Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Which?
s5700 1 14.29%
s5800 0 0%
s6500fd 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1

Hello everyone.

Been using this fantastic review site extensively in my hunt for a new camera and I've narrowed it down to Fuji Finepix S5600fd. Not a large shortlist, but this is the camera I am (was?) determined to get.

However, seconds away from the point of purchase I learn about these two other cameras, the s5700 and s5800.

I won't explain the differences here as I assume anyone who gives me advice on my options knows better than I (and I'm not well educated in camera jargon).

With only a few pounds between all three models I'm in the position to choose the one best suited to my needs, which are;

Landscapes
Night landscapes
Extreme lighting differences in the same shot
Indoor concerts for both pictures and videos

Anyone who could help me with the following questions (for any of the cameras) would also be greatly appreciated;

Can you zoom during filming of videos?
Is there any type of image stabilisation during filming?
Is there any type of image stabilisation at all?
Is there a record audio only mode?

I suspect the answers to these will pretty much be the same for each camera, in which case I'm still swaying towards the s6500 - unless anyone has reason to believe I'd be better suited to one of the other models.

Thanks for your help in advance!
circa1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:22 PM   #2

circa,

The clear choice for your intended uses is the S6500. It has a larger super-CCD sensor, 28mm wide angle for your landscapes, better lowlight shooting capabilities, manual zoom ring, etc...no comparison.

To answer your 4 questions...

1. The S6500 can zoom during video (I don't believe you can with the other two).
2. No.
3. No.
4. Not sure what you mean by this. You can add a voice memo of up to 30 seconds to an image with the S6500. If you mean you want to use it like a tape recorder, then no, you can't. Don't know if that helps you or not.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:51 PM   #3

Hi Circa,

I don't own an S6500 so can't give you any opinion on this, but I do have an S5700 for about 2 weeks so far. The S5700 can also zoom when taking video (so the video zoom all 3 models are on equal footing).

The S5800 seems to be identical to S5700 except for one more megapixel. I checked the specs prior getting my S5700 and I can hardly find any difference. Zoom levels, sensor type/size, scene modes, LCD size and resolution, dimension and weight are all the same.

The S5700 doesn't seem to have the "record voice on image" mode like S6500 (or I haven't find out about that yet), and it can't just be used as a tape recorder either.

I choose the S5700 over S6500 mainly due to budget and size/weight since there's always other things I need to carry with me (ie: phone and ipod) so reducing the total weight is important (for me that is). A less-featured camera which I bring out more often will be much more useful than a fully-loaded one that stays home.

Keiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:49 PM   #4

thank you both for your replies.

i did mean to use it as a tape recorder for question 4 - no deal breaker, just a feature i found useful once or twice in the past.

the manual zoom on the 6500 has me wetting my pants in anticipation - too many times have i missed a good shot because i can't get the zoom to stop in the right spot on my other cameras.

you make a good point about weight/dimension, Kelichi - wish i could afford them both!!

yup, 6500 for me. thanks for taking the time to put my mind at ease, rinniethehun,.
circa1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:06 PM   #5

You're welcome - good luck with your new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote