Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:21 PM   #11

please
Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:28 PM   #12

on the way...................
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:56 AM   #13

Veedee,

I am sorry, but it seems that I mistakenly left out in my previous post that about 90% of the pictures I took were shot using the AUTO-setup, and zoom ranging from non to x10, I never used digital zoom.

I sent some pictures to Majestic Twelve, as requested. I do not have space to upload them to, perhaps he could give his opinion on them.

I did not resize my pictures, hence I do not know if the quality of the pics is raised doing so. I did take som epictures in 1 MP and 2 MP, but ended up not liking the quality of them.

I also printed out 2 pictures taken in 3 MP in a size of 10 x 15 centimetres, but the quality of them does not meet my expectations completely (and I am taking into account that my printer is not the best in the world).

Then again, I may be a bit too demanding. I have seen 3 MP cameras produce better pictures, and that was the main reason for me to return it. I am well aware of the fact that this camera may have been a bit too extensive with its features for me to comprehend, so I will be getting a real beginner camera like the Canon A70/A80 soon.
Melvin V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 4:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin V
[...]
I did not resize my pictures, hence I do not know if the quality of the pics is raised doing so. I did take som epictures in 1 MP and 2 MP, but ended up not liking the quality of them.
Wow, man, you must be really picky on quality then. Trust me I had the A40 and A60/A70/A80 is the same quality. You will not be satisfied by it either. I can only recommand you get a DSLR such as Canon Digital Rebel.

Quote:
I also printed out 2 pictures taken in 3 MP in a size of 10 x 15 centimetres, but the quality of them does not meet my expectations completely (and I am taking into account that my printer is not the best in the world).
Try taking the pictures to a professional photo-shop. The results will be completely different. Also, you might try to set the in-camera sharpeing set to Soft. I myself do that, and like the results better.

Quote:
Then again, I may be a bit too demanding. I have seen 3 MP cameras produce better pictures, and that was the main reason for me to return it. I am well aware of the fact that this camera may have been a bit too extensive with its features for me to comprehend, so I will be getting a real beginner camera like the Canon A70/A80 soon.
Spending the same amount of money on A80 with less features... Hmm, ok, it's your money man Btw, what 3Mp cameras produce better pictures? I saw a lot of reviews and tested more 3Mp cameras and I haven't found one as good as S5000. Of course, I'm thinking the same JPEG level compression. Cause that's the only weak spot of S5000 as far as I can see.

PS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you. I'm just guessing you missed some things on the S5000, things which might bite you later when you discover the limitations of a camera such as Canon A70/80. Then again, if you don't need bigger optical zoom, you might be happy with it.

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:15 AM   #15

[quote="Melvin V"],

I am sorry, but it seems that I mistakenly left out in my previous post that about 90% of the pictures I took were shot using the AUTO-setup, and zoom ranging from non to x10, I never used digital zoom.

Then again, I may be a bit too demanding. I have seen 3 MP cameras produce better pictures, and that was the main reason for me to return it. quote]
I have to agree with Veedee that S5000 pic quality is good. Have printed pics on my Epson Cx3200 (multi funtion device not even a photo printer) and the come out fabulous at A4( is approx 21x29cm). Maybe you had an "off" camera. A colleque of mine got her S5000 and shot some sports pics the same day that came out sharp. (action totally frozen at full tele).
I also own a nikon3100 and regularly use a canon A70 but pics never seem to be as sharp as of S602 / S5000. I think shutterlag is a big part of the cause here.
Digifan
Fuji S602z, Nikon 3100
digifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:46 PM   #16

Default a80 compared to s5000

veedee

so you are saying the s5000 is better than the a80. By how much and where? It seems both camera have the same amount of manual settings. I am deciding to get either one. A80- more on portability and s5000 more on better flash and zoom. Could you advice?
vprtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:18 PM   #17

Default Give me a camera company that manufactures it' own parts!

The S5000 is an great camera and has some of the best componets in it....Fuji makes it's own CCD and lenses. Un-like Nikon, Olympus, and could name more who depend on OEM's to produce their cmos and ccds....Lenses...Sony depends on a German company...not bad, but lens would do better with film...
Fujinon has made the Olympics history for many years...the tv video camera may be Sony, but what you view is state of the art through Fujinon lenses...Utah...this season...was turly Fuji at it's best. Bought a phone that takes a picture?...if you bought a name brand...lenses by FUJI. Check history...Fuji was the first to put a digital camera in the consumer market...have you had a picture printed at a lab lately....Fuji is probably watermarked on the back of the print...sorry Kodak....you tried to put Polaroid out of buisness...but you are next...! Thanks Kodak for the nice check I got from Polaroid when you lost in court...still spending the money!!!
Think about it? A digital is a "video camera" capturing still images...they are ture to life and "not a film camera.."
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:40 AM   #18

Is it that much better than the S3000? (other than the zoom and the black color)

That 6mp scam with a 3mp camera doesn't make it with me either BTW!
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Is it that much better than the S3000? (other than the zoom and the black color)
Well, the s5000 has higher selecetable and usable ISO settings than the s3000, if you need that function. It'a slso faster at AF.

Quote:
That 6mp scam with a 3mp camera doesn't make it with me either BTW!
It's not really a scam. While I can't comment one every Fuji camera, the ones with the SCCD sensor must output files at twice the sensor resolution in order to reorient the informatino to a standard square layout. Downsamling the size to the 'sensor' count number will reduce the amount of collected data the sensor resolved, in this case. As far as enhanced real resoluton, the SCCD sensor layout is supposed to add further ability of the cameras to resolve more detail in practical scenes. The S5000 has not demonstrated this ove other 3MP cameras. Going by measurements AND by controlled frame tests(within 2-3% precision framing of the scenw in the sample images), and even gong as far as analyinsg the raw output images, the s5000 displayed virtually the same actual resolution as a standard 3MP camera. However, several fuji cameras have demonstrated a real and signficnat advantage, such as teh FUji S1, Fuji S2, Fuji s602 and FUji F700. It seems reasonable that the shortcoming of the S5000 in this regard may be becuase of the lens.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:27 PM   #20

Quote:
It's not really a scam.
Sorry, that, was installed on S5000 - scam. We (I am personally) were fooled by Fuji's Super CCD broshure. Super CCD IV HR have promised higher resolution only in 6 MP variant (FinePix S7000) or wider dynamic range SR variant (FinePix F700).
S5000 has worst of all - 3 MP resolution and no additional sensors (S-sensors). What making it real scum - smaller size - 1/2,7'' - that automatically tries 2 problems:

1)lowers resolution on the same lens (not mentioning making it cheaper to Fuji), specially on Fujinon Super Cheap 10x plastic zoom.

2)smaller matrix recieve less amount of light - it needs force matrix to higher sensitivity to compensate it (Have you thought, why the minimum ISO is 200?). As a result we have a lot of digital noise.

All of it together forms a detonating mixture, that blows off any posssible quality.

P.S. I forgot to mention software of Fuji. Next time.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote