Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:38 AM   #1

So I'm still worried that my new S(5)700 is having problems. I don't know if the following are valid tests but they are crops (no resizing) of photos, taken of pieces of plain photocopy paper stuck to the wall, from a few feet away. EXIF data is included. As it shows, Program AE mode, default settings with flash. The noise seems totally unacceptable to me, especially at ISO64. But maybe I'm doing something wrong or expecting too much from an inexpensive camera?

I'm hoping someone can check these ASAP because the store is getting the new cams in tomorrow and if mine is having problems, I'd like to swap it before they sell out again. If the noise is normal then so be it. I still like the camera for the majority of features. But I need to know if this is what everyone else is getting. It's not due to the low default shutter speed is it?

BTW, I'm not concerned with the white balance. That was my fault And the lines in the middle are joins in the paper - not an issue either. I noticed the noise today while getting shots of water drops in the shower with the crisp white tiles in the background. It just seemed too much noise compared to the reviews I've seen.

ISO64:

ISO100:

ISO200:

janger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:05 AM   #2

And here's a similar shot from my 3 year old Canon A610 - ISO200:

Either I'm doing something seriously wrong or my Fuji is defect. I've been looking at all the photos in several forums and wondering why I can't get the same great shots as others. Please help me. Is it a problem, the expected performance, or the person pressing the buttons (me)?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:16 AM   #3
Administrator

Try shooting something other than White and see what you get.

The white is probably fooling the metering and the camera is trying to make it 18% gray, and underexposing it (and noise is going to be worse in underexposed areas).

It doesn't know that you're shooting white tiles and assumes that most of the scene needs to be a more neutral brightness level. You'd probably see the opposite problem if you tried to shoot something all black (it may overexpose it, making the black look more gray).

Use Exposure Compensation to help adjust for metering problems if you have a scene that contains a subject that's predominately light or dark (a +EV setting will give you a brighter exposure and a -EV setting will give you a darker exposure).

Also, you've got the sharpness settings bumped up in the Fuji That tends to bring out any noise in an image.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:22 AM   #4

Hmmm. Not sure what's going on. I just checked all the sample shots in Steve's review and at dcresource again. It's like a totally different camera. Does anyone know if there are differences between the S700 and S5700 (I have the latter).
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:29 AM   #5
Administrator

Same basic camera, different model numbers (it's sold under one model number in some parts of the world and as another model number in other parts of the world).

Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:30 AM   #6
Administrator

Again, try a different scene. The white is probably reflecting too much light from the metering preflash and is fooling the metering (causing an underexposed image).

That's a common issue with many cameras (metering is easily fooled shooting something with a lot of white or a lot of black in a scene).

I'd lower your sharpening setting back to defaults, too.

Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:37 AM   #7

Jim,
Sorry, I posted before seeing your reply. Yes you're correct. I forgot I had put it on hard earlier today as some of the shots I've been studying had it set and was trying to find what difference it makes.

But I still feel there are issues. I just can't get shots like the other owners no matter how hard I try. My Canon seems to beat it in many areas, except for macro and the 10x zoom. At least for a beginner like me. Maybe I should just exchange it for a new one tomorrow and see if there's any difference.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:51 AM   #8
Administrator

I'd make sure some of the other settings aren't causing a problem, too. You'll find a RESET menu choice under the last tab of your setup menus.

Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:28 PM   #9

Yeah a system reset was the first thing I did, and have done a couple more since. The camera seems to be having trouble focusing at times, which is opposite to what the reviews say.

Also forgot to mention, the other night I was taking some indoor shots and it was hunting for focus. The lens seemed to get stuck at the end of its travel and the following shots were coming out totally black. I had to re-insert the batteries to get it to work properly again. I'm pretty sure it wasn't something I did wrong.

I do like the S700 so hopefully I can swap it today.

Thanks for your help
Dave
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:39 PM   #10
Administrator

You're not using a filter on it by any chance? If so, remove it and see how it works.