Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:17 PM   #1

So theS6500fd units are not anymore available,in Europe. Much the same in the States with the S6000fd , I assume ?

Last prices dropped last week to259 eur including tax, in Germany.

Those were real cameras, not gadget. Only 6 MPix. Beautiful smooth & detailed pictures untill 400 iso. Reasonably fast 10x lens. Starting at 28mm. Zooming using the lens ring. In manual mode, manual focus using the other lens ring. Definitelyusable at 800 iso.What do you need more ?

On top of that, there is full zoom control during videos (640 x 480 at 30 fps), there arealmost nocompression artifacts on the videos and the video results are very pleasanteven in low light. Remember a D-SLR has no video capabilities.

Back now in piture mode. Use the "6M Fine" compression setting in the "F" menu. Use the "soft" image post-processing setting in the general menu. Do not hesitate using the overcast white balance (clouds). If you find the image a little bit too soft, apply a touch of sharpening using Photoshop : you'll be amazed how the "soft" images coming from the camera do sharpen easily and beautifully without any grain and any surrounding lines, sothis is evenbetter than the sharpeningone can get if activating the "medium" or "high" sharpening in-camera. I found "high" much too high, unpleasant, but "medium" is the optimal choice if one doesn't want to get the "best of the best" using an external Photoshop post-processing.

The S6500fd hasa RAW mode but I have not taken the time to fiddle with that, knowingthe results are totally dependant from the RAW-software lab you are using and the subsequents updates.RAW mode only for fun I guess, as the"soft" internal processing plus a light external sharpening from Photoshopdid blow mealready.

Handling and ergonomics are perfect.You have there a remarkable combination of style, efficiency and reliability. And the perceived quality is amazingly high, far better than competing product costing far much.

Some reviewers found the selection mode "three images in a fast burst" a little bit difficult using thededicated button that combines with the crosspad for the selection "first" or "last". It is not an issue for me. But it may be replacedby a round-robin selection using the dedicated button only ? I bet manyusers don't even know there isa 2.2 FPS burst mode. This way, if they hit the button by accident, they will notice !

Some other reviewers don't understand the meaning of the "F" menu. Please, keep it exactly as is.I am using this menueveryday using "P" mode and selecting the ISO. This "F" menu is distinctive and really shows that Fuji is a real camera maker, with real expertize on the field.

Well done, Fuji !

I'm just a little bit sad that the S6500fd and S6000fd never got acclaimed as they should. Of course, 18 months is short, that was indeed the market life of those nice cameras.Hence, they never created any buzz.

Surely 6MPix seems a joke nowadays, but really, Fuji, if you don't lose money with the S6500fd at 259 eur retail price, surely there will be serious peopleinterested in the exact same design, with 9 MPix (at 299 eur) and 12 MPix (at 349 eur). Without mechanical stabilization. But with a SD card instead of a xD card. And if you could puta tiny VGA OLED viewer, that would be absolutely marvelous. Pleasesignificantly increasethe buffer size, hence allowing 5 images in fast burst or very short times (say 0,5 sec or even less) between single image captures. Please raise the CPU clock so the buffer can flush faster, that should not be detrimental to battery life as the newest processors may be both faster and less power-hungry.

I want the 9 Mpix and the 12 MPix successors to be the same, without any revolution.

Now, Fuji, if you want to make a hit, just add three marketing gimmicks. And you'll get a massive success. It is simple :1) try using the mechanical stabilization 2) try offering a 16:9 video mode and 3) only for the 12MPix model, try offering a 3:2 and a 16:9 cropped picture mode (I know, it looks stupid, but we are talking about gimmicks here). Do not bother with a 16:9 screen format at the back. Just keep it as is.

I very much like the "fd" concept (face detection), this is great even for serious photographers sodue to the fact thatit is absolutely reliable and fast now, it maybe part ofall the modes, and not anymore constrained to the "auto" mode. You may add a global enable for all the modes that are not "auto" and "manual focus".

A long text, but really this camera deserves a lot of respect!F30 and F31fd came as a surprise"king of pocketables" in some aspects, nowif Fuji listensthey maycreate a second surprisewith a "king of bridges" product line at 9 MPix and 12 MPix. Of course with 1/1.7 inch sensors.

I found quite amazing the the S6500fd didn't exhibit the same "too much contrasted" style of images than the F30 and F31fd, even with the S6500fd lacking any constrast setting.That is a greatjob, a truly honest attitude, but on the risky side. Fools may have preferred2 or 3 diferent settings like sharpness, contrast and gamma (that would have confused them)and the same fools would have been ready to pay 50 eur more for this ...

What makes me worrying is the unfair competition from other cameras exhibiting x18 zooms (instead of x10 for the S6000fd) at the expense of 1) not reallyfast lenses and 2) very small sensors at 1/2.5 inch that dodeliver grainy images unless bright sun (and some do deliver a grainy sky even withsun !).

