Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:16 AM   #11

I think Fuji should buy it for you, with the condition that you do a review on it. Seeing as how they're saying they've been getting lots of inquires about an adapter, they should help you alleviate the concerns of their potential customers. It can't hurt to ask for a freebie can it?
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:23 PM   #12

Well my PC has been more or less dead to the world for about two weeks now.
:G (I'm sure your all in the same boat; too many Christmas parties, too little time.) :?
Thankfully I was a PC tech for a number of years...
I'm now looking at this forum with a wide screen LCD and some other major changes too.

Well, it all boils down to me not yet ordering the nextphoto filter adapter...

:idea: But I do have an idea for different type of adapter that attaches in a safe and different manner then the nextphoto one.
Sadly, Fujifilm has not replied at all to any of my communications with them over this idea.

I'd like to have this adapter concept made but I know this type of R&D will be too expensive.

I noticed the otherday that JASC PSP7 (not the Corel version either...) it has quite a few digital photo touch-up tools like vignetting removal.

Well, I thought I'd post this before I carried on with reinstalling more software, instead of leaving everyone hanging.

PS I never told anyone that I was coherent or even moderately sane, I just felt you'd like a brief FYI and so...

Meanwhile if anyone has owns, tried, or has ordered, the nextphoto adapter, please keep us posted.

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:35 PM   #13

Ok so it's been a few years since I've done any kind of proto-typing...

Finally, I have a basic adapter that fully protects the telescoping mechanism.
The MAJOR shortfall is that to fully use the wide angle I'm looking at using 86mm filters/lenses minimum.
Of course 92mm or 96mm would be best, but the lack of variety and then their prices, whoa!

As things stand 86mm are expensive, and in Canada 4 or 5 good ones will be more than the camera was worth, and that's before taxes!!!

Meanwhile, I've discovered that the Fujinon lens assembly seems to focus in ways that the cheaper point and shoot cameras do not.
For example I could use my 3.5x diopter magnifying lens (with/without lamp) to really enlarge things like a stamp, but not so with this Fujifilm S8000fd. It actually makes things smaller with that 3.5x lens.
But it is a standard style (convex/convex) lens ()
I wonder if a convex/concave lens would work? ((
Or if I'll need to resort to a concave/concave lens to increase the magnification? )(

Eitherway the large diameter filters are a very expensive deterrent for me to continue with these adapter experiments. As a result those NextPhoto filter adapters are looking like the best solution, even though no one else is (trying them out) stepping up to the plate...

It may now be several months before I can try the NextPhoto adapters.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:45 PM   #14

And a quick side note to Leaftye's concept.
Neither Fujinon or NextPhoto will even respond to me (to do a review on it).
And this past week neither Fujinon or NextPhoto will respond to my offer of a new lens & filter adapter design.

My conclusion is
- NextPhoto couldn't care less about making some money from Fujifilm owners.
- And Fuji doesn't seem to care about it's customers or possibly making money...

If Fuji or NextPhoto wish to dispute my perspective, then they can reply to my emails.

If anyone else can think of a company that may wish to pickup a new adapter design let me know. True it'll be for 86mm lenses & filters at the smallest... (Shrug)

Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:07 PM   #15

Sorry about being late with this but the adapter does NOT work, someone from dpreview's Fuji forum tried it out and and gave us the sad news, looks like ole Bernie from Nextphoto scammed someone but good, makes you wonder if it even works on the similar Olympus model. Now I heard there might a wireless flash coming out for the s8000. Sounds like another scam in the works, I'm not buying into this rumor for one second. Thanks JH for all your homework.
Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:15 PM   #16

The post from the other forum and how to make your own adapter. haven't tried it yet
----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what happened to my post on this from back about a month ago.... it must not have saved or something.

But...... the adapter doesn't work. It gives some slight corner vignetting because it doesn't actually screw all the way flush into the lens like on the Oly. I've sent mine back and Bernie was going to look into possible modification for fitting it to the S8000fd. I've not heard from him on a yes or no for the changes or for the refund. So not sure what any future possibilities are at this point.
I ended up using my homemade filter adapter for the trip and it worked fine.

