8000 is a new model which has a Play button on the back of the camera. The Play button on the S6000 (actually a slide switch) is located on the top of the camera, next to the shutter release. It couldn't be easier to switch back and forth between shooting mode and playback mode. The S8000 has a zoom toggle switch next to the shutter release, which means you have to take your finger off the shutter release to zoom the camera, then put it back on the shutter release - now I would find that annoying...especially when you are trying to zoom on a moving target - by the time you get the zoom right and put your finger on the shutter release , you subject moves too close and you have to repeat the process. With the S6000, you can keep your finger on the shutter release as you are zooming in on your target with the manual zoom ring...a vastly superior system, if you ask me (and I know you didn't). I can't believe you found the location of the playback switch to be a deal breaker...top of the camera...back of the camera...bottom of the camera...who cares? Playback is after the fact - isn't the ability to capture a great shot more important than the ease with which you can look at your near misses later?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:58 PM   #6

Perhaps 'returned" was the wrong choice of word. All I meant was that the S6000 does not have a play button and the S8000 does. As you accurately said the S6000 accesses the playback of pics on the power switch closer to the front of the camera.

My personal preference is to have adedicated play button next to the LCD screen. Also I prefer a better LCD. And IF the S8000 can do a good job with pic quality I could get over the zoom toggle switch placement to go from 10X to 18x.

Malinda

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Malinda,

Not sure what you meant by this:

"I see the soon-to-be-released S8000 has returned the play button to the back of the camera."

When did they take it away? The S6000 was a new model in the Fuji line which never had a Play button on the back of the camera. The S8000 is a new model which has a Play button on the back of the camera. The Play button on the S6000 (actually a slide switch) is located on the top of the camera, next to the shutter release. It couldn't be easier to switch back and forth between shooting mode and playback mode. The S8000 has a zoom toggle switch next to the shutter release, which means you have to take your finger off the shutter release to zoom the camera, then put it back on the shutter release - now I would find that annoying...especially when you are trying to zoom on a moving target - by the time you get the zoom right and put your finger on the shutter release , you subject moves too close and you have to repeat the process. With the S6000, you can keep your finger on the shutter release as you are zooming in on your target with the manual zoom ring...a vastly superior system, if you ask me (and I know you didn't). I can't believe you found the location of the playback switch to be a deal breaker...top of the camera...back of the camera...bottom of the camera...who cares? Playback is after the fact - isn't the ability to capture a great shot more important than the ease with which you can look at your near misses later?

the Hun
Malinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:41 AM   #7

To me, taking away the manual focus ring guts one of the real advantages of the s6000. In addition to being faster and more accurate, the manual zoom is, I feel, one of the reasons battery consumption on the s6000 is far less than the typical superzoom.

I'm very disappointed in what I've read about the s8000. I was hoping Fuji would come with a worthy successor to the s6000. It seems to me that Fuji has engineered a copycat camera to the H9 and Olympus superzoom.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:37 PM   #8

Yes the manual zoom / focus ring is what makes these cameras stand out from the many other super zooms on the market. I would have thought Fuji would have added IS to this body for the next model which would be in my view the ultimate bridge camera.

Well maybe if it took SD cards instead of the expensive and comparatively rare XD cards it would be the ultimate but it will still be very close.

Jay

Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:28 PM   #9

Another rare xD card remark! Where do you come up with this crap? Can't find xD cards? Try Walmart, Sears, Circuit City, BestBuy, Costco, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, and just about every other major retailer that sells digital cameras. No stores near you? Try Amazon, Beach, B&H, Ritz, J&R, Newegg, Dell, Ebay and just about every other online seller of digital cameras.

Oh, I get it...you must be from Maryland, right?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:51 AM   #10

Well, I touched a nerve there!
I'm in the UK and for a 2GB type H card it is hard to find and is more expensive than an SD or CF card.
Plus my laptop has a built in card reader that works with the the more common cards.