Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 18, 2007, 5:12 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm looking for an external flash for my S9000. I tried a few models (Nikon, Minolta, etc) - but none of them fired (?) through the shoe. Only with the synch-jack wire. Checked in the manual, and seemed to be setting it up properly - but no flash. Help!

The built-in speedlight works fine, and I have used the camera for quite some time and am very satisfied with it.

Thanks
davebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:22 PM   #2
Administrator

davebender wrote:
Quote:
Checked in the manual, and seemed to be setting it up properly - but no flash.
Just to make sure.... You changed the "External Flash" option in the menus to ON, right? It's OFF by default. It's the last choice on the second page:

But, even if you can get one to fire, you may not be able to control it's output if it's a dedicated model that's designed to communicate with a given camera brand.

Some dedicated flash models (flashes designed for a specific camera type) will still fire if they see a short from the center contact to the outside of the shoe (which is what your camera is doing).

But, some may not fire (they may need to see something from the extra pins that are proprietary to a given camera brand), and if it's not an older Auto Thyristor type dedidcated design (for example, a Sunpak 433D), or a flash that has manual power settings), you probably won't be able to control it's power output anyway (for example, some models that do fire may only work at full power if they don't see the right information from the extra pins).

If you already have the flashes, you may want to try them with the extra contacts on the flash foot taped over (leaving just the center contact exposed). From time to time, these contacts can short out in some standard shoes (versus the shoe the flash was originally designed for). So, see if they work with just the center contact exposed to rule out any extra contacts on the flash shorting out in the shoe.

If that doesn't work with any flash you want to use, I'd try a non-dedicated flash model in the shoe to make sure it works (for example, a Sunpak 383 Super or equivalent). That way, the flash isn't trying to make use of proprietary contacts in the hotshoe that your model doesn't have (the shoe on your Fuji is an ISO standard shoe designed for non-dedicated flash models that don't have extra contacts on their foot).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:23 AM   #3

Like Jim said on the external flash option. One of the things I like about my Olympus FL50 flash...if I ever did select a Fuji SLR-type digicam like this with a hot shoe, since my flash has non-TTL auto modes, it would/SHOULD work perfectly with this camera or any other I chose. I've not ever tried my flash on a camera with the only-one-pin-hot shoe, but it may be if the flash is set to TTL control, it won't fire without all the connector pins being covered, so I'd also make sure whatever flash you are mating with the camera is set to a non-TTL mode, be it Auto or Manual. The problem is, many OEM makers have deleted non-TTL auto and manual, so they ONLY work TTL or in other modes on cameras designed to be used with them, ruling out their use with any other brand camera. Canon flash units have not had the ability now for a good while and Nikon now only offers it on their most expensive SB800 flash.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:17 AM   #4

If your flash is trying to work in the TTL mode it will not produce good images with your camera. Many of the TTL flashes have an auto setting. With this setting you set a specific aperture and then you can work within a range that will be indicated on the flash guide that is usually on the back of the flash unit. Here is a link to one flash unit that I have seen recommended by other 9000/9500 owners. I have thought about purchasing one myself, but have decided that since I don't use it all that often I can get along just fine with my Quantaray 7500A that I purchased several years ago to use with my Pentax film SLR. That flash unit has a Pentax dedicated module on it. But it also has one setting that is simply "Auto." It works fine with my 9000.

http://www.amazon.com/SunPak-383-Sun...824&sr=8-1
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:36 PM   #5

Been using the Sunpack 383 with my Fuji for 4 months. Maybe used it for 600 shots and it works really well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Just care an extra set of rechargeable AAs for it

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:47 PM   #6

Hey,

Thanks to all of you out there, who offered good, thoughtful advice about this (flash). In the end, I did go out and get a simple, wired flash - now I just have to get out there and shoot!

When in get the cash, I'll upgrade to a "real" DSLR/flash/lenses setup - but this'll work for the time being: http://flickr.com/photos/davebender/

Also, great to see how many readers actually care enough to take a few moments to reply to the query, showing how worthwhile this site really is.

D
davebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:05 PM   #7
Administrator

We have a pretty friendly community here from my perspective. So, you'll usually find someone willing to share their experience on what works best.

Make sure to post some photos using your new flash setup. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote