Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 23, 2002, 2:34 PM   #1

Default S602 and CF compatibility?

Hi,
I just bought the S602 and ordered a CF card with it (128MB).
However, I was told that the camera accepts either the IBM microdrive or Smart media, but NOT compact flash.
Is this true??
I would very much appreciate a quick reply.
Thanks!
arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2002, 3:16 PM   #2

On the S602 user guide booklet, Fuji wrote about Microdrive and SM cards, but does not say much about CF cards. If I remember well, it's wrote "Some CF card may not work with S602, check with manufacturer". I tried to find some specifications (Voltage or I don't what to do the difference between a "good" CF and a "bad" CF) but I did not find anything in the user guide.
I'm interrested to have the answer published if you find something.
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 4:30 PM   #3

Default update

Here's some new info...
I just called Fuji technical support. The guy said that I'm going to have a problem if I want to playback films taken with the S602 (read error), because the CF isn't fast enough (it needs a read speed of at least 1000k/sec). He said that other functions should not be affected, though, and playback on the computer should work well, too.
However, he really didn't sound very convincing, so I'm still not sure. :-/

[Edited on 7-23-2002 by arutha]
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:36 PM   #4
NHL

I think somebody is giving you the run-around. Microdrive is CF-II, an extension of the flash's CF-I standard (CF stand for Compact Flash type 1). For picture taking CF flash card would do just fine... May be what they are referring too is the faster rated device (x24) for the movie/video mode that this camera is capable of to prevent jerking action, but I doubt that.

Smarmedia accesses are usually much slower anyway because the firmware in the camera has to emulate a disk drive type of transfer, and if this work any CF flash should have worked just as fine!!!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=458

[Edited on 7-24-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:44 PM   #5

now we all know there are some lesser known brands of cf cards out there that might skirt the truth on the compatiblity issue. i could name a few. the support personel are not going to put their necks out and say another brand name will work. by claiming their brand card is the one they suggest it keeps them out of the murky litigation pool. any good brand name such as lexar delkin sandisk should work and will transfer data at more than the minimum rate required yes NHL even a microdrive too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 2:25 AM   #6

Thank you all - You've been very helpful!
I guess i'll stay with the CF and hope for the better.
I'll keep you updated when my camera arrives (in 10 days!!)
Old Jul 25, 2002, 6:51 PM   #7

I did the test, and the S602 does work with a 256Mo no-name CF card.(CF type 1)
I did not try the video mode yet, but at least the photo mode works well.

[Edited on 2002-7-25 by noctem]
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 3:33 AM   #8

Thanks noctem!
I called Fuji again because the last guy I spoke to wasn't too sure of himself.
This time they told me something different - They said it should work fine when taking stills, but when recording video it will freeze every 2 seconds or so and then continue, supposedly because the CF isn't fast enough (unless you use a x16 CF).
I asked whether this will always happen or just sometimes or in certain cameras, and he said always!
If anyone could test it and see whether this is true or not I would appreciate it.

Also, in case the CF-I does work on the S602, will I need an adapter for it or does it fit directly into the slot?
Thanks!

[Edited on 7-26-2002 by arutha]
Old Jul 26, 2002, 5:19 AM   #9
NHL

arutha

Isn't that what I posted previously regarding the movie mode (ie jerking action...)?

No adapter is needed: CF flash is CF-I, both the microdrive (ie a CF-II) and all the flashes will plug right in!

BTW, this is a fact (before somebody promote one brand over another):
Nobody makes their own flash (Sandisk, Lexar, Delkin, Mr. no name...etc). All theses vendors are fabless! Only two Japanese (beside Sony) and one huge Korean conglomerates produce this kind of 'NAND' flash (among other semiconductors) and OEMed them to everyone including putting on their respective private label! The difference is with the more familiar brands, theses 'vendors' screen their lots for both speed rating and rejects before retail packaging and hence can offer a warranty... Whereas the underdogs skip a few QA steps to achieve a lower cost and are sold, and replace as necessary. Just different marketing tactics... ie if a generic brand doesn't work return it and try again for a good one (you're the screener). If it works however, their quality is probably as good as any !!!

This is why some users have problem while other don't from the same generic brand...

[Edited on 7-26-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 2:50 PM   #10

Default Getting 128 card for s602. SM or CF?

On reading that CF may allegedly have occasional possible probs. If you were buying just a 128 card would you go for the SM card or CF.

Is the SM card the safer bet?
sollyjo is offline   Reply With Quote