Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:08 PM   #1

I tookpictures at our office banquet with a Fuji S800 and all of the photos of the employees look like they are demon possed in the eyes. Some are not really red in color but are kind of glowing....... Also lots of glare problems with people wearing eye glasses. I used the Auto mode and the red eye reduction mode for the flash, but evidently I did something wrong.......Is there an easy fix or process for taking great portraits in low light settings?
Georgia Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 5:18 PM   #2

I don't believe you did anything wrong. The problem is that with these small cameras the flash is so close to the lens that it's difficult to prevent redeye even when using the redeye reduction feature. Your best solution will be to use your editing software to fix the problem. It is a problem that is inherent with your camera because of its small size and the relative location of the strobe.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:14 AM   #3

jphess speaks the truth. The only answer that will keep you from ever seeing redeye will be to use a camera that has a hot shoe and buying a separate flash unit. "redeye reduction" is one of the worst marketing ploys ever devised by the photo industry, going back to film point & shoots...it simply does not work. Sometimes you'll notice certain people's eyes are lessapt toshow the effect, but more times than not you'll see it. I've been seeing a few cameras these days offering redeye fix in the review mode where you can correct it before ever downloading your images to a computer. That makes more sense than subjecting someone to the double flash of redeye reduction that doesn't work anyway.You notice they don't call it "redeye elimination".... some legal guy probably told them they couldn't use that termsince it really doesn't work.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:59 PM   #4

Another thing that can, under certain circumstances, help reduce the redeye phenomenon would be to increase the ambient light in the room so that your subject's pupils are not forced to be as open as they otherwise would be. Unfortunately, it's just one of those things you will have to deal with.

Since your camera does not have accommodations for external flash, you might consider getting a couple of small slave flashes to help in situations like the one you described. The extra light from a different direction could be beneficial in reducing redeye.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:09 AM   #5

I'm using an S8000FD and also experience redeye but there's a little twist with one picture in particular. When I went to edit it using Photoshop Elements 6 the system told me that there was no redeye to fix. This is puzzling any suggestions?
coloradoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:51 PM   #6

I use photoshop elements 5.0 and you can manually click over the eye portion and then use red eye removal tool. Red eye or not it gives no error message and for every redeye photo i have used it on it works.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:30 PM   #7

Georgia Girl wrote:
Quote:
I tookpictures at our office banquet with a Fuji S800 and all of the photos of the employees look like they are demon possed in the eyes. Some are not really red in color but are kind of glowing....... Also lots of glare problems with people wearing eye glasses. I used the Auto mode and the red eye reduction mode for the flash, but evidently I did something wrong.......Is there an easy fix or process for taking great portraits in low light settings?
A freeware program for redeye correction

http://www.sharewareatlas.de/en/download/photo-toolkit/

still looking for one that corrects greeneye in animals:-)..........musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:09 AM   #8

In addition to the other solutions/comments on Red Eye I might mention that when red eye reduction in Photoshop Elements fails I have resorted to the paint brush. Even nicer sometimes is using the clone tool (assuming another person in the shot is handy) to paste a NEW eye in position. On one shot, being unable to fix the white eye of a friend's dog I simply cloned his eye to his dog (nobody noticed the difference).
fredbillie is offline   Reply With Quote