Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:19 AM   #1

Fuji FinePix S9600 or Fuji FinePix S6500?

For the past 2 years I have been using a F610 which is now on its way out, controls only work when they feel like it.
But I have really enjoyed this camera, it has taken some really nice photos.
I'm going to stick with Fuji but would like move up to something like the above.

The 9600 is available for £205 delivered and the 6500 for £160 delivered.

The money is not an issue, I would just like to buy the better camera.
The only point I have noticed is the 9600 can accept a bulb release which could be handy for self takes when fishing.

I have a young family and use my camera a lot so dont want to make a mistake.

Any input would be really valued!

Thanks in advance
Steve

butcherbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2007, 4:21 PM   #2

Anybody? Please :-)

Steve
Old Nov 11, 2007, 5:20 PM   #3

Steve,

The 9600 not only has a threaded shutter release, but it also has a hotshoe for an external flash. (something to consider). The S6500's built-in flash is more powerful.

Both cameras share an identical lens and therefore have identical shutter range, aperture range, etc. They're both around the same size, and both use AA batteries.

The S6500 has better high ISO performance, a larger LCD, face detection, and faster continuous drive.

The S9600 has more MP, a slightly larger sensor, and the ability to use CF cards.

Tough choice - I guess it depends on what features are more important to you.

I chose the S6000 (same as S6500), based on the 4 features I listed previously. The hotshoe would have been sweet, but it wasn't an option. The flash on the S6000 is more than adequate, however it can't bounce, and it does rely on the camera's batteries for power. I didn't feel the need for 9 MP, as I rarely make large prints.

Good luck with your choice, Steve. Let us know which way you go.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:04 AM   #4

9600 has larger sensor, physically. actuallyone pixel in 6500'sensor is larger than onepixel in 9600's sensor. that's why 6500 performs better in low light IMHO.

6500's lcd is larger (by 0.5 in.) but you can swing 9600's lcd up to 90 degrees up and 45 degrees down. you can take pictures over the head or below waist level easier with 9600.

i have 9600: threaded shutter release, flash sync, hot-shoe, CF slot, swing 2 in. lcd. i don't use those extra features a lot but it's nice to have them there, just in case i need them.

if you take self-pictures a lot than you'll probably want 9600. but if you go with 6500, perhaps you can use the timer instead

they're both BIG cameras (i think 6500 is slightly larger) unlike the smaller A, E, F, or Zseries.
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:12 AM   #5

DChris wrote:
Quote:
i have 9600: threaded shutter release, flash sync, hot-shoe, CF slot, swing 2 in. lcd. i don't use those extra features a lot but it's nice to have them there, just in case i need them.
I use these two a lot. I'll use the hot shoe more as I gain photography skills. I'm considering getting a remote shutter release for additional flexibility in macro shots.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:52 PM   #6

I use the swing LCD and the hot-shoe of my s9600 a lot. External Flash is very important for me. But s6500 felt better in my hands, and image quality is slightly better. On the other hand, I do a lot of cropping and 9MP give you more possibillities to crop.

If you don't want to use an external flash and/or crop a lot: go for s6500.
StefH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:54 PM   #7

Many thanks to all that have taken the time out to reply.

I think I'm going to go with the s9600.

Thanks
Steve
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:34 AM   #8

Have now got a s9600. And I'm very pleased with it.
The detail in the highest quality setting is superb.
Also being able to zoom whilst using video mode is first for me.
And it feels and looks like a proper camera.

Has anybody got an experience of using a flashgun with this camera?
Is a dedicated flash available? If not how is best to use it with the s9600?
Totally manual?

Steve
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:29 PM   #9

butcherbob wrote:
Quote:
Have now got a s9600. And I'm very pleased with it.
The detail in the highest quality setting is superb.
Also being able to zoom whilst using video mode is first for me.
And it feels and looks like a proper camera.

Has anybody got an experience of using a flashgun with this camera?
Is a dedicated flash available? If not how is best to use it with the s9600?
Totally manual?

Steve

Congratulations and welcome to the small but happy group of S9600 users :-)

I do really like this camera, but there are some things, that could be better. One point is the lack of TTL for an external flash.

I think youcan use every flash that works in auto or fully manual mode. In auto-mode you select a stop at the flash (it is useful to have 3 or more stops) and the same stop at your camera and the flash adjusts the flash-power itself. Sometimes you have to adjust the stop, e.g. if taking a picture of a person in front of a white wall, etc.

I always use the camera in M-Mode, select a stop (normally 5.6) and a shutterspeed 1/100 or faster (you can even take 1/4000, as there is no mechanical shutter, as in a DSLR). I select the same stop at the flash. Sometimes you have to take a second shot with an adjusted setting (open or close the camera's stop a bit), but you'll get used to the usualadjustments (for example the white wall I mentioned above)

If I want something like the "slow" setting for the internal flash, I turn the wheel and take a shutterspeed like 1/10 or 1/3. (Using A-Mode would be about the same, you can use this as fill in, too)

I did not really try to use fully manual mode. With some experience you might get even better results using it. You should have a flash that let's you adjust the power of the flash in several steps, e.g. full power; 1/2; 1/4; 1/16;

The good news is, that you can get very, very cheap used flashes that work with s9600. Buying two would be a possibillity, you can use them together. One at the hot-shoe and one with a sync-cable.

I think S9600 (search also for s9100) and flash is a topic you'll find some threads about in this and other forums, if you're interested in it.

But: Don't spend to much time in this forum: Got out and use your camera :-)

StefH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:56 PM   #10

Thanks for a really helpful reply.

I've been looking on Ebay, loads to go at.:-)
I've also got 3 sets of re-chargeable batterys and 1gig CF card today.
Just need a nice bright day to really go for it!

Once again thanks.

Steve