Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:37 AM   #1

Hi,

How is S9600.
I'm still wondering on S9600 or FZ50..
Helps....need your comparison on these two model..
MacTreoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:03 PM   #2

I'm sure there will be many who will quickly tell you that the S6500 or any of the "F" series cameras from Fuji would be a better choice. A lot of the experts will tell you that the 9100/9600 produces images have a lot more noise and that they are not as clear as images from the other cameras that I mentioned. But most of those comments will probably come from people who haven't used a 9100/9600, and they don't really know.

I have the older Fuji 9000. And just about everybody who comments here on a regular basis will tell you what a horrible camera it is. I keep looking at my ever-growing collection of pictures I have taken, wondering what it is I'm not seeing because my pictures are very clear. I have been experimenting with panorama images recently, and I am amazed at just how clear they are.

But the reality is that just about any digital camera produced today will give you wonderful images. I don't know anything about the FZ50. In fact, without looking I wouldn't even know what brand it is. If you are a pixel peeper who wants to scrutinize every image at 200% magnification, I'm sure you can find problems with any camera. But if you are someone who just wants good pictures, and you are willing to learn how to use a camera, either one will do the job for you.

You don't see a lot of comments here from owners of the 9000 series of cameras. All of the comments are being made by owners of other models trying to convince you and others that the other models are better. While all of that is going on, most of the 9000 series owners are out taking pictures because they appreciate what they have. I have let myself open for a lot of hate mail, haven't I?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:11 PM   #3

Jim, I really can't see why you should be flamed for liking your camera.
I loved mine and used it for a year quite a lot. The guy who bought it from me still likes it and uses it a lot for product shots and general photography for another year without any problems. The whole business of the command dial problem was blown out of proportions imho and the newer S9100 addressed this problem and brought a few improvements.
Fuji is a great camera and for your money you get a great package that allows to shoot almost anything from macro to action and sports. It wasn't really fair to compare S9000/9500 to DLRS - the smaller sensor of Fuji just can't deliver the same high ISO performance of the much larger APS-C sensors of the DSLRs, the same goes for the frame rate. It's really is the case of getting what you paid for. Just with Fuji you get a bit more for your money. The main point against this cam with many reviewers and users is the absense of image stabilization, but it never concerned me, since IS only helps with static subjects and can't freeze their movements. The 28-300mm is a great lens and gives a very good range for both indoor and outdoor photography. If it's not enough it's possible to add a wide-angle or a teleconverter for a reasonable price. Personally, I found that for occasional use the digital x2 zoom gives quite acceptable results, imho better results than some cheap teleconverters sold on eBay.
I switched to a DSLR a year ago and the IQ is higher, but so is the price, my telephoto lens alone costs more than a new S9100 and I still want to add a dedicated macro lens, which is not cheap either :sad:. And I really miss the flash sync of the S9500 that goes to 1/1000 sec with any external flash - you won't find this feature even on a pro grade DLSRs.
All in all Fuji is a great camera.
MacTreoUser, both Fuji and Panasonic will give you great results, but only you can decide what is more important for your photography style - wider lens and better high ISO performance of the Fuji or a longer image stabilized lens of the Panasonic. Pana FZ50 is about a 100 UK pounds more expensive, but looking at the B&H prices there is only a $50 difference in the States :roll:
Take your pick, you can't go wrong with either camera. As I mentioned earlier in another thread, if you are serious about photography, a beginners DSLR is a better investment in a long run.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:17 PM   #4

Actually, what I was referring to was my comment about 9000 owners being out taking pictures rather than spending their time convincing themselves and others that their camera, whatever it is, is better.

I agree about digital SLRs. I am just biding my time right now waiting for the right opportunity (and the money) to get one myself. The performance is much better, the image quality is unquestionably superior, especially at higher ISO settings. But I'm afraid other priorities are in the way right now. I am only a couple of years away from retirement, and we aren't ready financially. The sad thing is that it is now possible to purchase a digital SLR for considerably less money than I paid for the 9000. I should have waited, but I didn't.

My camera was one of those that had troubles with the command dial. Mine broke after the warranty had expired. But Fuji still repaired it for free, and I must say that they did it in a very timely fashion.

I have probably purchased my last Fuji camera. I'm not prepared to spend the kind of money that is required to get a Fuji SLR. I only hope that my 9000 continues to perform until I can make the switch to digital SLR.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:56 AM   #5

If you search the internet for topics on Fuji S vs Pana FZ, I think you'll end up getting a head-ache:angry:. If you download their manuals / user guides, (probably) you still won't be able to make a decision:?.

Before I bought my S9600, I've compared S9500 vs FZ30. And from what I've read:
- Fuji S is known for its superior sensor (high ISO capability). Pana's image quality is far below Fuji S when it comes to high ISO capability.
- Pana FZ is known for its superior lens and optical image stabilizer. At slow shutter speed, handheld, and similar ISO, Fuji S won't be able to beat Pana FZ (blur everywhere unless your hand is a tripod:G).
- Fuji S tends to overexpose in Auto mode, but I'm sure it'll be different in PASM modes.
- Fuji S starts at 28mm.
- As long as I remember, Fuji S has a larger sensor size. Larger sensor size (per pixel) usually equals to better image quality. That's why S6000 looks better than S9000. A pixel on 1/1,7" 6 MP is slightly larger than on 1/1,6" 9 MP (do the math:G).
- Fuji S uses cheaper, easy to get AA size batt. Pana FZ uses more expensive (but more powerful) Li-ion.
- Pana FZ lens doesn't protrude/extend.
- Pana FZ LCD has a greater degree of movement.
- etc.

Sometimes, you can't pick which camera you like the most but you have to see which feature in which camera you just can't live with (for me, it's the battery in Pana FZ). SuperCCD or not SuperCCD may not be a problem for me. But I just don't like Li-ion batt although I really want the true IS. I prefer AA size batt and 28mm wide angle. If Pana FZ uses AA size batt, there's a chance I'm still wondering myself right now. And I would have lost the chance to take many pictures.

But then again, no camera is perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love my S9600 (although I'm still struggling on how to get a great shot of the tiny moon) but sometimes I wish it had a true image stabilizer (when i wasshooting indoor music concert with very low light which required ISO 800 and 1/6 second at largest aperture without tripod).

Well, since you're in Fuji forum, than i'll say "S9600 is better" but if you enter Pana forum, they'll say "FZ50 is better".

[line]

If only we can have superCCD + Leica lens + optical image stabilizer + CCD shift image stabilizer + 27 to 504mm f/2.0 + threaded lens + AA batt + hot shoe + excellent movie recording in a camera... we'll probably still want something more. It's human to seek perfection.
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:54 PM   #6

Wow..I'm just went back from Out-Station.

It's a very Real,Actual and Nice Fuji Lovely Friends here...Thanks for the advices and suggestion.

Ya,know the needs of ourselve and fit the needs...that's the Cam of our heart.haa..

Anyway,Thanks again for the input.

What is the concern while you choose a camera?Wide angle,IS???
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:00 PM   #7

For me the 4 keys (not in any particular order) leading me to the S9100 were :

28mm wide angle - its a huge difference!

AA batteries - instead of buying an extra overpriced special battery I get several sets of inexpensive NiMH rechargables for the same price, and if I'm out shooting and run out of those I can even put plain old alkalines in and still be shooting.

Standard hot shoe and a PC flash socket - I can use nice inexpensive flashes with thecamera, and even hook up my studio lghts to the camera. If you want to learn studio lighting the Fuji will allow it.

RAW capability - from my testing I can say itdoes make a difference vs JPEG.

Jim
AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:03 PM   #8

AutoXer,

Erm..useful...seems Image Stabilazer not really concerned you?!IS function useless...??

Wide Angle are more important ..
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:10 AM   #9

Agree with AutoXer: 28mm, AA, hot shoe + PC flash socket. I can use my Dad's 20 yr old (very dumb:G) flash.

I haven't used RAW and haven't got the time to do an experiment with it.

IS function is very useful......as long asthe object doesn't move. But when you have to freeze the object and you have to push the ISO up to 800, you'll want a better sensor, won't you?

But if you want to take pictures of buildings, statues, landmarks, friends or you can live with noise in high ISO, I'll say FZ50 is good enough. I believe most of FZ users will say thatFZ is the best. If it uses AA and superCCD, I'll want one too:G.

But then again, 28mm can cover a bunch of people in a small room. Sometimes I use my S9600 to take pictures of my friends in a cafe, so 28mm is stilla big plus. Of course you can just buy FZ50 and a wide converter, but that will cost you more.

[line]

In the end, it comes back to the man/woman behind the camera, how much he/she knows about his/her camera, and push the camera to the limit. A good photographer using $200 point n shoot camera can produce better pictures than a bad photographer using $5000 DSLR.
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:52 AM   #10

DChris...

Thanks for generous and suggestion.
Ya photographor themselve are really important and main issue.
So you own a S9600?? mind to share some of your photos here..gonna take a look on it.