Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 26, 2002, 4:24 PM   #11
NHL

SM or CF, they all came from the same oven!

SM are just raw memory die whereas as CF has an ATA controller chip attached. You'll have production corner lot case in both type...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 3:38 PM   #12

lexar- designs there own controller
sandisk- designs their controller
delkin- uses uses a toshiba controller
simpletech- uses a hitachi controller
ritek-?
transcend-?
microdrive- ibm controller

these make the speed

yes you are correct there is no fab. they put the jobs out to contract fab/foundries. they each control their own level of QA/QC. so you could say the ones that don't make first cut have the possibility of making it to the street under an assumed name.

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by sjms]

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 4:48 AM   #13
NHL

Doing some research, I see. So close... yet so far:

http://semiconductor.hitachi.com/tech_partner.html. September/October 2001 (page 1 and 9)

Code:
[i]The cards tested were marketed by Lexar Media, Sandisk, SimpleTech, Delkin Devices, Kingston, Microtech, Synchrotech and Hitachi. Of these eight suppliers, six---SimpleTech, Delkin, Kingston, Microtech,Synchrotech and, of course Hitachi---use Hitachi chipsets in their CF cards.[/i]

I already hinted on previous post that Lexar OEMed their flash from Toshiba. One can already guess who Sandisk has entered into cross-licensing agreement with. IE, I hold the patent on CF, and you know how to make low-cost chips, let's get in bed together! (this is why Sandisk also sell SmartMedia and raw memory chips, but is so far removed from the whole process...)

[Edited on 7-28-2002 by NHL]

A previous patent cross-licensing agreement between Samsung and SanDisk expired this month.

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:10 PM   #14

I did some futher tests yesterday night, and the video mode (I used VGA) did not cause any probleme on my no-name 256Mo CF card.
Recording was fine, reading for the camera was fine, and I now have the video on my hard disk.
One point however: the video files genreated are really big. Do not plan to send them by mail...
I'll try to find a avi editor to resize-compress the video for an internet use.

I tried to find more information concerning the no-name of my CF, but I bought it on eBay and didn't identify the group behind it.
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:07 AM   #15

Yes want you need is a avi mpeg encoder.
such as the free TMPGenc

It compresses some of my 1gig plus avi files down to less than 200meg with hardly any loss. (Digital Camcorder obviously) lol

These encoders really do a excellent job of compressing the Avi's . I then burn them with Nero to make a VCD cdrom.
sollyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 7:24 PM   #16

I've tried to compress AVI files of S602 with TMPGenc Version 2.57 but it doesn't work,
any one can tell me way?
Thanks

[Edited on 28-8-2002 by Leiz]
Leiz is offline   Reply With Quote