Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 15, 2007, 7:13 PM   #1

Hey all.. I'm hoping you guys would be able to shed some light on some problems I am having with my new s700

Seems like no matter what I try to shoot in lower light, it ALWAYS turns out noisy. Its like there is no sweet spot to be found!

I crank up iso, it gets noisy. I turn it down, noise is less, but shot is then too dark. If I try to PP and brighten up, woohoo we have noise and blotchyness again.
I can see that this camera is able to take nice shots outdoors where light is optimal, but are you tellin me that as soon as you go inside, quality goes down the toilet?

If so I think purchasing this camera was a mistake. even trying to take some shots of my other camera so that I can sell it was a challenge. I took the photos in my kitchen with the lights on, so there was plenty of light, and they still came out looking noisy regardless of what settings I used..

Not only that, but overall the sharpness is the photos totally sucks.With or without flash, every photo needs to be processed after the fact to even make it look tolerable. This is hugely dissappointing..

What's the deal here?? Even my Kodak Easyshare 4.1mp camera did better than this..

ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:23 PM   #2

Scooby,

If you look at the next thread in this forum, there seem to be a lot of people very happy with their 700. Why don't you post a couple of pics (with EXIF attached), so we can see what the problem is.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:13 AM   #3

This is an indoor shot, no flash. If you want better than this then lay out the money and buy a really expensive camera. As it is, this camera will give you great value for the money. Its a great learning tool since its fully auto and fully manual. Its through the lens viewing so you can compose your shot before you shoot. Its very comfortable to carry around. Im not that fussy about Fuji but I would buy this camera again.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:19 AM   #4

I'm actually rather impressed. I bought it yesterday to replace my dieing sony cyber shot (my 3rd cybershot to die, I swear, I will never own another!) and have since taken about 200 pictures with it.

The settings, really allowed a variety of movement and play with any composition I would like. It did take a bit of getting used to. While there is alot more noise than I am used to, I try and adjust the shutter and the apperature and the exposure before changing my iso.

I find it keeps the noise down. Heres just a quick shot I took today with the dog, slightly sharpened in PP
Attached Images

tsblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:14 AM   #5

Hi

I have grain problem with fujifilm finepix5700.

The flash seems not to be sufficient. Indoor pics are too grainy even with flash. Is there a solution for this?
raquib21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 6:14 AM   #6

i found noise too be too much on this pic... i dont know how to take decent candle pics... without flash... could someone suggest anything??
Attached Images

Faitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 8:40 AM   #7

raquib,

Turn down the ISO.

Faith,

The candle pic was taken at ISO 400. Lower the ISO to 100 or 200 and increase exposure time - that will reduce the graininess. The candle flame is overexposed...try locking focus on the flame rather than the candle holder. Your camera might not get a good lock on a flame, so you could try manual focus.

the Hun

Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:23 PM   #8

Thanks. I've tried it with auto mode. Suppose my mother won't be able to manually drive it, so I'll have to leave it to that mode. For indoor occasions the light and grains are sometimes different in the same positions and just in two consequent shots. see for an example.
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:23 PM   #9

and the next one
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2008, 6:28 PM   #10

raquib,

For your first picture, the camera selected ISO 400, and used ISO 800 for the second picture. That's why grain was more severe in the second pic. The camera was set on Auto, so it selected the higher ISO settings, due to the amount of available light in the room. Since there was a great deal of white in the shot (the wall and the clothing on the couple in the center), the flash shut off too quickly to properly expose the remaining people in the scene.

I wasn't suggesting setting the camera to Manual. Rather, set it on "P", then set your ISO to 200 or 100. The camera will still adjust the shutter speed and aperture automatically as before, but it will keep the ISO to where you set it. That will reduce the grain in your pics. By doing that, you will reduce your flash range a bit, but at least the pics should turn out cleaner.

Try it - I think you'll like it.

the Hun