Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:36 PM   #1

I have been using my new Fuji S8000fd and am trying to learn everything about it..have read the manual twice!! I find however, that the flash is slow to recover and causes a delay of a few seconds when waiting to shoot again..anyone else had this problem?
richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:31 PM   #2
Administrator

That sounds normal.

Steve hasn't reviewed the S8000fd yet. But, he clocked recycle times of 2.5 to 7 seconds using a flash with the S6000fd, depending on distance to subject.

You'll find cycle times between photos with and without flash discussed in each model's review conclusion section here (last page before the sample images in Steve's reviews).

Distance to subjectwill cause flash recycle time to vary, because the closer you are to a subject, the shorter the flash burst can be for proper exposure (so, the recycle time is faster since the capacitor isn't fully discharged). Some models also have more powerful flash compared to others.

ISO speed also impacts it (because a shorter flash burst can be used at higher ISO speeds). Lens brightness also impacts it, and with the majority of camera models, lenses lose light as you zoom in more (so a longer flash burst is needed to illuminate a subject if you are zooming in much).

Battery type also influences it. As a general rule, models using smaller batteries (or 2 AA batteries versus 4 AA batteries) are going to take longer to recycle when everything else is equal between models (and it rarely is).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3

s8000 uses 4 AA batteries, is that right? It should recharge the flash more quickly than cameras using only 2 AAs, as s6500/6000.

With my S9600 (4 AA) I noticed that itvery much depends on the type of NiMH used. Take high-quality NiMH and a good charger. The temperature of the batteries is very important, too. The colder it gets, the more problems you will get. If shooting in a cold environment keep batteries in your pocket and change them from time to time.

I set the flash on -1/3 as default (I don't know, if this is possible with s8000). The pictures get a better exposure (IMHO) and you need less flash-power (=less recovery time).

Don't use auto-mode, but A (aparture). Choose the smallest aparture available = the flash will need less power.

StefH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4

StefH wrote:
Quote:
s8000 uses 4 AA batteries, is that right? It should recharge the flash more quickly than cameras using only 2 AAs, as s6500/6000.

With my S9600 (4 AA) I noticed that itvery much depends on the type of NiMH used. Take high-quality NiMH and a good charger. The temperature of the batteries is very important, too. The colder it gets, the more problems you will get. If shooting in a cold environment keep batteries in your pocket and change them from time to time.

I set the flash on -1/3 as default (I don't know, if this is possible with s8000). The pictures get a better exposure (IMHO) and you need less flash-power (=less recovery time).

Don't use auto-mode, but A (aparture). Choose the smallest aparture available = the flash will need less power.

those are some good tips..thanks man!!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:59 AM   #5
Administrator

StefH wrote:
Quote:
The auto exposure algorithms in most modern digital cameras are going to choose the largest available aperture (represented by smaller f/stop numbers) anyway when light is low enough to use a flash, unless you're using one for fill outdoors in daylight.

Richyrich:

You may want to try Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloops

I read a post yesterday from someone claiming to get flash recharge times 2 to 3 times faster than he got with higher capacity (for example, 2700mAh) NiMH batteries, testing 2000mAh Eneloops against two different types of higher capacity NiMH batteries.

Apparently, the new Eneloop batteries have lower internal resistance compared to typical NiMH batteries, which allows for faster recharge times with a flash (more current can be pulled faster over a short period of time).

That was with an external flash model. So, I don't know if the results would be as dramatic with your Fuji's built in flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:23 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
StefH wrote:
Quote:
The auto exposure algorithms in most modern digital cameras are going to choose the largest available aperture (represented by smaller f/stop numbers) anyway when light is low enough to use a flash, unless you're using one for fill outdoors in daylight.

Richyrich:

You may want to try Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloops

I read a post yesterday from someone claiming to get flash recharge times 2 to 3 times faster than he got with higher capacity (for example, 2700mAh) NiMH batteries, testing 2000mAh Eneloops against two different types of higher capacity NiMH batteries.

Apparently, the new Eneloop batteries have lower internal resistance compared to typical NiMH batteries, which allows for faster recharge times with a flash (more current can be pulled faster over a short period of time).

That was with an external flash model. So, I don't know if the results would be as dramatic with your Fuji's built in flash.
Man you guys are a fountain of info! I will see if I can get those locally. I am using 2500Mah ones right now..they are the strongest I could find locally (in Canada).
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:31 PM   #7

On my S-9100 when I use the built in flash it takes 5 to 6 seconds to recharge with 2700mha batteries in the camera. The external hotshoew flash (sunpack 383 takes 7 to 8 seconds).

what you speak of seems normal. The only advice i could give you to spead up your flash and that is if your using a hotshoe flash is to get a dedicated power pack that goes on your belt to use with the flash. They can get very expensve buy the D-SLR guys I have shot football games with swear by them

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote