Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Fuji S602 --shooting soccer games

HI

I have been using A Fuji S602 for 8 months and love this camera. I purchased it to shoot high school/club soccer games. Used it all spring with no prob. I am now shooting high school games which are all at night. Recently, pictures shot during 1st half are fine using the sport mode. It's another story for second half. Pics are either out of focus or you can see the motion. I think that while the field is well lit, I need to shoot in another mode (tried auto). When using manual mode, I cannot seem to get the hang of aperture and exposure settings.

I am also using the Oly Tcon-17 (awesome lens) which I purchased after reading all the info in the add-on lens catagory. (Thanks for the great posts!) I The problem I am having with the camera occurs with and without the tcon.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Barb
bsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 12:35 AM   #2
SSD

Hi!
Have you tried the sports setting? I used the sports setting today at my son's football game, and I got some great shots! Just turn the settings dial to SP. You will have a menu at the bottom of the LCD that has portrait, infinity, sports, nighttime and the B&W symbols. Just turn the other dial on the top of the camera until you get the sports setting. This also worked well at my kids field day, where they were moving so fast it was really hard to get a good pic in the P or Auto setting.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 7:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am using the Sport setting, which works great for 1st half of the game, then I have the prob mentioned the second half.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:27 AM   #4
SSD

Hi
I just saw in your first post where you said you used the sports setting. I was sooo tired when I read it last night and missed it. I did not mean to sound redundant, sorry!!!! :?
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 6:20 AM   #5

SSD

No apology necessary. I thought that I had excluded that info from my post! I appreciate your comments.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:59 AM   #6

Different equipment but similar situation for me...I have an Olympus 740 that I shoot alot of soccer with. I've noticed that (day or night) there are rare, but occasional shots where the autofocus adjustment prior to the shutter activating is a bit slow.

Not knowing what condition my shots are until I review them at game's end, I continue to shoot, and it corrects itself. I'd say this happens a tiny percentage of the time...but it does occur.

My sense is the autofocus lag is linked to using the high speed sequential shooting mode. I know the Fuji has this also...you may want to see if its part of the variables as well. Shoot a series of game-based single frames and see if they exhibit the same focus problems(?).

I *love* having the 10x zoom for across-the-field action though! It makes a huge difference in sports shooting. (Now if I could just get my daughter to square her hips to the goal before shooting...)

Wish I could provide solutions, my similar situation may trigger a new way to experiment with the 602. Good luck.
DavesWorldpt2 is offline   Reply With Quote