Take a 40mm push on lens cap and cut out the center. Place this inside the open area of a 46mm-52mm step up ring(or a 46mm-55mm etc, but nothing smaller than the 46-52mm). Push this together with the 46mm side of the step up ring into a level surface(making the cap ring and step up flush at the bottom. helps to make sure no vignetting). Glue the edge of the cap ring into the stepup(I just used crazy glue gel). Let this dry and afterwards you have a 52mm filter adapter that slides right onto the end of your lens (with the camera on).

You'll have to watch for auto power down etc as this will cause the adapter to slip off of the lens as it goes back in. I just put it on to use and then take it off when previewing etc.

I'll post pictures of it tomorrow. Running some conversions right now on my computer and can only do simple things(cpu wise) like this right now(aka... no uploading).

JH2007 wrote:
Quote:
And a quick side note to Leaftye's concept.
Neither Fujinon or NextPhoto will even respond to me (to do a review on it).
And this past week neither Fujinon or NextPhoto will respond to my offer of a new lens & filter adapter design.

My conclusion is
- NextPhoto couldn't care less about making some money from Fujifilm owners.
- And Fuji doesn't seem to care about it's customers or possibly making money...

If Fuji or NextPhoto wish to dispute my perspective, then they can reply to my emails.

If anyone else can think of a company that may wish to pickup a new adapter design let me know. True it'll be for 86mm lenses & filters at the smallest... (Shrug)

Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:04 PM   #17

Is there anyway to change the subject of the post from:
"S8000fd: Yes there is an adapter that will screw onto front."
To:
"S8000fd: No! there's no off the shelf lens adapters for it!"

See, I've been communicating with Fujifilm in Japan for info about the lens adapters.
What it appears to boil down to is that Fujifilm will now ignore S8000fd owner's requests for adapters.

Since all my requests about such an adapter were ignored, plus...
I learned the following; because I'd asked whom to open a dialog with Fujifilm Japan to send them plans/info/etc for a lens adapter.

Here's the response to my emails:

I'd asked who to contact about opening a dialog on a new lens adapter design and concept. And I even stated I'd fully release all rights/designs/etc to Fujifilm.

[align=left]Thank you for your kind proposal.
But, under current situation, we do not have any intention to introduce adapter ring for S8000fd.
[/align]
Can you clarify what is the "current situation"? :?

As we cannot assure the product liability, FUJIFILM cannot introduce your product it under the name of FUJIFILM.
For checking quality assurance, many test will be required and the total cost may be expensive than our expectation.

Then, under this situation, we do not need it from you.

No one at Fujifilm Japan even asked to see the plans or for a copy of my information... how could they have any expectations!?.
Their knee-jerk reaction to the words S8000fd and lens adapter is a little upsetting.

And I noticed the similar cameras (SLR-like) from other companies often include (or at least offer to sell) such adapters, and remotes too.

I'm not too happy with the Fujifilm headoffice policies for the past few years, and I'm afraid that this will be the last Fujifilm camera I buy for home or at work.

Well, I just thought I'd let you all know what I've learned. No lens adapters for S8000fd.

Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:26 PM   #18

JH,
What shame that Fuji would answer you with such an attitude about this issue. They are the one who dropped the ball before they released the camera. I'm sure they will come out with with an s8100 model with some kind of filter set up and make US pay for their mistake by wanting us to buy another model. I'm with you, might switch brands AFTER I get my rebate check. LOL

Barry
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:18 PM   #19

Just 4 days after my last post in this topic...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...8100fd_pr.html

Yep, its the 10Mp S8100fd, and nope still no accessories. :evil:

So I started a topic that compares the specs, it has a poll about the accessories too:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16

And coincidentally I received this email from Fujifilm Japan on the 24th too...

I am very sorry no response has been sent for long period.

Though I can understand your idea can be one of the accessory for S8000fd, we have no intention to introduce this adapter at this moment.

Even if we have some intention, it is very difficult to work with you due to our own reason.
Please understand our decision.

If we will have some necessity in the future, there may be some possibility to contact with you....

They still have not asked for photos, blueprints, or documents of any kind...

Well. I'm done contacting Japan.

So check out the specs comparsion:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16

Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:09 PM   #20

Pardon this,but this excuse seems to be the biggest load of B S I've heard in a long time. I've also seen the s8100, the changes aren't anything special and I doubt that Fuji would offer a firmware update to convert our current s8000 to an s8100 even though it would be possible to do so. JH, I van hear the frustration in your mind I feel it too.

Barry