Fuji, may I suggest keeping the x10 lens exactly as is, andsubcontracting ax1.75 teleconvertersold at 49 eur retailprice. The teleconverter shall have its outer face mountings the same as the one of the lens, hence allowing thesame and nice arrangements with the detachable lens hoodand the lens cap.This way, the overall compacity remains, Fujidoesn't need to invest in a x18 zoom dedicated to the 1/1.7 sensor range, and the user gets his massive x18 zoom factor.

The only reason for - maybe - opting for a D-SLR, much more expensive nowadays, especially considering the x10 zoom, is the relative frustration that may develop when viewing through the electronic viewfinder of the S6500fd. It is comfortable, hasthe correct depth,has a dioptry corrector, but itis lacking resolution and brightness. Therefore my wish about a VGA OLEDas replacement. So maybe no frustration anymore, but certainly D-SLRs have the advantage of presenting a nice and bright image in the viewfinder ... but wait a munute ... only in bright sun. Soan OLED viewfindermay beadvantageous in dim light especially if you can magnify it forsetting the focus point.You see, ultrazoom bridge-cameras are very interesting, a class that will always benefit from distinctive advantages over D-SLRs.So nowadays, even if D-SLRstend tobe equipped with a lifeview LCD at the back, today there are no D-SLRs fitted with an alternate electronic viewfinder when operating in dimmed light. Anidea for a future D-SLR from Fuji maybe.

That's all, and any more comments are welcome. The more buzz on this post, the more Fuji guys may listen !

Steph

steph_tsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:55 PM   #2

The S6000 is still available in the U.S., and the S6500 is still listed as a current model on the U.K. and the German Fujifilm web site, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. I agree that the S6000/6500 is a very good camera, but digital camera models don't last forever...and sooner or later the S6000/6500 will become extinct, as many have before and many more will follow.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:25 PM   #3

What you describe as possible successors of the 6000fd/6500fd are more or less it's predecessors S9000/9500 and S9100/9600 with most of the gimmicks you ask for and more :-). BTW, for the last 18 months I never saw such a thing as F6000fd/6500fd, but you can still buy an S6000fd/6500fd in many places at very attractive price. It's a very good digicam, but not ideal (no camera is).
regards,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:35 AM   #4

algold wrote:
Quote:
BTW, for the last 18 months I never saw such a thing as F6000fd/6500fd
Hell algold, thanks for pointing this. I just edited my post replacing F6000 by S6000 where my pen went wrong (two such occurences). I totally agree with you about the very limited commercial lifetime of digicams. But some brands manage to get a lot of buzz when pre-announced, announced, launched and tested ... and here with Fuji, we have almost no media coverage for such digicams that appear (to me, of course) asmore mature (more convincing should I write) than competition.

Let us hope Fuji is not going to drop the "big 1/1.7 sensor" 10x ultrazoom bridge range. It is a difficult arena where you may get tempted comparing D-SLRs prices (of course without a correponding lens) ... You'll be amazed how many people get trapped inmaking such false comparisons. Or they tell you "the D-SLR has the kit lens"... hence nothing to do with the ultrazoom feature. Then when you point this, they tell you "I may not need the ultrazoom feature". Crazy world ...

For marketing purposes,one can fear Fuji beingtempted by only keping the "small 1/2.5 sensor" 18x ultrazoom bridges, this in order to appear as much cheaper than a D-SLR with kit lens.

What do you think about the idea of complementing the x10 zoom with an affordable, optional x1.75 teleconverter ? Does it make sense to you ?
steph_tsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:20 AM   #5

In addition to the image stabilization you mentioned, they need to include a hot shoefor the mounting of an external flash. They already do this in other models they sell that are styled like DSLR's...why they left it off this model I have no idea, and my goodness, get away from those confounded XD cards!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:47 PM   #6

The S5000 was the greatest in my book!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:35 PM   #7

Todays POD was taken with it!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:18 PM   #8

I hope they create a camera that is as good or better than the 6000 someday, losing that camera for good would be a shame.

First post in this thread noted 'up to iso 400' but I've gotten many iso 800 pics that were really good too. Here is a 400 and an 800 pic. Fuji sure made an awesome camera with the 6000/6500

Attached Images

Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:19 PM   #9

iso 800 quite a bit after sunset so it was pretty dim out.
Attached Images

Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 8:32 AM   #10

Hi !

Yes Yes s6500/s6000 is one of the most powerful fuji cams. :GLow light performance is really good , and colors' re too great! But DR is too smal cause high in camera contrast :sad:But in macrophotography this cam is really good

See my few photos with higher iso:

1. ISO 200 no NR

2. both ISO 400 no NR

3. and last ISO 1600 :!:jpg straight from cam with NoisewareNR

Ovarally this cam is actually my best non-dslr cam :-)

If You want to see my macros taken with s6500fd visit http://fttsniper.myjalbum.net/FttSniper/

Best regards

Paweł Radziątkowski
FttSniper is offline   Reply With Quote