Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:01 PM   #1

Help please.

Being almost totally new to external flash use, I need some help on how to use a Sunpac 383 Flash on my S9100.

Does anyone out there use this set-up ? My understanding is it works real well as a non dedicated unit on the S9100.

I think I have figured out the Manual workings ? but cannot seem to get it to work right set on Auto. The Finepix Manual states to hold a piece of white paper in front of lens to get the correct ISO. I did this several times in custom flash settings and still cannot get the flash to fire. The camera seems to stay on ISO 400 !!!!

Would someone out there in flash tech land please advise me the correct step by step procedures.

Right now I am having a major senior moment trying to get it to work.

Many Thanks, RAG.
ragfuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2

1. Make sure you have gone into the menus and selected external flash and switched it to "On."
2. Set your camera to manual exposure, shutter speed approximately 1/200 sec..
3. Set the aperture to 5.6 as a starting point.
4. Turn on the flash, take a picture, evaluate the results, make adjustments, try again.

Using 1/200 is just a suggestion. You can use any shutter speed up to about 1/1000. The only thing that will make a difference in the exposure will be the amount of ambient light that will affect the exposure.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:31 AM   #3

jphess.

Thanks for the info.

Yes I did all this and seemed to be doing ok with some indoor test shots last night, even in almost complete darkness with Camera M setting. Flash on Green A setting.

I can't seem to get it to work using the Camera P setting.

I tried different settings, however didn't notice too much difference just changing the shutter speeds. I ended up leaving it at 1000.

The only thing still confusing me is the Finepix Owners Manual states using a Sync Cord.
Why do I need to use this cord. I tried it with the cord and can't figure out what difference it makes. Any ideas ?

It even states in the Finepix Owners Manual that a sync cord is a requirement for any external flash used with the S9100.

I have to take shots of a bunch of kids at a Halloween Party in a large building with Fluorescent lights. Some will be tight shots, others probably out to the limits of the flash and a few in darkness. I don't want to screw up !!!

Thanks for the help. RAG.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4

The reason the P mode isn't going to work very well is because the camera is choosing both the aperture and the shutter speed. Unless you can use the command dial to alter the P mode to give you the proper aperture, you will never get the right exposure. If you are shooting outside during the day and want to use flash fill you can use the A mode and set the aperture so that it is within the range of the flash. But for indoor shots I think you will find the M mode will give you the most consistent results.

The only time a sync cord is required is when you are going to use a flash that is not attached to your camera's hot shoe. I don't have the 9100, and haven't looked at the manual for my 9000 for quite a while. But I think you have either misinterpreted the manual or else it is another instance of bad translation or poor writing.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:58 PM   #5

jphess.

Thanks for you help.

RG.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:34 PM   #6

I use the sunpack 383 on my Fuji S-9100. One thing is that most of the time I grab the flash it is totallly dark and I don;t have time to ste all the controls on the flash so I just shoot it (the flash)set in Auto mode...... Also try the various strentch settings. Sometimes 1/8 or even 1/16 is all the flash I need.

One other tip if it doesn't fire and you know its turned on and the orange ready light is on make sure you are not set in auto or natural light mode as it will not fire.

Great flash choose I have been using it for 4 months and it really improves my Fuji pictures.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote