Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:30 PM   #1

I had to send in my brand new s8000fd b/c it was not locking in a focus, nor was the manual focus feature working. I had been very disappointed in the shots so far..blurry, grainy and not great in general. I was shooting in 8F quality mode and tried musltiple different settings to test it out. Not impressed so far..hoping they can fix it! We'll see how they do.
richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:46 PM   #2

Can you post of couple of shots richy? Curious to see what they look like.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:40 PM   #3

Sorry for the delay!! Here are a few from different times and lighting conditions. It seems that the colour is not right on the one with the cupcake and the others seem grainy. The manual focus feature was not working at all. Are higher MP cameras bigger pigs for light?

Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:30 AM   #4

The first problem I see is that you have the camera in 'Action' mode, which apparently jacks up the ISO to allow a faster shutter speed when shooting action shots. The first and second picture were taken at ISO 800 and the third at ISO 1600 - way too much for closeups when using a flash...that's why you are seeing grain. Try putting the camera in 'P' mode, and manually set the ISO 64 or 100 (keep in mind that as your subject distance increases, so does the effectivity of the flash). If your subject is fairly far away, I would increase the ISO to 200 or 400, but no more than that. You won't see any grain, then.

Regarding the manual focus, you have to set the camera to manual focus. I don't think you can do that when the camera is set to 'Action' or any other specialty shooting mode - consult your manual.

Regarding the autofocus not locking in, I don't really think the shots you posted are out of focus, they just look that way because of the grain. Did the camera make the double beep sound when you took the shots? The camera said it did...

I give up - where's the cupcake?

One more thing...could you please stop using the yellow font - I can hardly read your posts.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:33 PM   #5

No problem on the yellow font...thanks for replying!! The cupcake shot wasn't used after all..sorry. The manual focus was attempted following the manual step by step and it would not work at all. The autofocus would double beep but it would go from in focus to out when the double beep was done. I tried focusing on a number of things at different distances. I am a real geek when it comes to reading manuals. I read it 3 times to make sure I wasn't the problem. When I get it back from Fuji, I will follow your advice about the ISO settings..thanks for that.