Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:12 AM   #11

Does the silver ring come off? I would think it'd be threaded to allow an adapter tube like the Canon S5is.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:22 AM   #12

The problem, if you use an adapter, do you start to get vignetting at wide angles? Will the lens cap still fit?
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:30 AM   #13

I haerd the lens cap does NOT fit and your right, there is slight distortion at wide angle which I heard can be cleared up somewhat if you order the 55mm adapter as opposed to the 52mm size. Anyone want to take the gamble and order one? Steve?
Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:47 AM   #14

Hey Barry in Dallas, that type of adapter is exactly what I was thinking of, Kudos to you.

And that adapter reaffirms my 5 thoughts.
-The adaptor can be left on the camera when turning it off.
-The original lens cap can NOT be used when using this adaptor and filters.
-Do not use with accessory lenses. (probally way too heavy)
-For use with filters only!

That SP-550UZ lens appears to similar, but unless someone measures it...

leaftye, I haven't found out how the silver ring is kept/locked in place.
If it did just unscrew, I would've already bought those adapters for the Olympus SP-560UZ
- CLA-10 Conversion Lens Adapter
- TCON-17 Tele Conversion Lens
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1316&fl=5

I'm going to have to take a trip to the nearest camera shop and see if the SP-550 has the same thread pitch and same diameter.
If the staff will let me take some measurements that is.

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:49 AM   #15

I haven't gotten to the store yet.
I'd gotten "HDD full" message on Sunday, and the new HDD I purchased yesterday has a pooched circuit board, hope to replace it today.

Meanwhile I did email NextPhoto, Fujifilm and Olympus and inquired about the nextphoto adapter, or if Olympus has something similar that'll work...

Fujifilm replied that they couldn't tell me if it'd fit, much less if it'll work with the S8000fd as it's a 3rd party adapter.

Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:44 PM   #16

Well here's a quick update on the replies.

Fujifilm reply: couldn't say if it'd fit, or work with the S8000fd (its a 3rd party product).
Olympus reply: no info on accessories working with other manufacturers cameras and,
"Our accessories are designed to be used with our cameras only."
"You are welcome to try but you do try at your own risk."
:sad: http://www.henrys.com reply: don't have an equivalent adapter or step-up ring.

:? No reply from Nextphoto yet.

:evil: Neither Fujifilm or Olympus will inform me of the dia and thread pitch of the lens threading.
:? And I must find a place that will let me us a thread pitch gauge on a SP-560.

:!: I can't swing the cash now for that Nextphoto adapter, but if one of you do then please let us all know.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:00 PM   #17

JH,
There is someone in the dpreview forum I am also a part of that said he ordered the adapter and a lot of us are eagarly waiting his review. Would any filter "fix" the purple fringing this camera gets slammed for having? BTW, all you other s8000 owners need to join http://www.dpreview.com forum, our camera is taking a big beating by non-owners in the Fuji forum. We need to support and show some great low light shots with little noise
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:56 PM   #18

Hi Barry, the low level noise I see occuring in some digital camera images reminds me of the "snow" that appears in the ol' green NODs (for 50 cal. machine guns).
When I got using "Cat's Eyes" scopes (1st gen), the name changed to distortion (or static) but it was still there, and only the technology had cleared it up somewhat.

Anyways I haven't installed the firmware yet which (as I understand) will help fix the low light problem that some are experiancing.

As things stand now, I'd say that I get 1 good picture out of 2 or 3 taken in low light levels or at night.

Heres an example of a nearly finished sunset on an overcast day across lake Simcoe.

Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:05 PM   #19

Of course the image you see is reduced about 4 times smaller.
For myself I think even with the lowlight distortions it's good enough for 4x6, and 5x7 prints.
I think even 8x10 glossy too.

As for the purple fringe, every digital camera has it.
I think I read recently it may have something to do with the glaze and shape of a lens?

Anywho I'd compared the purple fringe on other cameras that were available and in my price range by looking at the samples that Steve put up right here at steves-digicams.com so, thank you Steve.

Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:06 PM   #20

JH, Here is my attempt at a sunset, some members of DP Review are saying "Too much tree" Sheeesh, I can't move a tree that I can see from my porch and apartments next to it. Boy!!, it's rough crowd in there